Page 1 of 160 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: KV OSD

KV OSD

I recently was tipped off about this new software for the Minimosd or it clones. It is called KV OSD, though from the main wiki page it is a continuation of the rush osd.
    https://code.google.com/p/rush-osd-d...orted_Hardware

The OSD works by pulling the telemetry data from the multi-wii based flight controllers and overlaying it on the video feed.

I had a Mavlink OSD from another project so I decided to give this a try. I uploaded the arduino code (sketch) to the board following the directions here:
    https://code.google.com/p/rush-osd-d...e_Installation

I wired the OSD to the ACRO NAZE32 using this basic wiring:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Basic_Wiring.jpg 
Views:	48080 
Size:	51.3 KB 
ID:	38061

Diagram submitted by 1sq
    and created by WillM

Plugged in my video transmitter and camera and viola!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	OSD.JPG 
Views:	34360 
Size:	62.6 KB 
ID:	38060

Here are the features that I really like about this OSD.

1. It can display any data/information that your flight controller has
    - gps data
    - ground speed
    - altitude
    - compass
    - level (artificial horizion)
    - battery voltage
    - time
    - RSSI (still figuring this one out)
    - any other calculated values from the above

2. There is a fair amount of user configuration, available if you don't mind playing with the code.

3. You can change your PID settings from the menu interface in the OSD. This makes tuning a lot easier, no need to bring a computer to the field, or mess with a bluetooth module.

4. You can take advantage of the ADC functionality of the OSD and add your own sensors, will need a masters in soldering and very steady hands for this though.

I am only running an ACRO NAZE32 so it only has gyros, accelerometors, voltage, time, and mode. Here is a video of it in action from yesterday, rather boring video... but you can see how the OSD works.

http://youtu.be/_XqgvWIkS0M

Here is another video that I found with a lot more of the data displayed (not mine).

Tips/tricks

Short rundown:
    Tip from crashlander
    1. On TX: set your TX as for normal Multicopter (4 CH, no mixing, midpoints 1500, travel from 1000-2000)
    2. In Baseflight-Configurator: Assign switch on TX for "pass-thru"
    3. On TX + plane: activate "LEVEL/HORIZON" mode and check for proper control surface moves by tilting the plane (they should try to oppose the tilt)
    4. In Baseflight-Configurator: inverse those that are moving wrong
    5. On TX: Activate "PASS-THRU"
    6. On TX + plane: check for proper TX movement and inverse in TX those channels that are wrong
    7. In Baseflight-Configurator + plane: set servo midpoints (if you know your trims from before set control surface's to those).
    8. In Baseflight-Configurator + plane + TX:Move TX sticks to max positions and in Baseflight - Configurator adjust servo travels on plane
    9. You are done

Setting up RSSI on the PPM stream and configuring with KVOSD
    Tip from whakahere
    ------- ezuhf tools or OpenLRSng Configurator------
    - set channel 8 to link or rssi
    - output everything through ppm stream (ppm mux)

------ naze32 CLI -----
    set rssi_aux_channel = 4 (this mean the 4th spare channel ... aka channel 8)
    feature -TELEMETRY (Make sure that telemetry is NOT enabled)

------kvosd GUI -------
    set to multiwii
    turn pwm on (not ppm)

-----kvosd on screen osd -----
    set the calibration
    Last edited by Derrick; 3rd August 2014 at 10:52 AM.
    When nothing else out there will suit your needs... design and build it yourself.

The link to your video shouldnt have the .com at the end. Video is still processing.I have the supersimple osd on mine but might have to get one of these since they are so cheap and give even more information without being too much.
    Most of the money I made this year I spent on FPV,the rest I just wasted.

They are nearly the same cost as the simple OSD but give you so much more data/information and allow you to acces the PIDs and rates via OSD menu.

my video was taking to long to upload so I canceled it, it is uploading again now with different settings.
    When nothing else out there will suit your needs... design and build it yourself.

THE PUBLIC IS THE PROBLEM
    I have been using the KVOSD firmware since i started FPV. Its by far the cheapest, and most capable OSD option if you are on any multiwii platform.

I have the MinimOSD board modified to accept 0-5v analog RSSI input, although there are options available if you use PWM RSSI. Plus, if you buy your MinimOSD board from RTFQuads.com ( http://witespyquad.gostorego.com/fli.../minimosd.html ) it has all the necessary modifications and all the pins you need are accessible.

Heres a video of how my OSD looks:

I am running slightly modified code based on the r345 release. But the latest KVOSD v2.2 is quite impressive and I will be updating firmware soon.

Looking at the Diagram I dont see where it is getting the pack voltage from.Would it only work from 3s and pulling the pack voltage from where you are powering the cam and tx?

Quote Originally Posted by sparkyincali View Post
    Looking at the Diagram I dont see where it is getting the pack voltage from.Would it only work from 3s and pulling the pack voltage from where you are powering the cam and tx?
    It is getting pack voltage from the flight controller, it has an input.

THE PUBLIC IS THE PROBLEM
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkyincali View Post
    The Witespy minimOSD board has the pin inputs for both BATT voltage and a 2nd voltage input for Video voltage. It also has pins for RSSI input.

The board should handle 4S no problem.

NAZE32 flight controllers (and the RTFQuad.com Flip32 Controller) have voltage input pins used to monitor pack voltage. This information then gets passed thru to the MinimOSD. This also has no problem reading 16.8v 4S.

Ah yes I just looked that up and saw it.I am fairly new to multiwii.I am running the Acro Naze on my Spanky.I just oredered two and ftdi from witespy so hopefully next week I will get them in and replaced.

Co-Pilot
    I have one of the whitespy ones and i could never get pack voltage or RSSI to work but the AHI feature was cool. I was using his FLIP $15 WMC controller and there is no input to feed the voltage to the OSD, so after trying the tiny solder hack to the chip on the OSD I gave up and through it in a box. I would love to get it working.

Wow cant believe I have not heard of this osd before!! Thanks Derrick $11 is crazy cheap

Page 1 of 160 1231151101 ... LastLast