Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The inexperienced pilot thread

Forum Member

The inexperienced pilot thread

Lately there's been a couple of inexperienced people go out with DJI phantoms or other rotorcraft WITH a profound lack of experience and they crashed into things.

So this thread will be a complaint thread, and if you *are* an inexperienced pilot come in in here and read what you should *NOT* do.

First, don't fly 2.4 ghz in the city on a DJI Phantom from a balcony. Dumb, plain old stupid.
    Don't fly a DJI Phantom and claim ot be a "Professional" photographer and then get it stuck on an iconic landmark statue (In the armpit no less).

Todays crash was a guy in Australia that hit the bridge, but they actually had a rule about 30' for aircraft and they have the aircraft so if someone wants it back they will be getting some fines...

Trappy has done some VERY cool things that have benefitted FPV and the hobby.
    I think inexperienced pilots should not necessarily try to mimick him, which is difficult enough -

So this is *NOT* a bash thread to inexperienced pilots, rather, a place to show what experienced pilots would or would not do.

I had the chance to film an Aircraft Carrier. I chose wisely and did not do this, and thankfully because the 1000 watts of 433 mhz blasting off of it would have been u g ly. There are laws in place about distance so it's not like I can scream my zephyr over the flight deck (I am working on getting a captains permission though!)...

I don't fly near military bases, especially one local ot me as they have a 1.3, 2.4, and a 5.8 jammer going out, you get within a mile of that and your video goes bye-bye (My buddy lives within half a mile and absolutely cannot get video until he's out of the area).....

So ust post what you have avoided, based on experience.
    Last edited by Scotttu; 6th October 2013 at 12:36 AM.
    "Truly superior pilots are those who use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills"- Author unknown

KF7TRX

Forum Member
    Great thread Scott!

Hopefully people are taking note of where things go when things go wrong.

We hear lots of stories about guys crashing their drones into stuff but never hear about fines faced, other than Trappy's. And even that business, what a huge pain in the neck that has to be, even if he wins it. How about this guy in New York, are they going to nail him up? Will we hear about the outcome?

Hey, it's risk and reward, just like everything in this world. Mitigate risk with knowledge and good judgement.
    KF7TRU, [COLOR="blue"]youtube.com/user/wildwill1970/videos[/COLOR], Skywalker 1680mm, RMRC 400mW 1280mhz vTx, Dragonlink V1, MFD ATT, Crosshair GSA 1280mhz

Forum Member
    I don't claim to be 'experienced' in any way, but I'd like to add some words of wisdom regardless:

The obvious one: don't fly over people and definitely don't do so if you're not familiar with the bahaviour of your aircraft: Murphy's law states that it WILL go wrong and you will crash into someone.

Another obvious one: don't be a showoff. It's always cool to show people the amazing hobby we have, but don't do things that are dangerous or that you haven't done before. It takes but one mistake to gain a lot of negative publicity.

Check for errors while flying, and FIX THEM. Don't be like "oh that loose wire will probably be fine". The wire flew into my prop in my case

Ah well, there's a lot you can do wrong, but everyone makes mistakes. Just make sure that you don't screw up in public. It's OK to do risky things, such as flying over populated areas, but make sure you know what you're doing and that you've done the same thing ten times over without mistakes in an unpopulated area

Seems like an useful thread! I didn't know that one about jammers on military bases
    Cheers, :)
    Sven
    [QUOTE=c5galaxy engineer;522178]Zee is wrong, Grasshopper is ALWAYS right![/QUOTE]

Forum Member
    My .02, don't bring friends or family out to watch your FPV maiden. That will only lead to performance anxiety and undue pressure. Give your nerves the gift of time and patience and not feel you have to get it right and right now. At most, bring a spotter.

I brought friends to my LOS maiden and I got so anxious I forgot to bring my wing spar after carefully packing everything. Still didn't notice when I put it together in the field! LOL Flew it and kept saying "the wind must be crazy, look at the wings. It barely wants to turn!" LOL So lucky to have landed it. For some reason only when I disassembled the wings I instantly remembered there was an important piece missing. Live and learn, fortunately.

Forum Member
    The first thing you do is again, put down 2.4 control as if there is something special about it being worse than others.

I've questioned you before, and heard no response, and again I will ask;

What is it about 2.4 that makes it especially bad in the circumstance you mentioned?

Would it not serve the purpose of the thread more to say "do not fly ANY frequency for control or video, around buildings, until you understand the consequences" ?

DJI phantoms, and Blade 350s are sold to casual hobby town customers who came in to buy a train set. They have no idea what they are buying, only what cool things they saw it do on a youtube video on the web. Oh, and look at all the OTHER cool things people do on youtube with their quads AND airplanes. Is there ANY question why inexperienced people are doing what they are doing? It is because hobby town (used generically) chose to make a profit rather than encourage responsible participation in the hobby. And from some of the advice I've gotten from hobby town, that actually may be the better outcome.

No, what we don't need is another unseen thread. What we need is people willing to reach out and mentor novices, via your local AMA field for starters. And IF a pilot chooses to progress beyond AMA, that is all well and dandy. But starting novices out on long range FPV is just plain as stupid as selling GoPro toting toys with no training what so ever.

Forum Member
    I think dji should let manual be the only mode it can fly in for the first 20 hours. That would teach people how to fly and also to be scared of crashing and that crashes happen! People do dumb stuff and always will. I love watching "the worlds dumbest..." On tv. I don't think they'll ever have a shortage of episodes.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotttu View Post
    Todays crash was a guy in Australia that hit the bridge, but they actually had a rule about 30' for aircraft and they have the aircraft so if someone wants it back they will be getting some fines...
    Any aircraft?

KF7TRU, [COLOR="blue"]youtube.com/user/wildwill1970/videos[/COLOR], Skywalker 1680mm, RMRC 400mW 1280mhz vTx, Dragonlink V1, MFD ATT, Crosshair GSA 1280mhz

Inexperienced pilots you say?

There was a story a while back on the Lab about a guy crashing his plane into a cow..who was that? :P

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Carbon View Post
    Inexperienced pilots you say?

There was a story a while back on the Lab about a guy crashing his plane into a cow..who was that? :P
    Or that kid that had his plane stuck in a tree for a month?

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WildWill View Post
    Or that kid that had his plane stuck in a tree for a month?
    ^nice
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ROFLOL.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	3.0 KB 
ID:	33400  
    ~BG

[B]Fixed wing:[/B] Volantex Ranger 2.4j - Volantex Ranger 2k - Strix Strato Surfer - VAS Banshee - Sky Hunter Grey - Sky Hunter White - Skwalker 1900 - CTH Storm Chaser - CTH Albatross - Diamond 2500 - Super Sky Surfer - Phoenix 2000 - Fun Cub - Sonic 185 - Eflite ascent
    [B]Wings:[/B] PopWing - Multiplex Xeno
    [B]Multi-Copters:[/B] 400Q - Spanky - PE SS Mini H - GLB spider quad - ATG 750 - Tarot FY680 - V929 - Syma X5C

Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast