FPVLAB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Live broadcast, commercial application.

Navigator

Question Live broadcast, commercial application.

Hi, everyone. This is my first post here so I'm hoping I'm on the right place.

So this is the thing, I started a new Aerial Photography company in my country (Chile) and we get a lot of requests regarding live streaming, eg during a concert, get the images live directly to the giant screens.
    We are now using a FatShark Goggle system for monitoring purposes but it gets a lot of interference so it's not really usable for this application.
    I've been doing research over the past couple of weeks looking for a Tx & Rx capable of at least get a clear image, it'd be great if it were HD but as far as I understand that's not possible yet for this kind of UAVs (Tech specs below)
    Ok so I've been learning about gains and power and how it all relates to a better range, but nowhere I've found discussions about video quality.

To us range is not so much an issue as we don't plan on flying further than 100m away, except for maybe some promotional videos (there's a 260m tall building here, the tallest in our country, which we would like to film as we go up to the top and back down). What we are looking for is a stable and clear image, with as little interference (none would be great) as possible,

So after all the research I've done and looking through videos and forums, I came to the conclusion that this might be the Tx that I need http://www.fpvflying.com/products/Vi...z-1000-mW.html (also I'm thinking about replacing the Rx antenna for a patch antenna to get even better reception.)

Weight is also not so much an issue as the craft is rated to lift up to 10kg (overall weight inc battery and camera is about 7kg, although still unconfirmed, could be less or a little more)

As for power, the Tx above can be powered using a 3s battery so it doesn't add too much weight.

So if someone who know about this stuff could point me in the right direction (or tell me if I'm already there) I'd really appreciate it.

Gear:
    Craft: Large Octocopter. 1.5 mt span from motor to motor
    Gimbal: Photohigher AV200
    Camera: Nikon D600

Thank, everyone, hopefully someone will help with this.

Navigator
    I don't know anything about fatshark but I hear that you can replace the standard 5.8 ghz receiver module in the goggles with a 2.4 ghz receiver module. This frequency is much better for flying with trees in between you and the copter...the lower the frequency the better the object penetration and range, in general.

I use a higher power TX and/or better antennas. You should try some circularly polarized i.e. cloverleaf antennas for 5.8ghz...linear is bad for this frequency. You've tried changing channels I assume.

I don't visit forums often.

Navigator
    Thanks for taking the time to post a reply.
    I don't know about changing the Rx module, I'd prefer not to mess with the system.

We don't plan on having much obstruction between the copter and us because we always fly LOS for safety reasons.
    I'm aware of the fact that lower frequencies are better, hence a 1.2ghz Tx instead of the 5.8 that the Fatshark uses. Also this Tx is 1200mw, which is very powerful given that it's low frequency, I don't remember the math but that's the equivalent of a 5.8 working at like 6000mw.
    As for the antenna, I may get a patch antenna for the Rx but for the Tx I don't think I'll need a different antenna than the one that comes with the kit.

What kind of Tx Rx do you use and how does it perform?

Navigator
    I use a 900mhz 200vtx from hobby king for indoors FPV. I use a regulated, stepped up 12v power supply (which drastically improves performance I have found. I use Polulu's $4 mini-board--this is cheaper than the TI chips used to make such regulators typically)

Here is what the video looks like:

http://youtu.be/x7JAL_fO-A8

I highly recommend that you make/get a set of circularly polarized antennas...they are supposed to help tremendously with 5.8 ghz.

The 2.4ghz module that I mentioned is a direct swap I believe. I saw a video on it.

Navigator
    You can get HD video. This has to be done using a digital system, not the analog systems you see FPVers use. Look in to ethernet based video systems, it's what we use for the UAV company I work for.

Navigator

Live broadcast, commercial application.

Quote Originally Posted by Khosravi View Post
    You can get HD video. This has to be done using a digital system, not the analog systems you see FPVers use. Look in to ethernet based video systems, it's what we use for the UAV company I work for.
    Indeed. OP, you are just looking in the wrong place. If you act professional you have to buy professional...
    Have a look at Teredek: http://www.teradek.com/
    HD steaming the way ENG crews do it. If you see a news camera at a live event and he isn't tethered chances are you will see a Teredek Cube mounted on the back of his camera.

Navigator
    Thanks, popwebz. I has already looked into Teradek's gear but that's a little out of budget at the moment, so hopefully soon we'll be able to afford it. The Clip looks like the best option for us.

Navigator
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodrigo_trad View Post
    Thanks, popwebz. I has already looked into Teradek's gear but that's a little out of budget at the moment, so hopefully soon we'll be able to afford it. The Clip looks like the best option for us.
    You're welcome. The Clip looks exciting, thanks for your reply I haven't seen that one yet. I know $600 is a lot when you can get FPV gear for $200, but compared to the cost of their earlier products it looks like it could be worth it!

Navigator
    Yeah, however the clip apparently only transmits to an iDevice for monitoring, in order to get a HD signal out to a monitor you need the Cube Decoder, which is like $1800, so again, not really affordable. And $600 for only monitoring seems like too much.

Navigator

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast