FPVLAB

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stupid dog

Navigator

Stupid dog

I've been working on a T-Rex 450 with the thought that it might be able to be turned into a platform stable enough to get decent video.

I recently managed to get the tail rotor to behave properly and was starting to do some vibration testing. The other morning I was just getting it into a hover when a dog started charging toward the heli. I had to get it up high quickly, then scoot out of the park far enough to get the dog disinterested in it.

Idiot owner doesn't realize that there's a leash law in this state.

An earlier test:

The TBS-69 camera (mounted beneath the HD camera) provides me with a good FPV reference whenever the helicopter gets too far for me to determine orientation. And with something that small, it doesn't take much.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Video helicopter.jpg 
Views:	280 
Size:	99.9 KB 
ID:	4202

Engineer for Jesus Christ IBCrazy's Avatar
    That idiot owner probably doesn't realize that his dog is still alive because you were aware enough and quick enough on the sticks to climb out of it's reach in time.

Nice cut and run. Mybe I need to get my T-Rex 450 out of mothballs.

-Alex
    If it is broken, fix it. if it isn't broken, I'll soon fix that.

videoaerialsystems.com - Performance video piloting

Pilot
    I kinda like the replay image. Also, the heli, looks pretty cool
    is that real speed in the first video or accelerated?

Navigator
    Quote Originally Posted by ZobZibZab View Post
    I kinda like the replay image. Also, the heli, looks pretty cool
    is that real speed in the first video or accelerated?
    That's the actual speed. It covered 900 feet in 20 seconds from a standing start, which is an average of 30 mph.

I chose the Replay over the Contour because it didn't have the problem of a black streak appearing when bright light sources were just outside the frame. And it handles lighting changes and color balance better than the GoPro. The drawback is that the battery life is short, less than two hours. Maybe just more than one hour. And the battery is built-in, unable to be replaced. That's probably due to the small size.

I fly with my zeph where a lot people go with their dogs. If I buzz over the field, the dogs having a blast running after it. Sometimes I do normall flying and keeping the dogs entertaint with low passes. Sometimes they sit behind me and wait until I launch my zeph.

But I always know that there is a danger behind it, so I make sure not to flow to low not to be in the reach of the dogs. But I can imagen that their holders are happy that I tired them off.
    FPV killed my bank account

That is one sweet heli! How come you just use the FPV cam as a backup instead of flying by it?

Navigator
    Quote Originally Posted by Vitamin J View Post
    That is one sweet heli! How come you just use the FPV cam as a backup instead of flying by it?
    I can't judge proximity yet, and have a hard time hovering just by looking at the screen. Eventually I'll sort out the visual cues. For now I'm still learning how to fly it and put it where I want it.

Funny thing is that when I flew real airplanes I could land at night just with the runway lights. My instructor kept turning off the landing light. So the one time I did it myself I nearly forgot to turn it on until I was just about to touch down.

Navigator
    Quote Originally Posted by egosession View Post
    I fly with my zeph where a lot people go with their dogs. If I buzz over the field, the dogs having a blast running after it. Sometimes I do normall flying and keeping the dogs entertaint with low passes. Sometimes they sit behind me and wait until I launch my zeph.

But I always know that there is a danger behind it, so I make sure not to flow to low not to be in the reach of the dogs. But I can imagen that their holders are happy that I tired them off.
    Sounds like you found some friends who look forward to having you come back and play!

Windbreaker,

Do you have more pictures of your heli? I was toying with the idea of getting one of my 450's FPVed all out. Do you use asymetrical blades? Im intrested in your setup and more info provided would be awsome.
    youtube.com/nue3nthlapy vimeo.com/enthlapy

Navigator
    Quote Originally Posted by Enthlapy View Post
    Do you have more pictures of your heli? I was toying with the idea of getting one of my 450's FPVed all out. Do you use asymetrical blades? Im intrested in your setup and more info provided would be awsome.
    It's in a state of "perpetual evolution" so what's there today might not be there next week.

Here's what's in it so far: T-Rex 450 SE V2; Edge 325 FBL blades, HS-5065MG cyclic & tail, K&B tail rotor blades, Chinese tail weight & KDE tail rotor links; carbon fiber pushrod, Futaba 8FG Super 2.4 gHz system, Skookum Robotics SL-720 digital flybar.

There's a Team Blacksheep TBS-69 camera for FPV under the nose and a Replay 1080XD HD camera above it.

The upper and lower halves of the helicopter have been separated with vibration isolators I made. It consists of aluminum "C" channels I built from aluminum sheets. The isolators are blocks of Align PU gel. Since I did the dog run I did a slight modification that might help isolate the vibrations better than before. There were a couple of pieces of Spectra line holding the isolators together, but I modified them so now there's nothing hard in them at all. It's very flexible yet secure enough so they won't come apart.

The transmitter is a 900 mHz video transmitter I got from Range Video. There are others available that are as good or better.

I believe the Futaba 2.4 gHz system is good enough to handle the task as I'm not going to go more than a mile. Probably not even a half mile.

Hope the weather settles down. I'd like to do a definitive test of the vibration isolators. I'm also planning to install turnbuckle links to fine tune the pitch of the main rotor blades.

Name:	Video helicopter.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	99.9 KB 
ID:	4227

Name:	IMG_6091.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	93.2 KB 
ID:	4228

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast