FPVLAB

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Helmets while flying RC stuff?!?

Forum Member

Helmets while flying RC stuff?!?

Sadly, a 19 year old guy was struck and killed by his heli a few days ago
    http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?se...ork&id=9237643
    Probably pilot error. Sad

So today, someone dead-seriously suggested wearing helmets while flying rc. I think it's dumb. What are your thoughts?

I wear a tin foil hat every time I fly. It keeps me safe from the radio wavz.

Forum Member
    They make the control line guys wear them. I think it's so they have some protection when they fall down from being dizzy...

I always wear my foil lined ball cap. It keeps David22 from stealing my ideas.
    KD0NDC

ImmersionRC Support Guru swillhide's Avatar
    Helmet would not have saved his neck. What next are we gonna stand behind blast shields?
    AMA # 1015480 HAM Callsign # Procrastinating..
    Futaba 9c w/Ezuhf /Skywalker 1880 or anything else that I can Lawn Dart.
    Retired: Disco(Sold), Skywalker 1900(Dirt Nap), Qav540g/Nazav2/Iosd mk2

Forum Member
    i read a different article to this one a day ago or so. an interview with a friend of his said one of his best tricks was to drop down straight above his head and stop it inches from hitting himself then fly off ...

stupidity is more often the not fatal...
    [SIZE=2]all work, no play =( [SIZE=2][SIZE=2][/SIZE][/SIZE]
    [/SIZE]

Forum Member
    ^Think you could link to that article?
    ~BG

[B]Fixed wing:[/B] Volantex Ranger 2.4j - Volantex Ranger 2k - Strix Strato Surfer - VAS Banshee - Sky Hunter Grey - Sky Hunter White - Skwalker 1900 - CTH Storm Chaser - CTH Albatross - Diamond 2500 - Super Sky Surfer - Phoenix 2000 - Fun Cub - Sonic 185 - Eflite ascent
    [B]Wings:[/B] PopWing - Multiplex Xeno
    [B]Multi-Copters:[/B] 400Q - Spanky - PE SS Mini H - GLB spider quad - ATG 750 - Tarot FY680 - V929 - Syma X5C

Forum Member
    Last winter (or maybe the one before) a skier or two whacked themselves hitting trees at high speed. Next thing you know some clueless politician is suggesting helmets mandatory on ski hills, because .00000001% of skiers may have avoided a fatality if they had had one on.

You take risks, sh*t happens once in awhile - THE END. Trying to legislate things like this is stupidity to 5000th power.

As it is we're raising a bubble wrapped generation that is growing up completely adverse to taking any risks whatsoever.

Can you imagine where we'd be today if our forefathers (& mothers) had been as adverse to risk as people are today?

Forum Member
    He bled out from the neck, so I would suggest full body armor, not just a helmet?
    Velvety smooth drone pilot for hire

Forum Member
    I believe the only solution is launching our dual battery airplanes from Faraday caged submarine.

Seriously though, I feel he could have been flying in a better location giving him more room to keep the heli away from him. A park in the middle of a city isn't ideal for a large heli. I've been told it was an official AMA field, this is therefore incorrect. Don't trust Internet news.
    Last edited by Byro; 8th September 2013 at 07:03 PM. Reason: I was wrong (gasp!)

Forum Member
    When you're flying a T-Rex 700, you should have utter respect for the blades, it seems he didn't, therefore he gets the ultimate Darwin award.. It is what it is, if i jumped in front of a bus, expecting it to brake, and it doesn't, who's fault is it? It's no reason to equip every bus with pillows on the front.
    [SIZE="1"]Youtube username: SicariusMortus[/SIZE]
    [FONT="Arial Black"][U][SIZE="2"][COLOR="red"]F[COLOR="silver"]P[COLOR="blue"]V[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/U] [U][COLOR="#ff8c00"]NL[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/U]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast