FPVLAB

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I.B. Crazy's Amazing PepperBox

Forum Member

I.B. Crazy's Amazing PepperBox

I've been flying RC for over 20 years and FPV for about 1 and half. When I first go into flying FPV the idea of how high I could go is what intrigued me the most. Then, after watching videos and studying antenna theory the idea of long range low missions seemed so cool. I started with a Bixler on 72mhz and a LawMate 2.4 with a I.B. Clover Leaf and a cyclops osd. After snapping the wing on the Bix I went with what I consider the greatest all around FPV airplane of all time: The Skywalker. Mine isn't pretty but I never intended it to be- it is a utility plane- that is all. I've got my Phoenix Edge 50 mounted outside on the fuselage wall to keep it cool and dings and dents but she flies soooo well. Now I'm GoPro, EZUHF, FY31AP/Hornet OSD but I've always used I.B.'s antennas. Well this evening I went for a personal distance record: four miles out and four miles back using I.B.'s incredible PepperBox antenna. I achieved my goal without so much as a flicker on the screeen (I fly on a Feelworld monitor- goggles give me motion sickness). That antenna is amazing. It also lets you know if you are getting out of range to the right or left in plenty of time to either have someone turn the antenna or simply turn the plane back into the field. Great Job, I.B. There will be a bronze statue of you my friend when this hobby is older!! Thanks for all the fun!

Forum Member
    its my primary antenna these days as well backed up by Mad mushroom via oracle diversity.
    nothing but awesome.
    [SIZE="3"][B]Live Slow - Fly FAST![/B][/SIZE]

FPV does NOT fly ASAP.

Forum Member
    How are you liking oracle diversity? I used to have an immersion diversity but got rid of it because people said CP didn't work well with diversity and I was seeing issues... turns out my lawmate tx from TBS was messed up from day one.

I have a gattling that has a radiation pattern that pinches in pretty well at close range that would be nice to fill in a bit.
    KF7SKL,TechPod/Walrus/250mmQuad/HoneyBadger, EZUHF,SL-AAT, 1G3/2G4/5G8

Forum Member
    Dust,

I've got a Mad Mushroom on the way (been using a skew planer) for my 2.4 setup. You've touched on something that I've got questions about as well. I've got an Oracle sitting in the box and was wondering what antenna would complement the PepperBox?

Concerning Lawmate, I was running a 1w 2.4 since day one. After a post from Ssassen from Immersion I got rid of it and am now running one of the "Boscam Type" 750mw Txs and it seems muuccch better. I take what Tim at RMRC, Ssassen at Immersion and I.B. say as gospel and it has served me well. According to what I've read many places the Lawmate 1w interferes with other components but there are others much more wise on this topic than I.

Lastly, Hobby King has the 8000mw Zippys in stock at the US warehouse. I picked up two and would have bought more if I had the cash. They are lighter than listed (haven't had time to weigh one but will after work if anyone is interested) and fit perfectly in the bottom of a Skywalker for some long flight times.

Forum Member
    1w Vtx is waaay too much. 750 is still pushing it. 500 will take you many many miles. Those batts should be just fine for you.

Pepperbox is baws by itself, i could only see a good omni to go with it if diversity is to be used. I got my Oracle from a dude here that got rid if it because her got the pepperbox and didnt need it, cause its beam is SO wide. I put it on there so i didnt have to worry about flying behind to antenna to set up for landings or what not..

My oracle works perfectly. Its super fast, and clear. I cant wait to really put it through its paces.
    I have a hard time finding a better combo that directional AND omni for all kinds of flying. now i dont have to pick and choose what type of flight or be a picky about direction. its all about freedom. while my GS is a bit heaier and more intensive to set up, its not a big deal at all.
    [SIZE="3"][B]Live Slow - Fly FAST![/B][/SIZE]

FPV does NOT fly ASAP.

Forum Member
    I'm glad you like the Pepperbox. I just wish they weren't such a pain to build! I am actually on revision 3 right now which has a full cover over the elements and a solid box rather than the frame in-frame design. Performance hasn't changed, though.

As for diversity, it never worked with CP for me. Many other reported erratic switching with CP antennas. You can try it out and if it works, then use it. However, if you hear it switch ever couple of seconds, you will be better off without it.

-Alex
    If it is broken, fix it. if it isn't broken, I'll soon fix that.

[url]videoaerialsystems.com[/url] - Performance video piloting

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by IBCrazy View Post
    I'm glad you like the Pepperbox. I just wish they weren't such a pain to build! I am actually on revision 3 right now which has a full cover over the elements and a solid box rather than the frame in-frame design. Performance hasn't changed, though.

As for diversity, it never worked with CP for me. Many other reported erratic switching with CP antennas. You can try it out and if it works, then use it. However, if you hear it switch ever couple of seconds, you will be better off without it.

-Alex
    Alex,

Another revision? You don't happen to know a good divorce attorney do you? I'm gonna have to have one!! Just kidding.

When you say diversity doesn't work with circular polarized do you mean on the plane as well? In other words, you mean mixing an omni and a directional with diversity doesn't work on the ground station if I am understanding you correctly. Sorry if this is a stupid question but I really want to use the Oracle correctly whenever I decide to set it up. Like dust said, it's hard to see the need for diversity with the PepperBox after the flight I made yesterday- talk about a blast!! If it exists, what antenna would complement the PepperBox with diversity? I've found that I can fly good distances behind it and still get a great picture but I land line of sight (unless under emergency). If the PepperBox is best just on its own, what two antennas would you recommend for the Oracle? Thanks and keep up the great work!

Forum Member
    @pat - I was only referring to video diversity. Mind you, I dropped diversity back when all we had was the helical and the skew-wheel as CP antennas. i haven't done much testing with the Crosshair or Pepperbox on diversity. However, diversity and a pepperbox is generally serious overkill.

-Alex
    If it is broken, fix it. if it isn't broken, I'll soon fix that.

[url]videoaerialsystems.com[/url] - Performance video piloting

Forum Member
    @IBCrazy, not to highjack this thread, but I'd had to ask.
    Can you tell us a bit more on why diversity is not a good idea on CP antennas? I'm building video quality based diversity controller on my own, so it would be usefull to know.
    Sent from my toaster :p

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by IBCrazy View Post
    @pat - I was only referring to video diversity. Mind you, I dropped diversity back when all we had was the helical and the skew-wheel as CP antennas. i haven't done much testing with the Crosshair or Pepperbox on diversity. However, diversity and a pepperbox is generally serious overkill.

-Alex
    Alex,

Thanks for clearing that up. I guess I'm going to just put the Oracle on the shelf until someone comes along with an idea for using it. I hate to sell it as I doubt I'd get near the 160 bucks it cost me but it seems to have become a bit of a nostalgia piece.

I'll be testing the PepperBox again after work today...gonna go for possibly five miles one way. Had to charge batteries and hook up a new HAD II yesterday.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast