DragonLinkRC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dragonlink Range issues, probably my own fault, HELP PLEASE!

Dragonlink Range issues, probably my own fault, HELP PLEASE!

I've been having range issues with my Dragonlink at only 1 km. I've range tested it on the ground in micro watt mode with the video system on and off. I'm getting 40-50 away with no failsafe. Can someone point me towards troubleshooting the Dl system for poor range? It's probably something I've done wrong, I'm relatively new to FPV and this is my first UHF system.
    Thanks
    Setup
    1900mm Skywalker Carbon Condor
    Getfpv.com 1.3 ghz 800mw video tx
    IB crazy circ polarized antenna set
    Getfpv.com 690 TVL camera
    Gopro Hero3
    6500Mah 3 cell Lipo
    KK4UDS

Co-Pilot
    You need to show us how you have things installed. Take some pictures. Separation of your DL rx and the Vid tx is very important. As is how you wire everything up. Pictures would do wonders in this situation.

Ok here are some pics of my setup. My Dragonlink reciever and Ruby flight controller are directly behind the door in the side of the fuselage.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	705 
Size:	257.4 KB 
ID:	35234

Views:	352 
Size:	229.6 KB 
ID:	35235

Views:	355 
Size:	230.9 KB 
ID:	35236

Does the proximity of the video tx effect Dragonlink range?
    KK4UDS

Dragonlink Dissapointment.... I wish I would have bought EZ UHF, I cant even get a Mile out!
    I've moved my video tx and antenna to wingtip so I have plenty of separation from Dragonlink. Range test at home works fine 40- 50ft in micro power mode. My video link is rock solid so I can see the rssi suddenly drop out and go into failsafe/RTH.
    I'm using the Ruby autopilot/osd, it displays rssi level similar to a battery icon rather than a numerical value. It starts out strong, I'd say 90-100 percent. Even at close range it starts dropping down to half or less. The attitude of the airplane doesn't seem to make any difference. Neither does throttle setting or control inputs.
    I'm going to change out the reciever and see if that helps any. It's been one problem after another with this thing. Had to buy a different radio because Dragonlink wouldn't work with my Futaba transmitter. I couldn't get any support when I was having that problem so I don't expect any now. If I didn't have near $500 in this thing with 2 extra receivers I'd rip it out and throw it in the trash. Getting frustrated
    Anyone else had these problems?
    Here's my setup

Skywalker Carbon 1900
    Dragonlink :-(
    Ruby autopilot/osd
    Rmrc 800mw 1.3ghz video tx
    Lumineer super 690 camera
    Gopro 3
    3cell 6500 Mah lipo
    KK4UDS

Co-Pilot
    You probably need to recheck all your cabling. Keep separation between your DL rx and antenna and your vid tx and make sure you have your antennas in proper orientation on both you plane on your radio. Not sure what your problem is with your Futaba, but the DL is pretty much plug and play with all the Futaba radios I know. Also, make sure you run calibration for at least fifteen minutes with your DL and the receiver.

Reckless Video Operator squishy's Avatar
    have you ever gone through the calibration proceedure with your DL rx?

By the way, the distance a DL rx will go without an antenna is about 1km, so you might be having antenna issues..
    Flight Club - "In thrust we trust"

I guess I wasn't real clear in my earlier posts. My Dragonlink is going into failsafe at less than 1 mile. I'm not too concerned with low rssi readings at minimal distance, only failsafe and RTH ending my new personal distance record of 1 mile. I know it's not much, but we all had to start somewhere, even Chris H. :-) If it was just common sense I wouldn't be asking for help
    KK4UDS

Odd, mine in micro mode well take at least a block to failsafe. Have you tried a different antenna??

Wow, from the Dragonlink setup video I thought 50' in micro watts was normal. I've checked the receiver
    antenna, it's ok and installed correctly with the fed lead up and ground down. I'm not sure how I can check the Tx whip antenna. I'm going to try another receiver and complete calibrate,bind, and setup procedure. Hopefully can find something wrong.
    KK4UDS

Ok, like I said to start with "Probably my own fault". I admit to being new to FPV and hopefully my stupid mistake can save someone else some trouble.
    I sent a data file from my last flight to Jim Hall @ RUBY. As it turns out the Ruby autopilot is initially configured with a 1 km maximum range then it automatically initiates return to home. This is to hopefully prevent catastrophic fly always in the case there was a problem with installation or configuration of the Ruby AP! Jim said my radio signal was solid with no failsafe whatsoever. He sent me a new configuration and I downloaded it immediately not m RUBY.
    I apologize to DRAGONLINK for bad mouthing a perfectly fine LRS. Lesson learned.
    Meya culpa
    KK4UDS