FPVLAB

Page 3 of 113 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: R22 COCKPIT GROUND STATION BUILD

Requirements??.......There are no requirements at all. You just get to build whatever comes to mind........and if a VooDoo cockpit comes to mind then I say build it!!......LMAO!!
    Brett Hays
    JosephOregon.com
    flitetest.com/articles/fpv-full-scale-cockpit-ground-station-w-42-tv

Reliku.......there is always this option. Waaaaaaaay cheaper but it loses the cool factor......LMAO
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Piper-Archer...6f5406&vxp=mtr
    Brett Hays
    JosephOregon.com

I'll stick to plan A
    Cheers,
    Sven
    Quote Originally Posted by c5galaxy engineer View Post
    Zee is wrong, Grasshopper is ALWAYS right!

Navigator

R22 COCKPIT GROUND STATION BUILD

Looking good Mick, any photos of the R22 remnants yet? I saw that first video you posted before but didn't know it was you, I liked the setup too and will probably build something similar. Good luck!

Navigator

R22 COCKPIT GROUND STATION BUILD

What's the consensus about hooking up a joystick to a radio? I like your innovative solution Mick!! I was really very impressed, it's not very high tech but seems to work nicely!
    I've read about people wiring up the joystick pots in parallel to the gimbals and also making a controller to plug into the radio trainer port. I'd really like to be able to plug in a joystick and not destroy my only radio.
    I had trouble finding a seperate joystick/throttle for under $200 but how's this?
    http://bit.ly/HhmozL

Matty.....I did hook a joystick up to the CGS radio (basically) BUT, you will need to change out the pots in the joystick with the same values as the ones in the radio. You cant hook them in parallel because it will change the total value of the pots. However you could put a servo connector in line and unplug one and plug in the other. The value of the pots in the radio is probably 5K and you can easily find the replacement 5K pots for the joystick (the stock ones are probably 100K) on ebay that have the same dimensions and will be a direct replacement. The pots are wired just like a servo with the signal wire going to the middle terminal of the pot and the positive and negative to the two other terminals. Depending on witch side you hook the positive and negative decides witch way the servo travels with the control throw (a' la servo reverse). When you want to use the radio just open it up and unplug the joystick and plug in the tx gimbals. I would suggest that you just buy a radio and permanently modify it........TX's are cheap enough it would wayyyy be worth it in the long run. Turnigy TX's are a great candidate. Look around ebay for used joysticks.....my joystick and throttle cost me 20 dollars plus shipping.......the rudder peddles I picked up for 50 bucks but you could easily build your own like Mick did.
    Brett Hays
    JosephOregon.com

Hi Matty I always try to work with the K.I.S.S. thoery Keep It Simple Serviceman ( or stupid as i say ). Find a cheap radio ( mode 2) you can buddy box with your main radio and use the potentiometers out of it for the throttle and rudder and use the gimbal assy with an extension like i have. That way your craft remains set up on your main controller and you just make a clip for your trainer switch for when your flying, and it also makes it easy for when your mate is dying to have a go but won't ask you, You can put him in the drivers seat and have full confidence he wont crash your craft as you have master control. Trev who is a chopper pilot and R22 44 Guru and i do this and it's wicked fun. I can honestly say i have trained a heli pilot and i don't let him forget it either....LOL. He is the one that organised the 22 cab for me. Do you have a simulator program you can fly cockpit view with? A must if you don't fly real ones. I couldn't have done it without one as i would have crashed a 100 thousand dollars worth of choppers learning and doing stupid stuff to make myself get out of bad situations, This helped me prepare for my first flight, and yes it went great.

Edit C5 got in first but i'm not changing it now.

EDIT TAKE 2 CANT MAKE BARREL RACING VID TODAY AS IT'S TOO WINDY ( AND MY THINGS ARN'T BIG ENOUGH TO HAVE A GO )
    Last edited by MICK B.; 25th October 2013 at 09:13 PM.

For the record I would like to state that I learned to fly a quad without a simulator and probably could fly a heli as well.........so there!
    LOL
    Brett Hays
    JosephOregon.com

That may be true, But other than a push bike that was the first time my feet had been on pedals and there was some reprogramming that had to be done. lol

Good luck with this! Im sure it will be great once its finished!

Page 3 of 113 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast