Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help Me Spend My Wife's Money!

Navigator

Help Me Spend My Wife's Money!

My first post, & I thought you might want to help me whip my wife into shape for the holiday gift giving season! I've been flying a DJI Phantom (no snickering, now, someday I'll get a real quad) since last January, and smaller quads for about a year before that, & I'd like to offer my thoughts on putting together my first FPV setup. I've swapped out the stock Phantom tx to a Futaba T8J, have upgraded the motors, props, landing gear and stuck a Flytrex data logger on for grins & giggles. I do most all flights in open country, and expect FPV used primarily for framing Gopro video...& don't see a need for long distance. But my old eyes don't play well with goggles, so will need to use a LCD monitor, and I solder about as good as I can make cats bark, so plug n play is a plus.

So... Here's my wish list, subject to your approval. Be honest if you will, cruel if you must, but remember, my wife's money in exchange for my happyness is no object!

Tx. Immersion RC 600mW
    Rx. Immersion RC Uno
    Antenna. Bluebeam RHCP
    Camera. RMRC 700
    Monitor. No idea... Large & bright as possible

Personally I cannot fly from a screen and find goggles way better and I might not be old (only 57) but wear fairly strong glasses for reading (+3.5) and find that I don't even need the diopter inserts using my Dominator goggles, took a couple of flights to get into the groove but it has been well worth it.

Pete
    similis vobis fugere eam furatus!

• Edith Sitwell "I am patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it."

Quote Originally Posted by PeteDee View Post
    Personally I cannot fly from a screen and find goggles way better and I might not be old (only 57) but wear fairly strong glasses for reading (+3.5) and find that I don't even need the diopter inserts using my Dominator goggles, took a couple of flights to get into the groove but it has been well worth it.

Pete
    Nearly the same age as Pete, wear glasses for reading and driving, also find Dominators are fine without inserts

Cheers

You're not looking at something close. You're looking at a virtual screen that appears as if it's a few meters away

The proposed set up will work, but you might want a lower power vtx if it's only for close range
    Cheers,
    Sven
    Quote Originally Posted by c5galaxy engineer View Post
    Zee is wrong, Grasshopper is ALWAYS right!

Re: Help Me Spend My Wife's Money!

Quote Originally Posted by Reliku View Post
    You're not looking at something close. You're looking at a virtual screen that appears as if it's a few meters away

The proposed set up will work, but you might want a lower power vtx if it's only for close range
    But I think irc is only building 25 and 600mw for 5.8g (not counting fatshark txs) and then I'd go with the 600 as well.

You upgraded a DJI phantom with all that? Why not buy a more suited quad like the TBS Disco or GetFPV QAV500?
    "Truly superior pilots are those who use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills"- Author unknown

KF7TRX

True, but really, 25mw will give you plenty of range! You could go a few hundred meters with that no-problem, it's legal everywhere, it draw far less current and it's generally less noisy on other components.

I fly with 250mw, but bear in mind that the difference between 250 and 25 is only about three times as less range, and I can get a fair distance with the 250mw fat shark tx
    Cheers,
    Sven
    Quote Originally Posted by c5galaxy engineer View Post
    Zee is wrong, Grasshopper is ALWAYS right!

Navigator
    Thanx to all for your input... Yea, goggles probably could work, but I've tried them a couple of time at the local field & had a real hard time. And yep...all that in a Phantom, but you're right... Will eventually move to a larger frame if I can sneak it past the wife...'sure, dear, it's the same one...It's just closer!' I'll look into a smaller tx...most of my flying will be close in.

Can't go wrong with that list, but you're sure the wife okay-ed this? Before you know it you're sleeping on the couch
    Purveyor of the FPV secret sauce at ImmersionRC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast