Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The DJI Phantom/Vision thread - looking for advise? Post here

1. GoPro is notorious as unreliable flight cam. Yes, some people use it and it works fine. The GP Hero3 supposedly has a recent software update that solved some drop-out problems, but I still read about people losing video for no apparent reason (battery full, SD card empty). In my opinion, not reliable for flight cam use. If you want to risk your quad on a system that is known to be unreliable, go for it.

2. Putting your flight cam on a gimbal is a recipe for disaster. Because the image is stabilized, your perception of attitude (i.e., multirotor in relation to ground) will be skewed. Perhaps some advanced pilots can fly with a gimbal stabilized flight cam, but it will make it very difficult to fly - for no added benefit.

3. The reason we get a HAM license is because it is legally required. Are people "really watching?" I don't know, but I don't run stop signs at empty intersections either. Be a good ambassador for FPV and run legit. You only need a rudimentary understanding of physics to pass the exam and it costs under $20 for a 10 year license.
    KG7BFT
    "Alea iacta est"

Navigator
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeybait View Post
    Krueger - with all due respect, your attitude stinks and you clearly have much to learn. If you think GoPro and gimbal are a great idea for multirotor flight cam - go try it. Otherwise, do yourself a favor and learn a little. At least you've come to the right place.
    Pogeybait, I don't see any reason why I would deserve this comment...?

I do have a lot to learn, that's why I'm here. I don't "think" the GoPro is better, it was a question (hence the questionmarks)

Quote Originally Posted by Channel 1 View Post
    And because I asked does that give me a attitude that stinks?
    Thanks

1. GoPro is notorious as unreliable flight cam. Yes, some people use it and it works fine. The GP Hero3 supposedly has a recent software update that solved some drop-out problems, but I still read about people losing video for no apparent reason (battery full, SD card empty). In my opinion, not reliable for flight cam use. If you want to risk your quad on a system that is known to be unreliable, go for it.

2. Putting your flight cam on a gimbal is a recipe for disaster. Because the image is stabilized, your perception of attitude (i.e., multirotor in relation to ground) will be skewed. Perhaps some advanced pilots can fly with a gimbal stabilized flight cam, but it will make it very difficult to fly - for no added benefit.

3. The reason we get a HAM license is because it is legally required. Are people "really watching?" I don't know, but I don't run stop signs at empty intersections either. Be a good ambassador for FPV and run legit. You only need a rudimentary understanding of physics to pass the exam and it costs under $20 for a 10 year license.
    Now why didn't you answer this immediately when I asked instead of giving the other (useless) comment?

This is usefull information, thanks for that! I figured the gimbal would make it harder to see the behaviour of the Phantom, but I thought a good OSD (with artificial horizon or simular) would counteract that. The benefits of using a GoPro as FPV-cam would be that it's easy to frame your shots, one less camera (equels less wheight, less power comsumption, less hassle) and maybe a better image?

Regarding the HAM-license, I live in Belgium, a license isn't required here for FPV (as far as I know).

(Please keep in mind English isn't my mothertongue, it's possible I express myself wrong but I never intentionally want to insult anyone!)

1. GoPro is notorious as unreliable flight cam. Yes, some people use it and it works fine. The GP Hero3 supposedly has a recent software update that solved some drop-out problems, but I still read about people losing video for no apparent reason (battery full, SD card empty).
    I am running a GP Hero 3 and haven't had any of those problems so far, and I did discover the SD card being empty or full or even missing has no effect on it's operation as a camera. The only thing I don't like about it having to buy a USB cord for the video output, it IMO would have been better to have used a 3.5mm TRRS jack.

Don't use one and don't want the added weight.

That's a Catch-22, if you are un-licensed then if caught on a first violation, you will be issued a C&D, however if you are licensed you should follow the emission standards and I have seen things FPV related that don't, and since you are licensed and should know better, your chances of getting a violation right off the bat are therefore considerably greater.

Wayne
    Last edited by Channel 1; 13th January 2014 at 04:15 PM.

@ Wayne

Now why didn't you answer this immediately when I asked instead of giving the other (useless) comment?

Because all this information is already posted.

That's a Catch-22, if you are un-licensed then if caught on a first violation, you will be issued a C&D, however if you are licensed you should follow the emission standards and I have seen things FPV related that don't, and since you are licensed and should know better, your chances of getting a violation right off the bat are therefore considerably greater.

No. This is not complicated. It isn't a trick or catch-22. It is very simple - you can either obey the law or ignore it.

@ Krueger

I apologize. I took your "cam is a cam" comment to be flippant. A lot of people come here asking for advice and then lecture back without any experience or authority. I misunderstood your attitude and I apologize.
    KG7BFT
    "Alea iacta est"

Navigator
    Pogeybait: No worries, already forgotten

How about the benefits of using a GoPro as FPV-cam, these look like valid arguments?

- Easy to frame your shots
    - One less camera (equels less wheight, less power comsumption, less hassle)
    - Tilt function of the gimbal (able to point downwards = better view + easyer to land on an exact spot)
    - Maybe a better image?

I use a Hero 3+ Black, I suppose all the "problems" are taken care off by now...

No. This is not complicated. It isn't a trick or catch-22. It is very simple - you can either obey the law or ignore it.
    Ok do you know how to modify the PA of an FPV transmitter to reduce spurious emissions and do you have the test equipment to ensure your transmitter is clean and is operating within the FCC regulations?

If not, then how can you be sure you are "obeying" the law?

You're taking a device that is not certified (part 15 or otherwise) and transmitting with it, as such with an un-certified device, you as a licensed operator, not the manufacturer, are responsible for ensuring it's emissions are compliant, that is if you want to obey the law or more accurately the regulations.

BTW the at the Federal level FCC is a regulatory agency, they write regulations, only Congress can write laws.

Wayne

Navigator
    Chill guys Agree to disagree and let's move on

Just ordered the Tiny OSD III directly from Skylark (should have an updated 80A current sensor - hope that solves the problem regarding the mAh being wrong).
    Immeditely send a mail to them after the order to ask if the latest firmware is already installed (since there seems to be a problem for some people updating themselves - I also run a W7 64bit computer so don't want to take the chance). Hope to hear from them soon. Asked the same question here on the forum as well but without a reply so far, guess he can't read everything here...

Quote Originally Posted by Krueger F View Post
    Just ordered the Tiny OSD III directly from Skylark (should have an updated 80A current sensor - hope that solves the problem regarding the mAh being wrong).
    I take it you already have this partially working?

Wayne

Navigator
    This is the first OSD I buy. Ordered it this morning (local time GMT +1), hope it arrives fast as I am curious to test it all out!
    Just read about these problems and would prefer to avoid them myself

Quote Originally Posted by Krueger F View Post
    This is the first OSD I buy. Ordered it this morning (local time GMT +1), hope it arrives fast as I am curious to test it all out!
    Just read about these problems and would prefer to avoid them myself
    From what I can tell you came to the right place.

Wayne

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast