FPVLAB

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: Crash's Guide to FPV Radians

Just ordered a Radian Pro for a summer FPV build. Stay tuned for updates .
    Flying is the second greatest thrill to man. Flying inverted under a tree is the first.
    NEFPV^

Have also just ordered a Radian Pro. Very excited to see how it compares to the bixler. Now to start putting together a fpv setup.

Quote Originally Posted by keltik View Post
    Have also just ordered a Radian Pro. Very excited to see how it compares to the bixler. Now to start putting together a fpv setup.
    It climbs very quick at launch but takes forever to get down! The Bixler lands at a faster speed.

Quote Originally Posted by pogeybait View Post
    RSSI and variometer (at least an accurate vario) are not features you will find on a cheap OSD.

It sounds like you are not looking for long range. If that is true, then RSSI isn't necessary. As for the vario, you have options. Trappy/TBS have a nice "L1D" vario that functions through audio channel like a traditional vario. It is not an OSD. Several OSDs have climb rate indicators, but these are not useful unless the altitude reading is based on barometric pressure and even then are not really true varios. GPS based altitude is not accurate and certainly not for vario use. I know EagleTree has a barometric pressure add-on and some other OSDs have them as well.

If you are just looking to glide around in lazy circles with your Radian, looking for thermals, you would probably be better off not using any OSD and just learning to be alert for subtle changes in nose attitude. This will keep your weight down too. Battery voltage/current isn't really critical. Learn to program your transmitter to count down time when you have throttle past a certain percent (say 10 or 15%). Learn how long a 2200 or 3300 mAh battery gives you.
    Further to this, depending on your radio you can set the timer to activate whenever the throttle is above 0. With the Radian you really use the motor to climb and then throttle off to enjoy the plane. This way you will get a good idea how much throttle time you get out of your battery.

Has anyone with larger batteries have any issues getting out of high speed dives? I have been using my 1300 mah and can stay up for close to an hour, but have always wanted to try to be less conservative with a larger pack.

Does anyone here still fly FPV Radians? This thread has been dead for ages and I have a whole bunch of spare fpv gear and a Radian hanging on the wall doing sweet bugger all!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Navigator
    Quote Originally Posted by Radius View Post
    Does anyone here still fly FPV Radians? This thread has been dead for ages and I have a whole bunch of spare fpv gear and a Radian hanging on the wall doing sweet bugger all!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I fly my umx radian with fpv! A bit different, but actually surprisingly fun!

I definitely still do. It's super peaceful

Would you mind posting some specs and photos, to help others (me) with inspiration please?
    I currently have a spare Vector and EzOSD, so one of them might need to find a new home in the Radian

My Heron outperforms my Radian

Should I post my Heron vs Radian review? ehh why not..
    Here are my observations of Radian vs Heron:

Speed
    Radian:
    12mph for speed (according to Eagle Tree Vector) with the trims set to have a little bit of dive
    8mph with the trims pulled back a little for maximum float (at the expense of being pitch sensitive)
    Heron:
    -max camber = 6mph, 3mph the glider would tip-stall and tumble
    -max glide = 22mph (according to ET Vector)
    -max reflex = 32mph (at the expense of higher sink rate)

overall float
    My Radian gets pulled skyward like flying a leaf in the wind or something, a ship for lazily bobbling around on a calm day. Heron sinks out quicker, and requires a more active role of hunting down and coring thermals, a more constant level of control input is needed to keep the Heron going as it doesn't self-level like the Radian does.

Overall conclusion:
    I would take a FPV Heron over a FPV Radian on any given day. The Radian is nigh-on useless at mid-day flying (rowdy Arizona desert thermals) and when the lift dies off it isn't much better than a Heron. When I switch off the Heron at the end of the day I am lucky to get even another twenty minutes of flying. The Heron ended up being better for FPV when the lift dies off anyway because it functions as a motor ship quite well too. My 1ah 3s battery I have in my Radian is good for a quick jaunt around the field but the Heron's 3s 5.2ah battery flies the glider to great distances even when the thermals are non-existent.
    Ultimately the speed of the Heron played one of the most crucial factors in the Heron outperforming the Radian. Radian finds itself in the sink and gets mucked up, unable to escape fast enough. Once I find that first thermal and get up a bit with the Heron I can ignore all the little lift pockets, blast through pockets of sink and focus on the points of strongest lift.

(4 min 2 sec)

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314