Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Battery Boxes for your Wings

Forum Member
    TBS already has a GoPro and cam box, just picked one up for the TW40.
    They do sell battery boxes for the Z1, 4s/3300 sized.

I ended up buying some basswood at hte local hobbystore to make mine.

"Truly superior pilots are those who use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills"- Author unknown

KF7TRX

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by prelator View Post
    For Hobbyking batteries you'll probably have to have people measure them for you, since I don't know how accurate the measurements on the website are. They also seem to vary depending on the batch of batteries. The Zippy 4000mah 20C 4S batteries I was order for a while seemed to randomly vary in size and weight since some batches had extra padding around the cells and others didn't. It was rather frustrating. Now I've starting buying 5000mah Zippy's instead since they're about the same size and weight with more capacity.
    Yeah, I was thinking (worrying) about that too. I know HK's weight specs are usually off so its no surprise the dimensions would be too. The other thing is that batteries puff as they age and/or you abuse them (disclaimer: I abuse mine!). So making the boxes a little oversize would be good... I'd prefer to have them a snug fit but there IS a strap for a reason I suppose.

Are your 5000's "short" enough to fit in your wings profile or do they protrude? I've seen a lot of pics of wings with the batteries protruding a bit and I guess the owner isn't as worried about aerodynamics... or as anal as I am (also, what wing are you using? Deep Reaper?)

One thing I didn't like about my prototype was that the cutout for the wires weakened the box, so I'm going to increase the length a tad and have the edge of that piece come back up so the edge has more contact area on the end piece.
    Last edited by Flying Monkey; 19th September 2013 at 04:30 PM.
    [QUOTE]"You can't take the sky from me"[/QUOTE]

Forum Member
    I'm using a Deep Reaper, and yeah my batteries protrude a little bit, but it doesn't seem to really affect anything.
    ~Patrick M.

YouTube Channel: youtube.com/user/SerithianFPV

Colorado FPV Pilot and Flying Site Map: mapsengine.google.com/map/edit?mid=zjYlxx5w300I.kmgDGKOhrMAo

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotttu View Post
    TBS already has a GoPro and cam box, just picked one up for the TW40.
    They do sell battery boxes for the Z1, 4s/3300 sized.
    Nop, they don't produce the Battery box for the ZI anymore... I asked Trappy when I saw they disappeared from the TBS Store
    http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread....ZI-Battery-Box

BTW I'm looking for the Battery box of the old ZI aswell, I have the Nano Tech 4S 3300 and the RMRC 4S 3300
    [SIZE=3][B]I will be OUTSIDE, so if anyone looks for me, I will be OUTSTANDING!!!![/B][/SIZE]

Forum Member
    Definitely a good idea though I wonder how much you could make.

I wanted some for my EPP wing and since nobody was selling them I made some myself. Cost me about 12 to have two battery boxes and an electronics bay cut at a local laser cutter which I did after about 3-4 hours learning Google Sketchup.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3F7lrf1.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	20.7 KB 
ID:	32404Click image for larger version. 

Name:	patUDcM.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	30.2 KB 
ID:	32405

Forum Member
    So here's my short list so far categorized by Wing

Popwing/Teksumo
    2200mah 3s

Ritewing TW40
    ??

Ritewing Zephr
    3300mah 4s (single wing tanks? Or a dual battery central box?)

Ritewing ZII
    3300mah 4s dual batt central box

Deep Reaper
    4000mah 4s to 5000mah 4s (single wing tanks? Or a dual battery central box?)

There's lots of other wings out there (feel free to suggest and I'll add to the list) but I think I'll start with...

2200mah 3s single
    3300mah 3s to 4s single
    5000mah 4s single

3300mah 3s to 4s dual box

Forum Member
    The Deep Reaper generally uses two separate battery slots with one on each wing. I also think I'm the exception using 4s on it. Most other people use 4000 mah 3s I think. Mine is a heavier more powerful setup than usual for this plane.
    ~Patrick M.

YouTube Channel: youtube.com/user/SerithianFPV

Colorado FPV Pilot and Flying Site Map: mapsengine.google.com/map/edit?mid=zjYlxx5w300I.kmgDGKOhrMAo

Forum Member
    I think just make single boxes which can be combined together to make dual box. Shouldn't be hard to design it such a way that 2 boxes can be interlocked.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by prelator View Post
    The Deep Reaper generally uses two separate battery slots with one on each wing. I also think I'm the exception using 4s on it. Most other people use 4000 mah 3s I think. Mine is a heavier more powerful setup than usual for this plane.
    Oh okay. Well, in most cases 4s batteries of the same mah are just a little taller, so I'll make the box match the height of a 3s and if people use 4s then the battery sticks up a bit like yours. Was thinking that it'd be better to make it sized for a 5000mah... that way 5000 and smaller will fit, someone using a 4000mah can just use the battery straps... and/or add a strip of epp from the scrap to make the battery snug fit.

Quote Originally Posted by londonguy View Post
    I think just make single boxes which can be combined together to make dual box. Shouldn't be hard to design it such a way that 2 boxes can be interlocked.
    Yeah that's a good idea!

Forum Member
    And... the moment you've all been waiting for, lol. Got the first 3 "standard" sizes, in bamboo and plywood. Ran out of room to cut the dual battery box so that'll come with next weeks batch. The plywood came out a tiny bit lighter, a little bit cheaper but more importantly, a bit stiffer. Also, there's less of a grain problem so the plywood won't split down the grain like the bamboo "can" (it CAN, but I haven't had this happen in any of the projects I've used bamboo for, so...). So plywood would seem to be the winner here. The other thing is that these boxes will get glued into epp wing cores so its not like the aesthetic qualities of the bamboo will really be needed

When I was over at pdxDave's looking at the RMRC batteries I noticed that the balance plug comes out the opposite side as the power wires, unlike turnigy or zippy where both came out the same side. So, I put a cutout for the wires on both sides of the box, this could also be helpful if you put your plane together and then decided you wanted the power wires to come out the other side to make the wires "just long enough."

Plywood 2200mah 3s

Plywood 2200mah 3s - With cutouts to see how much weight can be removed. Now that I think of it, you won't want the cutouts on the bottom if the box comes to the bottom of the wing.

Bamboo 2200mah 3s - With cutouts

Plywood 3300mah 3s to 4s

Bamboo 3300mah 3s to 4s

Plywood 5100mah 3s to 4s

Bamboo 5100mah 3s to 4s

So now that plywood is the victor, I'll work on my game of tetris and see how much they cost to make and work up pricing for them.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast