ReadyMadeRC!

Thread: Goggles

Banned

Goggles

I'm relatively new to RC, I've been flying and building multirotors for about six months. Recently I purchased the Advance FPV Starter Package 1.3GHz and I'm using a 8" LCD monitor, trouble is I cheat, I keep looking up from the monitor to look at the quad.

I want to try goggles but don't know what to get. Any advice would be appreciated.

Also is there a cheap and easy way to record the video from the FPV system? It would probably be a great learning tool.

Thanks

Navigator
    I have the AIO Googles, read up on them, cost $440 I found it to be better than fatsharks dominator when it comes to screen size and comfort. Picture quality is really great and i can easily adjust brightness/contrast with the dedicated buttons. Built in 2.4 and 5.8 and head tracker. will not work with airwaves modules, so do some research.

Cheapest and reliable recoder seems to be the FPV-Japan at $200.

good luck

Laurel, MD between Washington D.C. / Baltimore
    What's the scoop on the Headplay goggles? They have higher resolution than most other goggles (according to their specs) and have adjustable ocular distances and various diopter replacement lenses included. Anybody have thoughts on these as opposed to other goggles?
    Airplanes LIKE to fly : Helicopters WANT to kill you.

Navigator
    Quote Originally Posted by GLEvideo View Post
    What's the scoop on the Headplay goggles? They have higher resolution than most other goggles (according to their specs) and have adjustable ocular distances and various diopter replacement lenses included. Anybody have thoughts on these as opposed to other goggles?
    I have the headplays and recently bought the FatShark dominators. Forget about headplays. The connection to the liberator is too unreliable using them with my Xbox, never mind FPV. the look and feel of headplays are nice and you can do mods to overcome the issues with the connections to the liberator box. Look at RangeVideo for instance. But I think foxtech or fatshark ate much more convenient for FPV. Personally I prefer FatShark Dominators.

Navigator
    Another thing with the Headplays, the IPD and diopter adjustment are NOT perfect. As for the higher resolution it's nice if you want to use them with a game console but is utterly useless for FPV. If you got a video signal at 480 or whatever it is, having a goggle with 800x600 resolution won't do you any good. It's like playing a VHS recording on a blueray player. Your image will still be low resolution. I could be wrong, and surely th more knowledgable people in here can weight in if I'm mistaken.

Regards

Navigator
    I had headplays, too much light gets in, too many wires needed, have to mod batteries with resistor for better runtime. Always need to select input using remote on start up. no head tracking option. looks the best but performs the least. I'm not sure when it comes to quality, but my AIO have the biggest screen of all and I can see so much more details over the headplay and even bigger than the dominator fatshark. Sometimes the HT center button does not work on my aio goggles, can get annoying, but I'm not using HT at the moment. 100% wireless with AIO.

I use Headplays and I'm very happy with them so far. I'm careful with the connector plug and haven't seen problems yet. RangeVideo is also bringing out a protector casing which keeps any strain off the plugs. I've only had problems with sunlight once, and solved it easily with a piece of cloth tucked in underneath the headband and hanging down loose on the front/sides.
    I power the Headplays directly from my groundstation battery which is a 12V sealed lead-acid battery. I only plug them in once everything else is switched on, to prevent a power surge. I will buy another set when I have cash, for "passengers" to ride along and as an investment.

I also use Headplays, and I can relate to the connector issue - It's very picky. It doesn't take much force on the cable at all for it to cause a picture loss. It's never happened to me in flight, yet, but the unreliable connector is precisely why I have a backup LCD monitor on my ground station - If the goggles go, I can take 'em off and use the monitor to fly close enough to land LOS.

As for comfort, it's hit or miss. I used to have problems with the goggles sliding out of place, and found the only real way to prevent that is to tighten the strap enough that it'll probably give you a headache after extended periods. They also let in way too much outside light, as has already been mentioned - My personal solution for that right now is I toss a black hoodie over my head after the goggles are on and tuck it into my shirt.

Resolution wise, I don't really have an opinion as I haven't used any other goggles to compare them to. The headplays do have a nice picture when you get the optics adjusted right, but the analogy of a VHS recording on a blu-ray is a good one. If your main video feed isn't 800x600 resolution, then you don't really need 800x600 resolution.

I am eyeing the Fatshark Dominators as well, and will delegate the headplays to a "passenger set" for anyone that wants a ride in the goggles while I fly.

Av8Chuck - I'm in the same boat, although I haven't tried m Gaui with FPV yet, with my planes I keep looking up away from the screen at the plane (which I initially thought would be a good thing, and still is, at times) and there is no way in hell I can keep my eyes glued to that screen while I land the plane. I was thinking of getting some fat sharks myself, just connected via cable, not worried about the head tracking stuff just yet.

I bought the Emprex DVR for ground recording, but have not rigged up a BEC for powering it from lipo yet, I had a spare laptop hard drive I put in it, so I have lots of capacity.

Anyway, I think that goggles are likely going to be my next fpv "must have" item..