FPVLAB

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Stupid dog

Dogs are a serious pain & most owners really dont know the danger behind carbon fibre blades travelling at near the speed of sound! 9 times out of 10 I have my mrs with me & she always warns the owners that if the dog goes near the heli & loses its head, we can not be held responsible, then she tells them of the student who accidently cut off his instructors head with a RC heli...the owners soon go then!
    I never really got on with a 450 size heli, to skittish for my liking but the 600...thats a whole new ball game, far more stable & I can take my hands off in a hover for about 5 - 7 seconds before needing any input. I think you are doing really well with the 450...flying FPV & hovering is very difficult. I find as soon as I feel her going light on the skids to rip the throttle open some more, get up about 10feet or so as quick as you can & then settle down.

Regards
    Ross
    FREEMAN on the land, taking back the power

I've found that dogs don't really care for RC stuff in general.. I have two that go nuts as soon as they hear the motor beep when the ESC arms. If I had to speculate, I'd say its the ESC switching noise they don't like. Even if the dogs are in the other room, if I spool up the motor they start whining.

As for helis in general, I'm not that skilled a heli pilot.. I have an mCPx that I can flip inverted if I have a LOT of room, but can't hold an inverted hover - I flip it and go right back to upright. I also have a nitro Raptor .30 that I've never even flown before because frankly the thing intimidates the hell out of me with the size. Bought it used; looks like the previous owner never flew it either or took immaculate care of it because there's not a drop of nitro oil residue anywhere on it. When I started getting into FPV I considered making it an FPV heli but I don't know how well FPV gear takes to nitro engine vibrations.
    Far better is it to dare mighty things, even though checkered by failure; than to take rank with those who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.

My dog loves my RCs. He learned early on that its fun to jump at the heli but not actually touch it He loves chasing my nitro truck all over as well, that's probably the most fun he's ever had. Makes his paws bleed if he chases it on asphalt, can almost keep up, but on grass he can outrun it so I have to turn fast or he bites the tires and body and flips it.

He also likes chasing my FPV plane if I slow down for him:

Navigator
    I think people are generally as dumb as their dogs. Yesterday I was flying in a big public park. Not only did this couple have their dog unleashed. Not only did the dog come bolting up to my Blade 450 (recently acquired and a humbling experience coming from all my experience and ability with fixed wing). Not only did I climb the heli up a hundred feet and shout out, "Hey there". But then the couple with the dog casually take their walk off the sidewalk, come strolling right through the field and under the helicopter and walk to the other side. There were a number of us flying there, too (but most everyone else was out a ways with their fixed wings). I wondered rather loudly what would happen if someone came walking through a soccer game.

Flying these helicopters in a park makes flying FPV miles away seem safe.

Bill I can relate to how you are feeling mate....they do tend to think we are playign with little toys. My advice is to ask them to leash thier dog for 1 minute, then land & show them the blades are made of carbon fibre & would take thier dogs head right off its shoulders without batting an eyelid about doing it. The look of utter surprise on thier faces says it all.

Ross
    FREEMAN on the land, taking back the power

It depends on the dog, I take my neighbors German Shepard out sometimes, and it took one look at the multirotor and yawned, she knew right away it was a "human thing".
    But she is a smart dog too.

Far more interested in squirrels, and that dog that charged you in the park looked like a pit.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Macsgrafs View Post
    Bill I can relate to how you are feeling mate....they do tend to think we are playign with little toys. My advice is to ask them to leash thier dog for 1 minute, then land & show them the blades are made of carbon fibre & would take thier dogs head right off its shoulders without batting an eyelid about doing it. The look of utter surprise on thier faces says it all.

Ross
    Then watch as they call the cops for flying something that dangerous in a park.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEil2vo6dlQ
    Locals Only Brah.

Navigator
    I have a kid problem...

I had a nearby neighbor 12yr old kid come out of no where running into my front yard and attempt to jump up in the air to hit my Align M690 like some kind of nut. I was just hovering to check out the gimbal and luckily saw this kid from the corner of my eye. I was quickly able to pull up as the kid jumped up trying to hit my multirotor, as he was just 2-3 inches shy of hitting the camera with his hand. I was so furious and shocked I had to yell at the kid to stay the hell outta my yard and not ever do that again you could have seriously gotten hurt, as he ran away knowing what he had done was wrong before i even said anything.

I would approach the boys parents however from all that I have witnessed, this boys parents walk, talk and act like complete thugs as the cops have been to their place to break up several domestic disputes they have already had with my other neighbors and their kids. These are the only people on my block who act stupid like this.

I was flying my little 180 Leora quad late one evening and here again comes the same damn kid running toward my yard as fast as he can and then just stops shy of my driveway trying to fake me out. Next time I'm going to have my camera mounted to my radio while I am out in my front yard flying,I have to be careful so there can be no way this little pukes parents can ever say i intentionally hit their kid with an aircraft if he should succeed. I won't ever fly the Align multirotor again in my front yard, as that was just too close of a call and would have cost me a ton of money if he would have hit me hard enough to make it crash.

The first incident took place on a school day, the kid wasn't even supposed to be home. I'm thinking he probably had got expelled or suspended as afterwards I had seen him everyday at home that week.
    Last edited by Clouseau; 10th March 2016 at 06:49 PM.
    "If it ain't broke, fix it until it is because obviously it doesn't have enough bells and whistles as it is...

Quote Originally Posted by Clouseau View Post
    I would approach the boys parents however from all that I have witnessed, this boys parents walk, talk and act like complete thugs as the cops have been to their place to break up several domestic disputes they have already had with my other neighbors and their kids. These are the only people on my block who act stupid like this.
    I have run into people like this before and they are oxygen stealing lawsuits waiting to happen, they assume zero responsibility for any actions by themselves or their larva and blame everyone else when it hits the fan and someone gets hurt, after which they seek out a ambulance chasing personal injury attorney to make them "whole," wasting more of their time than it is worth for a slam suit settlement, but being dumb at math, they think they have won once they have settled.

Sadly they in their pursuit for a few coins, they create a real problem for who they go after.

Basically they are scum.

Wayne
    Everybody loves a bunny.

Full Disclosure: I am a bit of a misanthropist.

Look at the planet, our behavior is not unlike that of locust, endless consumption with no thought for tomorrow.

That was the strangest thing about living overseas, I didn't realize how batshit crazy the US was until I came back.
    Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius
    -
    Arnaud Amalric
    Locals Only Brah.

Not starting a feud, but you posted to a 5 year old thread like it was active.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast