Thread: Did I destroy my fatshark RCV922 Aviator Edition after connecting it to 3s lipo?

Forum Member

Did I destroy my fatshark RCV922 Aviator Edition after connecting it to 3s lipo?

I FIXED it(kinda), so please somebody remove this thread. And if somebody else have same problem, read my comment to see how I got it to work again.

Hy,
    I have Fatshark RCV922 Aviator Edition goggles with 2.4GHz receiver built in, and I was using them for about a month but battery was old and didn't work very well(I bought them used), so I wanted to connect it to 2s on 3s battery(used it that way for a while), but today I acidently connected it to 3s instead of 2, but only for a moment, then something smoked on board with antenna connector, and later I found 47uF 25V capacitor, (if I read it correctly, it is the largest yellow component near battery and earphones connectors)) was fried. I replaced it with same cap, but not SMD version and I still couldn't get LCDs to light or anything. When I connected it to 3s(when I destroyed it), displays didn't light, or blow up so I hope they are still working. Does aynone know what else could I have fried on that board? Or the other board maybe? If anyone knows how to get it working again please tell me.
    Thank you very much, Dominik.
    Last edited by dominikMC; 24th September 2013 at 05:24 PM. Reason: Solved my problem

Forum Member
    3s shouldnt have hurt it, it can run off 12v.
    Only thing is you might have had the polarity wrong on the conections

Im sure Greg will have some areas for you to look into on the boards to replace parts.
    Australia post: "delivering packages the day after you need them since 1809"

"Light travels faster than sound -- thats why some people appear bright until you hear them speak" - Albert Einstein.

Forum Member

I know, but...

Yea, I know it shouldn't destroy it, and batery wasn't even full, it was about 11.7V, but still it burned. Oh, and I just found out that capacitor wasn't only thing I fried. I also fried 5V voltage regulator(I really don't know why that happened, datasheet says absolute maximum voltage is 30V). I removed original regulator and cap and added external(luckily there was enough space inside for i) and I just tested it few secs ago and it works just fine. But I will probably be getting new SMD cap/regulator or just buy a new 5.8GHz module for it.

Anyway, I made it work again, so I think this tread can be deleted, or something, and I'm sorry for bothering you with this.

Forum Member
    Glad you were able to get it working again. I'll leave the thread as it should be known that the RCV922 only accepts up to 9V. Only the later generation headsets can accept 3S.
    FatShark - RC vision systems - [url]www.fatshark.com[/url]

Forum Member
    Oh , i missed that they where the Aviator edition , i thought they where the older base ones (can run on 12v) sorry , my bad.
    Australia post: "delivering packages the day after you need them since 1809"

"Light travels faster than sound -- thats why some people appear bright until you hear them speak" - Albert Einstein.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hpcoolahan View Post
    Oh , i missed that they where the Aviator edition , i thought they where the older base ones (can run on 12v) sorry , my bad.
    I have te Fatshark RCV922 AE 5,8Ghz, can i put 3s in it?

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sniperx View Post
    I have te Fatshark RCV922 AE 5,8Ghz, can i put 3s in it?
    No. Stick to 2S.
    FatShark - RC vision systems - [url]www.fatshark.com[/url]