FPVLAB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Customized ER9X (Turnigy 9X) with an extra stick for camera pan/tilt

Forum Member

Customized ER9X (Turnigy 9X) with an extra stick for camera pan/tilt

My most recent DIY project has been to customize my Turnigy 9X radio which has been collecting dust for a couple of years. Some weeks ago I started reading about the ER9X firmware for the Turnigy 9X (also knows as FlySky/iMax/Eurgle) and I started thinking about flashing my radio as well.

The idea was first to build in a FrSky DIY module and have this radio specifically for my RVOSD models that I often run with just FrSky. With ER9X transformed radio from being a cheap china radio disposed firmware to be a very capable 16-channel radio with programming options that are only found on much more expensive units.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	111102@122638 DSC06355.jpg 
Views:	912 
Size:	87.4 KB 
ID:	4000 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	111102@122710 DSC06358.jpg 
Views:	2389 
Size:	89.2 KB 
ID:	4001

Extra joystick to control P/T
    Around this time my son got excited about a small RC helicopter and in his excitement stepped on it and in that moment made some unrepairable mods to the poor heli. This brought my eyes to the controller which had a very interesting control stick which was only self-centering horizontally, like a throttle stick. This ought to be excellent for controlling the P/T I thought and began the slaughter of the poor little toy control.

The installation was quite easy for me even though I'm not really a electronically gifted person. In short I'm using the two pots in the extra joystick instead of the top pots on the radio. To trim camera pan I still use the top left pot which is connected in series with one of the joystick pots. What makes this extra easy is that the ER9X firmware has a calibration feature for the pots so you don't have to use pots with the same value as the original ones. The ones that I use goes from 0-5kΩ. The stick enclosure is of course made in Kydex.

Name:	111026@125450 DSC06286.jpg 
Views:	1281 
Size:	88.8 KB 
ID:	4002 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	111102@122348 DSC06353.jpg 
Views:	3555 
Size:	94.1 KB 
ID:	4005

Shielding against RFI
    Early attempts with Turnigy 9X and TSLRS transmitters showed that the radio was quite sensitive to RFI. Now I've tried to reduce this. The shielding is aluminum tape whcih is connected to ground. The hole for the extra lever will also be covered with aluminum tape, but I want to brush on an extra layer of Plasti-Dip.

Name:	111102@121744 DSC06343.jpg 
Views:	1955 
Size:	99.4 KB 
ID:	4008

Backlighting for LCD and programming cable
    The original screen has been supplemented with backlight, this particular kit can be purchased at hobbyking and I believe even that it is available in several colors but I chose green. The backlight is controlled (on/off) using an extra two-way switch that I have added to the radio. The programming cable is a requisite in order to update the firmware and it took a little research before I started to solder, but if I can do it I guess anyone can. For this kind of modification that I did you must also buy a separate AVR programmer. Upgrading is made easy with the help eePe which is a software specially designed for programming ER9X and you can easily create and modify models, etc.

In retrospect if I had known better I would have bought this kit sold on smartieparts which is a combined backlight and programmer and installs with no soldering needed: http://www.smartieparts.com/shop/ind...roducts_id=331

Name:	111102@143822 DSC06361.jpg 
Views:	1264 
Size:	91.4 KB 
ID:	4009

FrSky and TSLRS
    My intention is to use the radio for FrSky but also for TSLRS. This I solved by installing an FrSky DIY kit. It is mounted in the modular bay on the back together with a Turnigy UBEC which will be able to power a 1W 2.4Ghz amplifier. For TSLRS I'm going to mount a suitable connector. Right now I'm using MPX-connectors for TSLRS and it's not optimal. In addition to this I will install a power connector for the amplifier, probably just a simple DC power socket. Switching between FrSky and TSLRS is made with an extra 2-way switch.
    Last edited by boopidoo; 2nd November 2011 at 11:36 AM.

Forum Member
    Very well done mod; you make it look simple

Forum Member
    Thanks! It was very easy really.

Forum Member
    That's pretty slick. I really like the extra stick for pan/tilt; right now I just use a bunch of mixing to switch the left stick behavior.

Forum Member
    Here's an eePe-file with settings for a Skywalker (or similar) equipped with a RVOSD.

CH1 - Aileron
    CH2 - Elevator
    CH3 - Throttle (the !RUD-switch activates RTH)
    CH4 - Rudder
    CH5 - Camera pan (extra stick, P1 is used for trim)
    CH6 - Camera tilt (extra stick)
    CH7 - RVOSD Aux (ID0/1/2-switch)
    Attached Files Attached Files

I did the extra stick input too, very easy to do with the updated software

"If everyone is thinking alike, then no one is thinking."

- Benjamin Franklin

Forum Member
    Yeah, you gave me the initial idea, thanks btw!

Same with UHF-switch. I'm looking for a suitable UHF-connector. Which was the one you're using?

Please share your models if you want to?

Forum Member
    Any reason you chose to not go through the trainer port with a ppm mixer vs hacking a channel on the radio?
    vimeo.com/user7363437/videos

Forum Member
    IMO much easier this way + I don't have a PPM mixer. I didn't really hack any channels, I just re-routed two pots. Calibration of the pots etc is a feature in the ER9X so its already prepared for these kinds of modifications.

Forum Member
    I was planning on getting the 9x so that it would be easier to do stuff like this. However, after watching somebody accomplish headtracking with the ppm mixer on a hitec optic 6 (which is what I have), I would like to find a way to use an external stick through the trainer port with a ppm mixer. Do you know how to wire the pots of the external stick to the ppm mixer to do this?
    vimeo.com/user7363437/videos

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast