FPVLAB

Page 226 of 245 FirstFirst ... 126176216224225226227228236 ... LastLast
Results 2,251 to 2,260 of 2442

Thread: Personal Bests V5 (LEADERBOARDS)

Navigator
    Quote Originally Posted by Vortecks View Post
    Well done mate!
    Please tell me you also have some HD footage
    Thanks Tony!
    Well, I have most of it.
    But my Runcam HD shutdown at 7327m alt on the ascent to 9010m.

Navigator
    Brilliant. I could watch high altitude climbs & flights all day. There's nothing to see but the clouds, it's so peaceful
    It looks like you're heading into the realms of using synthetic grease in your servos and heated enclosures for the electronics to stop them freezing up.
    Good luck mate and please be the first person to reach the stratosphere with an RC plane. Hang on, that's not possible unless you're using solid fuel for the last bit

immersed from the start AtariJoe's Avatar
    Yes, your control problems would indeed be traced back to servo grease freezing at -50C and less. We have had similar issues while flying winter Alpine gigs, not that high, but long flights below -30C cause the same effects. Amazing that your props could still "breathe" that high. How much % overdrive RPM did you take over sea-level-WOT setting ? CONGRATS to the flight !
    -LOSers cry wolf when they see SHEEP
    -Why? ...because I can.

Amazing flight! Incredible attempt!

I think I was lucky to get away with freezing issues as flew on a tropical thunderstorm. The air was warm and moist. Basically, flying around a storm cell....

Quote Originally Posted by jcatrc View Post
    Hello Tim,

Today, I improved on my altitude record and reached 9010m.
    I was aiming for 10,000m, but the voltage was getting too low and my control surfaces started acting intermittent/unresponsive - possibly freezing up.
    Coming down was more of an adventure, for a while there I thought I was going to lose the plane - the plane wouldn't make a right turn, and I couldn't get on course for home.
    But thankfully, the control surfaces began working again around ~3000m.

- Mini Talon (w/modified ext. wings)
    - (2) Multistars 5200mah 4S Lipos (10,400mah total)
    - DragonLink V3 UHF
    - Runcam Swift 1
    - Runcam HD2
    - Eagle Tree Vector with new beta firmware (fixes the bug where the altitude ladder drops out at 6249m altitude).
    **** Eagle Tree support was super helpful. I sent in a support ticket and within two days ET had a solution - new beta firmware to fix my altimeter ladder so it would read higher than 6249m. ***
    - 1.28GHz 800mW Vtx

- AUW: 2142g

Here's a few pics showing the 9010m altitude and landing/making it back home safely.
    Attachment 78649Attachment 78650Attachment 78652

Thanks for managing this list!
    Cheers!
    JCatRC

Navigator
    @JCatRC: Why did you use the Mini Talon and not the MyTwinDream for the altitude record?

Navigator
    Quote Originally Posted by AtariJoe View Post
    Yes, your control problems would indeed be traced back to servo grease freezing at -50C and less. We have had similar issues while flying winter Alpine gigs, not that high, but long flights below -30C cause the same effects. Amazing that your props could still "breathe" that high. How much % overdrive RPM did you take over sea-level-WOT setting ? CONGRATS to the flight !
    Thanks AtariJoe,

Well, with the really thin air up there it did feel like the motor/prop combo was starting to wind out a little more after climbing above 7500m...and even more so above 8000m but still ok even up to 9000m.
    But the ambient temperature inside the plane (inside the Eagle Tree GPS/Mag sensor which is velcro'd to the top of the Eagle Tree controller) started dropping really fast.
    I can't imagine how much more cold outside it was - those poor servos!...wish I had an outside temp gauge that would've been interesting to see.
    I think the Aeronaut 12x6.5 folding props and the larger 2820/840Kv motor really helped push it farther.
    The thrust on the ground is really impressive even at just 50% throttle.
    Not sure if I'll ever try to improve on 9010m, but if I do, I'll have to make a more robust servo setup as you suggest in your winter Alpine experience.
    Last edited by jcatrc; 26th July 2018 at 03:40 PM.

Navigator
    Quote Originally Posted by Elmosan View Post
    Amazing flight! Incredible attempt!

I think I was lucky to get away with freezing issues as flew on a tropical thunderstorm. The air was warm and moist. Basically, flying around a storm cell....
    Hi Elmosan!

Thank you!
    And tons of respect for you on your 10,020m flight!
    What an amazing accomplishment!
    Not sure if I'll ever come close to your record without a little SRB rocket pack attached.

Navigator
    Hi Papa!

That's a good question!
    Yes, I've considered the MTD for this altitude run, but she's performed so well for me up to now that I wanted to reward her with a break with 67 total flights and four of those flights over 100Km+ range.
    Plus, I think it would've taken longer for the MTD to get up to that altitude with the current motor/esc setup I have - and the longer the servos and electronics are up there the longer they're exposed to that extreme cold air. The actual outside temp at 9000m altitude is estimated to be -36deg C or -32.8deg F while it was 89 deg F on the ground.
    Then, I would've had to carry that heavy 6S9P lithium ion pack up that high - and if anything bad happened (wing ripped off or something), I would've had to worry about a 4.617Kg object falling instead of a 2.14Kg object falling down to the ground from those heights.
    Also, I wanted to try a faster and lighter plane <2.2Kg with a lot of thrust behind her when called upon.
    Last edited by jcatrc; 23rd September 2018 at 08:16 PM.

Navigator
    Thank you for the explanation.
    Do you think that another plane, like the MFD Crosswind, could bring you further?
    You have an amazing video link with your long Yagi. Do you think that a satellite dish could improve the video?

List is up to date. Congrats jcatrc...very impressive.
    My Videos:
    --> https://vimeo.com/user2421484/videos
    --> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTlLcJj_WboUDre8JmfKg4Q/videos[/url]

Page 226 of 245 FirstFirst ... 126176216224225226227228236 ... LastLast