Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: The new QAV400G -- Brushless Gimbal Unit for the QAV400

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Harris View Post
    Tim has said, this is a prebuilt, removable gimbal for the 400.
    I am not sure yet how much of this will be pre-built if anything. The gimbal is not hard to put together the way I designed it, but getting one finished unit would be the best. So, still TBD exactly. The key point is that this product is what I call a "Brushelss Gimbal Unit" that is fully self contained -- it has everything needed to run. This enables the quick bolt on and take off. You attach it to the QAV400, plug the power in and that's it.

Co-Pilot

The new QAV400G -- Brushless Gimbal Unit for the QAV400

Quote Originally Posted by timnilson View Post
    I am not sure yet how much of this will be pre-built if anything. The gimbal is not hard to put together the way I designed it, but getting one finished unit would be the best. So, still TBD exactly. The key point is that this product is what I call a "Brushelss Gimbal Unit" that is fully self contained -- it has everything needed to run. This enables the quick bolt on and take off. You attach it to the QAV400, plug the power in and that's it.
    That's excellent!!!

Navigator
    Tim:

My build on the RTF QAV400 included the Tiger MT 2216 900kvs. Is that going to be sufficient?

If not, can I change the build to the 1100 kvs or with the Tiger 900kvs be sufficient?

Thanks.
    Last edited by daskim; 7th September 2013 at 08:34 PM.

Co-Pilot

The new QAV400G -- Brushless Gimbal Unit for the QAV400

Quote Originally Posted by daskim View Post
    Tim:

My build on the RTF QAV400 included the Tiger MT 2216 900kvs. Is that going to be sufficient?

If not, how do I change it to the 1100 kvs?

Is it too late.
    900kv with a 8" prop is not going to give you enough power with the added weight of the gimbal and larger packs.

Navigator
    900kv with a 8" prop is not going to give you enough power with the added weight of the gimbal and larger packs.
    care to enlighten us with details? how much thrust do the 2216-11 motors produce on 8050 props and 4S compared to the 2216-9 motors? you already seem to know the weight of the gimbal, so please share your knowledge!

Great news! Been waiting for this one! It's is great to know that you never stop improving your stuff Tim Will definitely get one of those and park the rest of the fleet in the garage when I'm going on my trips

--
    S
    Cinestar 8/Mikrokopter, QAV550G/CC3D, DJI F450/NAZA+GPS, QAV400/CC3D

www.facebook.com/sickans.multicopter
    youtube.com/user/sickanlund
    vimeo.com/user13084509

Really? I would wait to see real world tests before making such a claim. You could be right though.

As a side note, I flew the gimbal on 2650mah, 3000mah, 3300mah and 4000mah 4s during my first tests. You don't necessarily have to fly the gimbal with larger packs.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/juz70

Navigator
    Quote Originally Posted by juz View Post
    Really? I would wait to see real world tests before making such a claim. You could be right though.

As a side note, I flew the gimbal on 2650mah, 3000mah, 3300mah and 4000mah 4s during my first tests. You don't necessarily have to fly the gimbal with larger packs.
    I ran this through eCalc with a gimbal weight with GoPro H3 of about 265g combined, and the 900kv Tigers performed within normal ranges at about 1380 grams AUW.

This was with no FPV equipment on board and running a 3300mah Lumenier 4S lipo.

I know eCalc isn't always right on, but I don't see a huge difference between the 900 and 1100 Tigers.

Any help on this would be appreciated.
    Last edited by daskim; 7th September 2013 at 08:34 PM.

Co-Pilot
    care to enlighten us with details? how much thrust do the 2216-11 motors produce on 8050 props and 4S compared to the 2216-9 motors? you already seem to know the weight of the gimbal, so please share your knowledge!
    Sure ;-)

I have personally flown 900kv, with 8" props on a test 400 frame when I was in transition from CC3D, and Naza. Anyway.. I felt it bogged down vs the 980's that I had on there at the time.. and the "response" was not as crisp at all. There was a difference in the feel, and I guess I just feel that it's not worth it at all.

and...

I seem to be picking up a bit of experience with gimbals lately, having build and tested the most popular three on the market.. and I can say for fact, that the extra "pop" is MUCH wanted vs needed if you plan on doing anything on a serious level. Sure, if you want to hover around and sip some coffee at the same time.. then by all means go with some 900's and save the hassle of switching your order.. but, ah.. if you want some performance with that.. then you need the 1100's with 8" AND the added weight of the gimbal, and packs are not helping you. Being that they are practically the same price.. it's really a no brainer... and should not need much more explanation then that ;-) FWIW, I have to assume this is also why it's the recommended setup for the 400G from the manufacture.. it just works well!

Navigator
    I'm with the others, probably best to wait for further testing. Whilst 1100's are recommended, I think the 900's would still be a fine choice.
    Also (with the extra weight), the lower kv will run a bit cooler.
    Daskim I wouldn't run out to upgrade just yet..