FPVLAB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aloha from Maui

Cool Aloha from Maui

I've been loving fpvlab for the past month, so much good experience and content shared! I've been active in 3D printing for the past few years and multirotors since June, now starting with some CTH fixed wing foamies to try longer range FPV. I've been lazy lately on posting pics and videos but have my personal stuff at OhmEye.com and my Youtube channel.

My FPV gear approach is currently OpenLRSng on OrangeRX hardware and soon Hawkeye, with Fatshark Attitudes and ImmersionRC vTX plus some Lawmate 2G4. I have been a HAM since the mid 80's (N6SIW) and am making my own UHF antennas using some of the excellent info I've found in this community.

I enjoyed RC in the late 80's to early 90's rather actively, I had boats, cars, several planes, and a heli. Then no RC for 20 years... boy have things changed. Lipoly and BL motors totally changed the game for me, and now FPV has changed it again. Although I don't think of myself as a new pilot, I'm taking it slow to avoid wasteful expense and enjoying the process of starting over from scratch. My first plane in 20 years is a CTH Albatross 3 channel, just to reorient myself. I also have a CTH Assassin in the box waiting, and my eyes on a Deep Reaper for my first fully equipped longer range FPV platform. I like the utility of EPP foam and am happy to wave goodbye to my old days of balsa and monokote and spending more time building or repairing damage than flying. The present "me" is designing/3D printing/flying multirotor frames that the past "me" would have drooled over, and it's just pure fun!

I'm also an electronics and AVR hobbyist and Linux professional, and am really enjoying the open source projects that make so much of this stuff possible on my budget. Multiwii, Baseflight, Naze32, OpenLRSng, the Chrome configurators, and so many other pieces make this hobby truely DIY with levels of usability and flexibility that to me are what make OSS and DIY shine. Many of the commercial FPV vendors really seem to "get" this stuff too and exploit/support it in some of hte best ways possible to the benefit of all, which impresses me as well and makes me happy to support them in return!

So Aloha to everybody from South Maui!

Welcome to the lab! Sounds like you are doing it right.

Went to Maui last year and I sure do miss it. Cant wait to go back and do some FPV there.

Welcome to the Lab!!!
    I will be OUTSIDE, so if anyone looks for me, I will be OUTSTANDING!!!!

Welcome

Navigator
    Aloha! Welcome to the Lab!!.... If you get over to the big island hit me up, its not as windy over here.... I just ordered my first FPV dedicated wing and have maui on the list of soon to fly. Although I might only bring my pro unless I fly across the Alenuihaha.LOL

Aloha
    Alex

ImmersionRC Support Guru swillhide's Avatar
    Welcome!
    AMA # 1015480 HAM Callsign # Procrastinating..
    Futaba 9c w/Ezuhf /Skywalker 1880 or anything else that I can Lawn Dart.
    Retired: Disco(Sold), Skywalker 1900(Dirt Nap), Qav540g/Nazav2/Iosd mk2

Welcome. I'm on Oahu. Can't wait to see some footage/stills. Is Molokai within reach?

I'm a long way from any attempt for Molokai, but it's only about 15km shore-to-shore at the closest point so should be possible. I'd like to get to a point where I can try it.

Navigator
    Im in on an iner-island flight some day, definitely on the FPV bucket list.

Welcome to the Lab!
    "I Like Waffles" : FPVLab on Facebook and FPVLab on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast