FPVLAB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can i go long range with 2.4 radio without buying LRS (with fpv)

some1

Question Can i go long range with 2.4 radio without buying LRS (with fpv)

So i was planning on buying an fpv system on the future but i cant find the right config..

Here's my problem:
    I want to reach good ranges wile having a 2.4ghz radio but also using only 900mhz fpv
    I dont change my mind on the fpv but i want 2.4 controller because its the cheapest way to go long range with an amplifier
    Now many people have interference issues wile using 2.4 with 900 so i wouldn't try it without some short of a filter (witch i know nothing about)

So to sum up my question : Is it possible to go long range WITHOUT an LRS wile using 900mhz fpv?

Anything is possible with enough testing and research, however some things aren't worth the hassle.

Long range flights are not fun if you have questions/doubts about your gear. It is a good rule of thumb to keep your control frequency below your video frequency. If you are dead set on using 2.4GHz for control then you should be looking at 5.8GHz as your video frequency. 5.8GHz will get you plenty of range with the proper antennas.
    Last edited by Derrick; 25th December 2013 at 04:40 PM.
    When nothing else out there will suit your needs... design and build it yourself.

A lot of what you want to do will depend on your antenna choices for 2.4 and the vid link, so yes it is possible... I am guessing you are talking about a 1w on the 2.4?

2.4 control is no fun, personal experience. I've had it go in lockout because of short distances and stuff like some trees. It can work, but it's not reliable and I'm really not comfortable with it.

Plus you'll piss off fellow fpv'ers on 2.4 video.

2.4 just doesn't have enough of that "oomph" to just push through obstacles. It's like 5.8 video. Will work, great for parkflying, but oh so fragile.

In all honesty, look into a 35/72mhz system. Stock they'll outperform 2.4ghz. One of the biggest advantages is that you get to know when you're on the edge of your range. And you've got a LOT more penetrating power. Downside is antenna size, while a UHF dipole is 30 centimeters (a foot), a 35mhz dipole would be 4 meters and a 72mhz about 2 meters (12 and 6 feet).

The other logical disadvantage is polarization. Your 35/72mhz antenna on the rx is typically lying flat on your wing (horizontally polarized), so if you keep your antenna upright (vertically polarized), you lose 27db or so, practically reducing your range by a factor 20 or so.

Despite that, I've taken 35mhz to 3km range with the stock setup.

2.4 on the other hand? You start losing signal at a few hundred yards. A mile with the best solutions. Still talking about a stock setup.

If a UHF is out of the question, go with 35/72. You'll have way more fun with it in terms of range and penetrating power.
    Cheers,
    Sven
    Quote Originally Posted by c5galaxy engineer View Post
    Zee is wrong, Grasshopper is ALWAYS right!

It can be done. It is the cheapest option,NOT the safest option.Note our location.Low noise and no people.
    Here is the full flight from our range test.
    AXN/FPV plane
    We wanted to test the range on our home built antenna so we went to the wide open desert and found a nice hill to set up on. We did a lot of studying google earth and found some good landmarks for reference.
    AXN modified to carry a Gopro.
    With a stock motor and a 30 amp esc.6*5.5 prop. We are flying a 9X radio with the frsky diy mod.Stock antenna, NO booster.
    Video RX: Boscam RC305 5.8GHz with Helical Antenna
    Video TX: Boscam 200mw 5.8 GHz with Cloverleaf Antenna
    3 lobe cloverleaf on the bird and a 7 turn helical on the ground
    Get good equipment. Learn how to get the most from what you have.
    Last edited by Zatoichi; 25th December 2013 at 09:47 PM.
    Entropy isnít what it used to be.

Navigator
    Quote Originally Posted by Reliku View Post
    2.4 on the other hand? You start losing signal at a few hundred yards. A mile with the best solutions. Still talking about a stock setup.

Goto disagree with you. I can only assume your experience was based on a crap 2.4 system.

It really depends on Which 2.4 control system you choose.

Last week I did 1.8km on a stock frsky taranis. I still had plenty rssi, so could have gone further. Soon they will release the LR12 receivers. These are said to allow 4-5km range.

The only disadvantage I see with 5.8 and 2.4 control is object penetration. You need to maintain line of site. So a simple case of preplan and check your flight path.

Pilot
    welp. i ran over 3 miles on my airtronics SD-10G + FHSS-3 rx and a 1258mhz vtx. but that's the difference in the best 2.4ghz radio system out there VS cheap crap
    you can do anything you want, but i'd go with UHF if you aspire to fly low enough to see anything.

you think UHF is expensive until you realize flying low is more fun, you shouldn't be flying low too far out & your other option is buy a flight controller thatll RTH on failsafe. at which point you could have just gone UHF and mostly solved the issue to begin with

some1

Talking

Thank you all
    i'm now searching for a uhf or a 35/72mhz for control and ill stick to the 900mhz or 1.2/1.3 fpv solution

OK, I admit. I used a spektrum DX7, while that's not a cheap radio, it's absolutely crap. Frsky gear will take you much further.

But the other disadvantages remain: penetration worse than UHF or 35/72mhz and when you lose signal it just goes into lockout, meaning less chance of recovery and a more fragile link.

I may have exaggerated a bit, but I definitely recommend taking 35/72 if a UHF is not possible. Plus it'll allow you to use 2.4 video, which is a big plus Imho.
    Cheers,
    Sven
    Quote Originally Posted by c5galaxy engineer View Post
    Zee is wrong, Grasshopper is ALWAYS right!

Navigator
    Agreed

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast