FPVLAB

Page 111 of 113 FirstFirst ... 1161101109110111112113 LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,110 of 1128

Thread: R22 COCKPIT GROUND STATION BUILD

I don't think it would hurt to bad for someone to take it for a spin. I flew RC helicopters for years before I ever started training in a real one and I think it helped a ton with figuring things out and how things work. I think with using a sim vs the real thing there's enough subtle difference that your brain won't develop bad habits based off of flying the sim vs the real thing.

The helicopter sim that I use doesn't even fly close to the same as the real thing so you have to fly it deferentially but if you go from sim flying to the real thing it doesn't screw you up. If anything your a little better because now your body can feel the movements too. your now flying not based off of just what you see but also what you feel
    Dan

youtube = Danr657

I don't think it would hurt to bad for someone to take it for a spin. I flew RC helicopters for years before I ever started training in a real one and I think it helped a ton with figuring things out and how things work. I think with using a sim vs the real thing there's enough subtle difference that your brain won't develop bad habits based off of flying the sim vs the real thing.

The helicopter sim that I use doesn't even fly close to the same as the real thing so you have to fly it deferentially but if you go from sim flying to the real thing it doesn't screw you up. If anything your a little better because now your body can feel the movements too. your now flying not based off of just what you see but also what you feel
    Dan

youtube = Danr657

I agree but procedure is where the bad habits are really picked up. I have many hours in a simulator and we treated it like the real thing no matter what. It was such a realistic experience that it would be easy to develop bad procedure like checklist discipline or even simple as crew coordination and communication. Granted the sim I was in was HUGE and built for high level proficiency but it was drilled into us to not deviate from procedure. Even when we were playing around we were encouraged to stick to procedure. As far as stick and rudder stuff (or stick and anti torque as it is) that is pretty universal like you said Dan.

Mick.....Do you plan on using a sim program or a real RC model? I think a program would be much more effective as you could put a R-22 at the guys finger tips or a jet ranger. Much more realistic IMHO.
    Brett Hays
    JosephOregon.com
    flitetest.com/articles/fpv-full-scale-cockpit-ground-station-w-42-tv

Quote Originally Posted by c5galaxy engineer View Post
    I agree but procedure is where the bad habits are really picked up.....Do you plan on using a sim program or a real RC model? I think a program would be much more effective as you could put a R-22 at the guys finger tips or a jet ranger. Much more realistic IMHO.
    I used to run flight ops at a busy Part 141 flight school that used an off-the-shelf flight sim as what they called a "procedures trainer" and it had a definite value to the students. It wasn't (at the time) log-able time, but it was dirt cheap compared to dual wet and instilled good habits from the start.
    Shut up and fly.

C5 I agree that could cause problems most entry level level helicopters are pretty simple as far as procedures go since there's not a whole lot of systems I don't even use the sim for that because of its poor level of matching the helicopter as far as how it responds to failures. For example if I fail the engine on the sim it's almost impossible for a student to enter an auto before the blades stop which is not the case in real life. Also if they do by some miracle enter the auto when they get to the ground and start setting up to set down the helicopter floats on for a very long time which is not the case in the real thing. So ya if you did a bunch of those and got in the real thing under the pressure of an actual engine failure it could mess you up.

I'll assume it was a military sim you flew on. Those things are awesome and super accurate to the real thing I was a flight enginer on chinooks in the Army for 7 years got to play on the UH-60 and chinook sim a few times those things you actually can feel panic in if you crash there so real. I remember trying to fly a external load like a Humvee or something and if you got the load swinging under the helicopter the sim would and in the motion of that weight shifting under you.

The one I train students on in the civilian world I like to think its modeled after a r22 jet ranger s300 so procedures as far as checklist usage goes can be hard to train for one specific helicopter and things army all in the same locations as they are on the real thing. Mainly it is used for instrument training and developing a scan which it's harder to fly instruments in the sim then the real thing.

PDX Dave. Was that part 141 school located around PDX. I worked at a very busy 141 airplane and helicopter flight school with two locations near Portland a few years back as a aircraft mechanic. Just wondering if our paths may have crossed

Sorry getting off topic a little here
    Dan

youtube = Danr657

Quote Originally Posted by Danr_657 View Post
    PDX Dave. Was that part 141 school located around PDX. I worked at a very busy 141 airplane and helicopter flight school with two locations near Portland a few years back as a aircraft mechanic. Just wondering if our paths may have crossed
    Yep -- Hillsboro Helicopters, then Hillsoboro Aviation, now it think it's something else. I flew there '89-'92, then came back to manage school flight ops '97-'98. Was that where you were?
    Shut up and fly.

Ya a bit after you, 2009. At the Hillsboro location I think there like Hillsboro aero academy now they also have a location in prinville now too. I did all my pilot training at Jerry Trimbles(which is the guy that started Hillsboro helicopters) in McMinnville and Leading Edge in Bend
    Dan

youtube = Danr657

Oh yeah -- Jerry's a character. He owned the place when I started there and sold it just before I left the first time. Small world!
    Shut up and fly.

LOL.....Yup, C-5 sim. Loved that damn thing. It was real enough to give me bad dreams if we did end up crashing. It was rare but it did happen and that thing got you so immersed that it got scary.....for real scary. I would react like I was on the plane initially but would quickly realize it was just a sim ride. It was enough to instill perfect training though. AMAZING! I have always been fascinated by sim experience. That's why I finally built my cockpit. I had to make RC flying more of a simulation. It is why, like Mick, making my cockpit more like a cockpit and less like a radio hooked to a joystick. Even the radio menu is navigated by a hat switch on the throttle handle.
    Brett Hays
    JosephOregon.com
    flitetest.com/articles/fpv-full-scale-cockpit-ground-station-w-42-tv

Hi All Short video of the local rc track being built. 3dr Iris

Enjoy.

Page 111 of 113 FirstFirst ... 1161101109110111112113 LastLast