Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: GoPro 3 to Fat Shark TX adapter No video & turns camera off

Navigator
    I have the exact same setup and the exact same issue with my GoPro3. A FatShark camera works just fine. I agree with an earlier post that says a GoPro camera is a bad idea for FPV. Just wanted to make it work. Oh well.

Navigator
    Quote Originally Posted by PureRockets View Post
    I have the exact same setup and the exact same issue with my GoPro3. A FatShark camera works just fine. I agree with an earlier post that says a GoPro camera is a bad idea for FPV. Just wanted to make it work. Oh well.
    Sounds like there's a problem with the connector. Contact us via support and we'll swap it out for you (www.readymaderc.com/support). If the proper pins aren't shorted with the resistor, it could cause the camera to shut off as you mention.

Navigator
    Quote Originally Posted by swillhide View Post
    You for sure should NOT use the VTX to power the gopro. The gopro requires max 1.5a of power to charge/run/record and the VTX max output is 500ma (If I remember correctly) So your either gonna burn the vtx or kill your go pro at the same time.

Just tested with a full battery and my Gopro uses 172mA while running and recording (actually draws same current whether or not it's recording). This was with a Hero3 Black, but I'd suspect it's similar with other Gopros.
    Last edited by Cpig; 5th January 2014 at 05:26 PM.

ImmersionRC Support Guru swillhide's Avatar
    I agree that you recorded a lower current draw but we were talking about max current draw while the camera tries to charge itself.

http://gopro.com/support/articles/wh...while-charging.
    AMA # 1015480 HAM Callsign # Procrastinating..
    Futaba 9c w/Ezuhf /Skywalker 1880 or anything else that I can Lawn Dart.
    Retired: Disco(Sold), Skywalker 1900(Dirt Nap), Qav540g/Nazav2/Iosd mk2

Navigator
    I have to say though, that I did not test it while charging, I had a full battery so I'll try to measure later on a partially charged battery. Thanks for the link, I'll take a look.

ImmersionRC Support Guru swillhide's Avatar
    Yea I agree with you, if it's full then it runs on hardly anything. But when it goes into charge mode I am afraid it wants more amps then should be asked for from a normal vtx power source for a CCD cam.
    AMA # 1015480 HAM Callsign # Procrastinating..
    Futaba 9c w/Ezuhf /Skywalker 1880 or anything else that I can Lawn Dart.
    Retired: Disco(Sold), Skywalker 1900(Dirt Nap), Qav540g/Nazav2/Iosd mk2

Navigator
    If that's the case, I'll just play it safe and run power through a 3A resistor.

Navigator
    Same problem with my Phantom/Zenmuse/Fatshark combo. I charged the GoPro overnight and just confirmed video is back. I'll try cutting the red wire on the USB->Fatshark cable. I installed the Phantom upgrade main board which has a small 6 pin connector for video. An ideal solution would be an RMRC cable with the Phantom 6pin going to the Fatshark.

I also noticed quite a bit of audio interference on the video recorded by the GoPro last night. Possibly from the power wire struggling to charge the GP from the FS. A direct Phantom to FS cable might alleviate that too.

I have a bumb usb cable that when I attach my gp1 to my computer it shut the gopro off as i plug it in, if the plug into the gopro then the computer it works fine. its in the cable as the other 5 I have work fine. Its just this one that either looses contact for a split second or has a tiny short in it as I plug in.

I vote bad connector.