Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SSD or Hybrid Hard Drive on my MBP

SSD or Hybrid Hard Drive on my MBP

Hi Guys!

I have a mid 2009 13" Macbook Pro. Purchased it new, and it's been a great computer for everything from day to day tasks, up to basic video editing. (Little slow for the HD stuff these days, but I can manage.)

A while back I upgraded my RAM from 4gb to 8gb, and I was looking at upgrading to a SSD. I wanted at least as much space as my original. (250GB 5400rpm is what came in it) Well I put it off, because of the pretty high SSD price tag, and now I really need to upgrade my drive because I'm running out of space. I've already had to delete a bunch of stuff to help clean it up and prolong my HD buying.

So now I'm trying to decide whether to buy a SSD or a Hybrid Drive. I need 250gb+, which means I have to either buy a 480gb SSD, at around $330 or I can buy a 750GB SSD for around $110.

Because of the age of my computer, and my need for space, I'm leaning towards the Hybrid drive, since it's 3x the capacity and 1/3 the price of the SSD.

What do you guys think? I know SSD's are great, and it would probably give my computer a decent boost in speed, but I'm having a hard time getting over the huge difference in price!

I replaced the DVD drive from my macbook with a bay for a second hdd. This way I have a ssd and a normal hd at the same time and this setup works great! OS X and the applications are installed on the SSD and the data is stored on the normal disk.

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Installi...d+Drive/8522/1

Navigator
    if you dont need the mad speed of the SSD the hybrids are much cheaper. What do you use the laptop for?
    Impulse Alien, TBS Disco, Tek Sumo, S800, VAS Wraith, Skysurfer

Get that SSD. It's like having a brand new computer, good for 3-4 more years and it will let you forget about the price you paid

...And get an external USB- HD for christmas.

Instructor Pilot
    SSD is great, can't recommend it enough. As ssb2005 mentioned the hybrids aren't a bad idea. But I really what schugabe posted, replacing the optical drive with a second bay. In my experience with a half-dozen SSD drives over the years, they can be finicky at times. Hans has great advice - get an external HD for backup if the SSD will be your only internal drive!!!

Quote Originally Posted by schugabe View Post
    I replaced the DVD drive from my macbook with a bay for a second hdd. This way I have a ssd and a normal hd at the same time and this setup works great! OS X and the applications are installed on the SSD and the data is stored on the normal disk.

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Installi...d+Drive/8522/1
    Yea, I looked at doing that in the past... I guess I could get an external enclosure for the superdrive, and keep it that way... Ugh, decisions decisions...

Quote Originally Posted by ssb2005 View Post
    if you dont need the mad speed of the SSD the hybrids are much cheaper. What do you use the laptop for?
    This is kinda what I'm thinking... I know SSD drives are supposed to be great, but from what I've seen, Hybrid Drives are 90% as fast in day to day use, for less than 1/3 the price.

I currently use it for day to day computing, web browsing, video watchin', with the occational Photoshop, Video Editing, and 3D modelling thrown in from time to time.

Quote Originally Posted by Hans View Post
    Get that SSD. It's like having a brand new computer, good for 3-4 more years and it will let you forget about the price you paid

...And get an external USB- HD for christmas.
    Quote Originally Posted by viper522 View Post
    SSD is great, can't recommend it enough. As ssb2005 mentioned the hybrids aren't a bad idea. But I really what schugabe posted, replacing the optical drive with a second bay. In my experience with a half-dozen SSD drives over the years, they can be finicky at times. Hans has great advice - get an external HD for backup if the SSD will be your only internal drive!!!
    I've already got a 2TB USB External Drive... I use it primarily for backups, and throwing huge files like HD video and stuff onto it. It stays connected to my iMac at my house, and is available on my wireless network, but transferring to it wirelessly is SLOOOWWW, and it's not practical to keep it connected to my laptop constantly. Nor is it practical to take it with me when I take my laptop places.

How about this:

A 480gb SSD is $330. A 750GB Hybrid drive is about $150.

A regular 750gb 7200rpm drive is $90, and a 120GB SSD is $100.

So for $190 + the price of the optical drive conversion kit, I could upgrade to the smaller SSD, and run OSX with all the system files, apps, etc on that, and then have the regular 750GB Hard Drive take the place of my optical drive for video files, photo's etc.

Does that make ANY sense at all or am I totally crazy??

Navigator
    Go SSD and never look back. You will not want to use another comp with a mechanical drive (for OS, apps) after that. Use a thunderbolt/usb external mechanical drive for storage. SSDs also take a fraction of the power and are completely silent/have no moving parts, which is beneficial on mobile stuff.

If you really need a bunch of space on tap at all times do what someone else suggested and get the drive cage kit for the optical bay and have an ssd for os,apps, working files and mechanical drive for storage. I have used a bunch of Kingston HyperX, Samsung 840 pro's, OCZ vertex 3's, Intel 520's and GSKill Phoenix Pros and have had good experience with all of them except the GSkills. I have had quite a few of those go out, sometimes within 24hours! Everything else has been rock solid, even the vertex's (I have read quite a few horror stories on those). Also dont go for a cheap ssd you will pay for it in speed and more importantly, reliability.

One thing to keep in mind, unlike a mechanical drive where the majority of data can usually be recovered from a dying drive, if an SSD goes theres no warning and your shit out of luck usually. Which is why its that much more important to have full system backups when you are using ssd

Ahhh screw it! You guys have convinced me... I'm buying a 500gb SSD.

Which one should I go with?

Crucial M500: http://www.amazon.com/Crucial-2-5-In...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Or Samsung 840 Evo: http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Electr...pr_product_top

Those two seem to be extremely popular with the MBP's... But any other suggestions are welcome. I already use Crucial RAM, not that it really matters, but I've been satisfied with it.

What really has me convinced, is the fact that yes it's expensive, but if I do decide to buy a new Macbook Pro within the next year, I can just drop this drive into the new computer. My 2009 MBP is SATA I, so I'll only get a maximum of 1.5gb/s speeds with it, but like I said, I can use it in another laptop later if I so desire. But honestly I've had zero problems with this thing in 4 years, so I'm not really expecting to get rid of it anytime soon. I just bought a new battery for it tonight as well, to replace the ageing, integrated original. Between the new battery, and more efficient SSD, it should be a great combo!

Oh, and I'll also tack on an external USB enclosure so I can put my old HDD in it and use it if need be.
    Last edited by Mtrhd0024; 25th October 2013 at 10:45 PM.

I have been using a Samsung Evo SSD since it came out and it's the best thing I have ever done to my laptop. Really helps with video editing as well. I like the idea of removing the CD drive in the MBP. The software that the Samsung drive has for windows is very good.

Navigator
    I wouldnt go with the evo due to it not having on-board cache and having to use software/system ram to get best performance. The 840 pro has cache and no need for software/system ram. But I would go either samsung or kingston. Almost all have TRIM support now but always good to make sure the one your getting has that also.

EDIT: Piopi0 - didnt see your post before submitting the above, did not intend to sound like I was bashing in anyway. No doubt going either way is going to be a night and day difference over a reg drive.
    Last edited by deftronix; 25th October 2013 at 11:35 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast