ReadyMadeRC!

Page 2 of 33 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Suggested Products

Strange, i thought plexiglass was a polycarbonite. After all , Lexan and Plexiglass are really just brand names..

Anyways, teh person who figures this out will have a lot of interest on their hands. Keith (parkflyerplastics) certainly would be the man to do it, if he could be convinced that there was a good market for it.

I would do it myself, but I would be starting from ground zero with no real plastics knowledge.

I did however buy some stuff to begin building my own vacuum table a week or so ago. I have other projects I want it for, but I would love to try a FPV canopy. I have some 1/8 Rhino Glass (polycarb) I ould try but it is a little heft. Maybe the 1st trick is a PERFECTLY tooled mould would be necessary.... Hmm, now you got me wondering.

I wonder if acetate-type plastics would work?

Yeah - Keith explained a great deal to me about it via email. Here are some excerpts from out lengthy conversation after pitching the idea to him:

"The main problem would be optics. I think the nose of Easy Star could be changed to fit a camera better but there is the problem of what is called "markoff". When the plastic touches the tooling it cools unevenly causing distortions in the plastic. More so in thermo plastics. The only way to beat it is to form the plastic without touching it. It can be done but it has to be blown like a bubble. This involves making the plastic soft then clamping it in a collared tool , reheating it ( evenly) then filling it with hot compressed air to the desired size. BTW, real Plexiglas is the only way to go for good optics. I do not have the equipment to "blow windows". Wish I could help, you might be the 25th person that has asked about the same subject. I just can't produce the quality that I would feel comfortable allowing out of the shop."

I guess my question is have you tried shooting a video through the belly pan I produce or the canopy yet? Because this is the kind of optics you can expect."
    "I Like Waffles" : FPVLab on Facebook and FPVLab on Twitter

Ita funny, though, I dont know hay parkzone makes their canopies (I would assume vac form) but I put a static cam in the canopy of my T28 long ago and it actually worked ok, no probs with distortion. It did have glare and reflections at times, but that is unavoidable I believe. And they werent a bother anyways.

My point is that if the tooling is minor enough, most fpv cams may not be able to see it. Distortions are different, but it you can make the canopy out of flat surfaces that with seams, it might bet better view, but with seams (which are realistic anyways)

Anyways, if we want to keep this up, maybe we need a new thread out of Tim' s forum here?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	canopy.jpg 
Views:	840 
Size:	13.8 KB 
ID:	181  
    Last edited by Derek_S; 6th March 2011 at 04:26 PM.

Navigator
    I'll talk with a local plastics company about this. I was going to chat with them about making some other products anyway. One issue some people may have would be that they want their cameras a little higher, so the canopy would need to be a really big bubble. A low canopy limits the amount of space for the camera. I've though it would be nice to have something like this before, though.

All this talk about canopys for FPV models is great!

I have been hoping someone would do something like this for different "popular" fpv planes. TSII, EZ*, etc...

I thought about trying to make my own canopy, but I have zero experience working with plastics, moulding etc...

I only hope that if someone starts producing canopies, they will keep in mind we need a "bubble" to accomodate the FPV cam.

I know about the glare/distortion/reflections issues with having the camera inside a canopy.....
    ...but VRFlyer has flown several models with a cam inside, and even with the glare/distortion/reflections issues you can still see well enough to pilot.

Of course this is not for those that want pristine video....

I like the semi "realistic" view/feeling of piloting from a "cockpit"... that and the aero drag reduction of having the cam inside.

I am really, really hoping someone starts making canopies.... and maybe able to take "custom orders" for non-conventional/not-so-popular planes.

EDIT; I see the concept of having a bubble has already been mentioned.... Super!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CANOPY.jpg 
Views:	233 
Size:	44.6 KB 
ID:	184  
    Last edited by galaxiex; 6th March 2011 at 03:12 PM.
    In Russia you don't fly plane.... Plane flys you

Your second pic looks right on. Maybe Tim can get the ball rolling.

Quote Originally Posted by SENTRY View Post
    ^^ I spoke to parkflyerplastics about this. I mentioned Lexan (bc i have Lexan windows in one of the racecars). They said to stay away from Lexan and any other polycarb bc it's hard to form and maintain optics (I assue you'd like to stuff the camera INSIDE of the canopy). They said that plexiglass is the best option... it can be made to look like a window, and can be polished out if scratched.

If you don't plan to view anything through it, then you can use whatever you want really.
    Huh. I was under the impression that it was the other way around, and that Lexan was superior for optics. Well, I guess the plastics guys would know, wouldn't they?

Well, the question remains: FPV windscreens?

Fly first, crash later... KeyserSoze40's Avatar

RMRC-540 OSD Camera / 540-Line CCD (NTSC)

Any flight videos using this cam or a side by side with any of the other models? Wondering if it's worth the extra money. "Simply the Best FPV cam available" is a bold statement.

I would also like to suggest selling spare wiring harnesses for the Foxtech and Immersion Vtx's. I see you have the 5 pin one, but also the 2 pin power one would be nice, even as just a pigtail with no JST connector. And I think the 2 are compatible, just wired differently, so you might be able to sell them in both categories.

Some decent gyros would be nice. Some of the videos I see can benefit from even a low-budget gyro on the roll axis. The FY products are great mid-range (cost) solution - but for quick toss-up rigs or people on a budget a simple gyro or 2 they could tune to get "comparable" stabilization w/out the expense.
    Last edited by FPVLAB; 11th March 2011 at 08:25 PM.
    "I Like Waffles" : FPVLab on Facebook and FPVLab on Twitter