Thread: Fixed corrupt file on RMRC FPV1000 DVR

Fixed corrupt file on RMRC FPV1000 DVR

So after flying last night, I did a stupid thing and knocked my dvr off the bench onto the ground. All it did was popped out the SD card while the dvr was still recording, but as anyone knows, thats a great way to corrupt the file. Trying to play it back instantly yielded a 'unsupported file' error.

All was not lost, though. I simply copied the corrupt file to my laptop and opened it up in VirtualDub. VDub instantly recognized the errors in the file, scanned it and wrote the missing file index. Problem solved... almost. The fix did not correct the keyframe index, so the file appears to only have one keyframe.. It plays back on the dvr, however if you try and fast forward/reverse, it blinks out on the unsupported file error.

To correct that, I just ran the file through vdub in full processing mode, reencoding it again with xvid. The only caveat is that it will no longer playback on the dvr, however it is perfectly fine on the laptop (and can be uploaded to youtube, etc).

tl;dr:
    Fixing a corrupt fpv1000 DVR video is quite simple and can be done with free software (VirtualDub and required codec).
    Far better is it to dare mighty things, even though checkered by failure; than to take rank with those who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.

I do t his a lot with my FPV-Japan, I use NCH Software Video Pad Editor - works like a champ.

EDIT: It doesn't correct the original file but allows me to render/compile into another file.
    "Truly superior pilots are those who use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills"- Author unknown

KF7TRX

VirtualDub doesnt completely fix the original... it gets it to the point where it can play back, but without a keyframe index it gets lost when skipping forward/backward in the video.. If there's a way to make virtualdub recreate the keyframe index without having to re-encode the entire video, I haven't found it.

I'd like to figure out how to encode into the correct format for the dvr, though - Guys at the rc track were getting a huge kick out of watching recorded videos on the dvr played back through the fatshark goggles. But, most of my flight footage was recorded prior to me getting the dvr, so its encoded in mjpeg and won't play back on the dvr.
    Far better is it to dare mighty things, even though checkered by failure; than to take rank with those who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.