Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: The new QAV400G -- Brushless Gimbal Unit for the QAV400

AW: The new QAV400G -- Brushless Gimbal Unit for the QAV400

Quote Originally Posted by Joffa_Dan View Post
    I'm with the others, probably best to wait for further testing. Whilst 1100's are recommended, I think the 900's would still be a fine choice.
    Also (with the extra weight), the lower kv will run a bit cooler.
    Daskim I wouldn't run out to upgrade just yet..
    Some of you may remember my QAV400G build with the Hummer Brushles Gimbal.
    I still fly it with the 900kv motors without problems. Of course it isnt as snappy as without the gimbal but hey with the gimbal you fly different since you get different footage.

Andy

Travis -- to keep this thread focused on the QAV400G, I moved your post/pictures into your QAV400 build thread.

The new QAV400G -- Brushless Gimbal Unit for the QAV400

Thanks Tim. Sorry about that!

Andy.. I had seen your gimbal that you made some time ago and was impressed. I ordered all the parts for it a long time ago, and had been waiting to build my 400. I am now taking a trip next week and want a gimbal machine to take with me. It's too bad my 540G crashed late July, so I figured this would be the next best thing. I have had some hard luck with the gimbals and wanted to figure out a fast way to accomplish the footage I was after.

I have a very detailed build thread going that shows what I did. I know it won't compare to what's coming with Tim's new upgrade.. But if I can get a few safe flights with it next week. That would be great, as I can't miss the opportunity. :-)

Navigator
    Thanks Dan and Andy.

My intended use for the QAV400 is for small size, unobtrusive aerial videography, not sport or acro flying.

I will mostly be hovering, and given the video produced by the QAV500 and 400 without a BG, this should be sweet.

Thanks for doing this Tim. Am willing to beta test.

There's now also the bull-nose props, which suddenly make much more sense, could be ideal for gimbal+lower kv motors.

Quote Originally Posted by GekoCH View Post
    Some of you may remember my QAV400G build with the Hummer Brushles Gimbal.
    I still fly it with the 900kv motors without problems. Of course it isnt as snappy as without the gimbal but hey with the gimbal you fly different since you get different footage.

Andy
    Hey Andy and team, I can assure you that the Lumenier 2216/9 1100kv's are awesome for this configuration. I've been flying the 1100kv motors on my QAV400+after market gimbal for a couple months now while I patiently await the release of the Lumenier QAV400G gimbal. I've put quite a few flights through this configuration in upwards of 100 degree Fahrenheit days here in SoCal and after multiple back to back full packs, they're barely warm. Not hot at all.

Also, to note, with this after-market gimbal setup I rigged up, my AUW is 1720g which is probably closer to 100g heavier than what Tim's fine engineering has come up with, so she'll fly even better that she does already.

Let me know if ya'll have any questions about what the QAV400G should fly with as I've tested a few different motors and five different prop types, etc. I'm also looking forward to getting me a set of Lumenier 8" "Bullnose" props as I believe they should be awesome with this configuration. I'll update after testing.

Some example of what you should be able to expect from the QAV400G as the AUW weight is very close and I'm running Lumenier Motors and ESC's.

http://youtu.be/rq__Qpp8aH0

There's now also the bull-nose props, which suddenly make much more sense, could be ideal for gimbal+lower kv motors.
    Thats a good point..

@Tim,

Looks like there is some further questions on the "best" power setup for this new machine.. some are saying 900kv, and I know I read you mentioned 1100kv.. Would you be able to comment on the differences in real world terms from one setup vs another? I just can't imagine 900kv, 8", and a 4400+ pack with a gimbal, and feel like I had any power? Am I missing something here? I am interested to see what you Tim think about the options that are out there, and perhaps tell us a bit more on your personal thoughts either based from your own tests.. or own experiences...

Thanks so much!!

Every time I turn around Tim your reaching into my pocket! Awesome idea and all though I don't need one I want it!
    Not an expert, just follow direction well....

Navigator
    Both Tim and Andy assured me today via e mail that the 900kv Tigers are sufficient for the QAV400 with this anticipated gimbal.

If that helps anyone. Again, the response came from both Tim and Andy of Lumenier about using the 900kv Tigers

all your talk about the 900 vs 1100 makes me dizzy. I have a QAV400 with the Tigers MT 2212-13 980kv waiting for the gimbal to be released and my holidays in Australia (yes Juz:-) Will I have to change to the larger 1100kv motors? I do not want to just hover but I do not need the most powerful setup either as the gimbal will not always be on it.