Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: FLite Test FAMOUSNESS

The goggles do nothing! chicken sashimi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dust View Post
    I personally am against the arming of RC stuff even it was a "toy" gun.
    I voiced my disapproval about that on the youtube video page, and i got slaughterd!

apperently saying "putting a gun on a RC plane isnt going to bring any good, people are stupid and wont approach this with the same mind set as you do" was enough to be crucified and have my posts hidden due to too many negitive votes.
    Monkey see monkey do was just too much for youtube.
    Ya gotta see the funny in it though Dust.. seriously.. FPV gets persecuted by people every day. The have the same "You're gonna kill someone.. you're gonna encourage someone to do something stupid/dangerous" mentality that you've been exhibiting in regards to guns-on-a-plane. If you stand by FPV free flight and you believe that your fellow FPV pilots can police themselves and act responsibly, why can't you do the same with regards to guns-on-a-plane. Honestly.. WHAT is so different between this and FPV?

I thought it was a really cool episode and great to see some CS love! Dude you got a lot of name mentions thanks to the difficulty in pronouncing it. I'd stick with it

I honestly did think it was not kosher to put any kind of projectile mechanism on a vehicle so I was surprised but happy to get to watch it. I understand the harmlessness of their setup but uptights aren't known for recognizing the spirit of a law. Then again, I was confused with the rules concerning covering KC lights on a truck's rollbar vs a brushguard back in the day.

Quote Originally Posted by chicken sashimi View Post
    Ya gotta see the funny in it though Dust.. seriously.. FPV gets persecuted by people every day. The have the same "You're gonna kill someone.. you're gonna encourage someone to do something stupid/dangerous" mentality that you've been exhibiting in regards to guns-on-a-plane. If you stand by FPV free flight and you believe that your fellow FPV pilots can police themselves and act responsibly, why can't you do the same with regards to guns-on-a-plane. Honestly.. WHAT is so different between this and FPV?
    Simple answer, the difference is projectiles.

Not-so-simple answer:
    Yes i know its a toy. Im not worried about the exact type of gun, what exact type of ammo, and what ever (which is about the only defense ive heard, is the argument of they type of weapon used), its the idea. Ideas are harmless. Ideas cannot hurt people. Stupid people making stupid decisions hurt people.
    Like fake candy cigarettes. There is no good that comes from it. Even though "its JUST candy"people are grossly influenced by others and usually have NO clue just how mych they do stuff cause "they saw someone else do it"
    Read the comments there. Look at the guys (joking or not) talking about putting .22's or other NOT toys.
    I dont get why Im so in the wrong here.

Im 30 years old. Ive been living on the road for many MANY years making laps and laps around the USA. I have experienced 2 lifetimes in the first quarter of this one. I dont watch TV, havent had cable since 2001 and have and read more books than most would believe.
    My fears on this paticular subject are not unfounded.
    Im not crying chiken little here.

Im saying that the idea of ARMING RC things is reckless and irresponsible and 100% damages what were are desperately trying to protect here!

you want this whole thing to get shut down? Of course not (rhetorical question), but idiots will see this, and emulate it with what ever they got laying around...

Video piloting and weaponizing toys are 2 very different things, hardly comparable.
    Live Slow - Fly FAST!

FPV does NOT fly ASAP.

Ummm.. I hate to break it to you.. but the Radian you fly FPV beyond line of sight is technically a projectile in itself.
    Everything we fly is a projectile.. lol.

No one is calling your character into question, so there's little need to tell us how traveled and intellectual you are or whether or not you watch TV.. I don't see those statements re-enforcing any of your arguments.

Everything you say about idiots emulating what they see can be said just as much regarding deep-urban flights like Trappy does or long-range attempts where failure could mean crashing into someone's house/car.

I guess what's so baffling to me is to see someone like yourself who proudly flies FPV, a hobby that gets persecuted for it's inherent danger (a danger which an EXPERIENCED FPV pilot knows how to manage and mitigate) then turn around and persecute someone who puts a toy gun on an aircraft of their own. Do you not trust that someone who puts an airsoft gun on an RC airplane can mitigate hazards just as much as you mitigate the hazards associated with your hobby? Why is one more at fault than another?

When people tell you FPV is unsafe and should not be glamorized and that FPV will ruin the hobby for everyone, how do you respond? I'm honestly curious about this because I expect that your response will probably echo much of what I've said about guns-on-a-plane.

Great discussion though. fun topic
    Last edited by chicken sashimi; 16th October 2013 at 06:00 PM.

No persecution, Just think that its just not a good idea. That all.

i know it all about how something is used. a hammer can build a house, or break one down. a pencil or fork can be lethal.

and as i wrote on thie comment page, this was the first time i have ever got that feeling in my mind that has been slung my way so many times. The "your gonna ruin it" Its not a mentality, its a thought that surprizingly ran throug my head as i watched these highly influential RC figures show that. I know David used hydrogen ballons and roman candles on rc tanks and tri's.

Im not hating, i love FT. and of course i love RC, and even YOU Mr Sashimi.

And when people say stuff like that to me about FPV, i never take it seriously, it actually makes me smile, cause all pioneers are considered crazy and reckless at some time. I tell them that fear is a natural and initial response we have when we encounter something we dont understand. And face it, there alot of scary looking stuff going on with FPV. However, That can be remedied by learning whats going on, aasking questions, and finding out for ones self to get to that "ah-ha" moment when it makes sense to them and it clicks and the fear is dispelled.

thats what this is all about, if i had to guess, not freedoms, not laws, but fear.

I have alot of faith in the FPV community and most all here.
    I have much much less when taking into account the audience of youtube.

Ive never been a gun fan, though im proficient in most aspects of them. Raised with them, and spent countless hours at the range growing up. But it never stuck into my adult life where I developed different ideas about guns,hunting,etc. So thats prolly why im quick to shut down a convo that tries to start at my work (LHS) talking about putting any type of weapon on a plane. They may be joking, but i have a hard time entertaining the idea and quickly divert the topic to something else.

Funny aslso, cause i posted this the second i saw your shirts on them, before i saw what the episode was even about. LOL

agreed, good discussion, but i am surprized by the lack of others who may share similar sentiment.
    Live Slow - Fly FAST!

FPV does NOT fly ASAP.

That is really where it falls, give the human race credit that it's smarter then that. It's a lot akin to saying video games make people violent, even though there is no proof or evidence to support such claims. Sticking a toy gun on a plane is pretty similar in idea really. Yeah you are going to get morons that talk, and a lot of people talk, very few people do the many things they talk about, and those that do quickly feel the consequences of their stupid actions. I think most people will look at this subject in that way, in that everything involved is pretty harmless.

If your view is because you really disdain guns and their existence and anything that portrays them then you would have to take a seat back and realize it's a personal view that a lot do not share, especially when the subject is a toy actually made for children to begin with, because most are not going to see it in that fashion, the are just going to see it as a harmless toy, not an endorsement of death.

How many people really love warbirds? They are airplanes made solely for the purpose of war, yet they are some of the most favored RC models, yet no one complains about how the love of a war machine propagates war, just as much as very few are going to say a toy gun is going to propagate real mishandling of a gun.

I hope I made my point as clear as possible .

That's some well rounded comments MatCat.. I wholeheartedly agree!

Quote Originally Posted by Dust View Post
    I tell them that fear is a natural and initial response we have when we encounter something we don't understand. And face it, there alot of scary looking stuff going on with FPV. However, That can be remedied by learning whats going on, aasking questions, and finding out for ones self to get to that "ah-ha" moment when it makes sense to them and it clicks and the fear is dispelled.
    So there you have it.

If your reaction is fear that people are going to put actual guns on RC aircraft.. you can educate yourself... it won't take you long on youtube before you have your own "aha moment" and realize people have already been doing this for a LONG time, long before FliteTest came along. Then you'll continue your research and see that although the AMA has had anti-weaponization regulations in place for a LONG time now already, very few instances of crime or injury have happened as a result of this kind of behavior because it's not really a common practice... besides the fact that most people already know perfectly well that if they wanted to strap a gun to an rc airplane, they could easily enough. It's certainly nothing new.. and it's certainly not a popular practice so I think the fear is misplaced.

If the act of people strapping guns to rc aircraft was going to "ruin the hobby for everyone", the hobby would already be ruined and we'd all be twiddling our thumbs instead of soaring magestically through the current RC Aviation renaissance.
    Last edited by chicken sashimi; 16th October 2013 at 06:35 PM.

Certified Fpvlab Troll powdermnky007's Avatar
    yattitfdr

'yet another thread turned in to fpv danger rant'
    still easier to say than sashimi
    new name 'horse head sushi' ?

SEE ess EFF PEE veee!!