Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 19272829

Thread: The new QAV400G -- Brushless Gimbal Unit for the QAV400

This thread has not been active for quite some time, and I just wanted to share my frustrations and success with the Lumenier 400 2 axis brushless gimbal PNP. I recently purchased the Plug-and-Play (PNP) gimbal expecting it to work straight out of the box after mounting my GoPro 4 and plugging in a 3S lipo battery. Unfortunately, the gimbal began to behave erratically with no correction. Obviously, this gimbal was not tuned as it should have been since this was a PNP. Secondly, there were no instructions nor was there any micro USB cable to properly tune my gimbal. So after numerous hours trying to tune this gimbal properly even despite the recommended settings from Lumenier on this thread, I had no success what so ever. I updated the lastest Basecam firmware and GUI V 2.40 b7. I found out the latest firmware is very unstable for this gimbal. The earlier Basecam 8 bit Alexmos firmware and GUI V 2.30 b5 is the most stable and holds the gimbal very steady without oscillations. I have the gimbal tuned perfectly at last. To save members who currently have or plan to purchase this 2 axis gimbal, you should have a good working knowledge on tuning Alexmos gimbal controllers because it can be a pain the _____! You can spend countless hours with no end in sight.

So here are my PID settings and motor configuration settings for this gimbal, and please use the older version V2.30 b5 firmware. Kindly note I decided to disable the RC roll setting and enable the RC pitch only. The roll setting really doesn't play a role in my aerial videos. Anyway, this was a big learning curve for me even despite having several gimbals, and I hope this information comes useful for this forum. I will be posting a video soon on my set-up and of course an aerial video. In the meantime please enjoy one of my other videos on YouTube. Here's the link:
    Cheers!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SimpleBGC GUI v2.30.png 
Views:	250 
Size:	126.9 KB 
ID:	61868Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Simple BGC GUI advance.png 
Views:	216 
Size:	131.8 KB 
ID:	61869Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Simple BGC GUI RC settings.png 
Views:	221 
Size:	156.6 KB 
ID:	61870

This is the set-up of my QAV 400 quad with a Lumenier front-mounted brushless 2 axis gimbal
    - QAV 400 frame
    - QAV 400 front-mounted 2 axis brushless gimbal using an 8 bit AlexMos Simple BGC. Ferrite rings added to pitch and roll cables
    - Lumenier 600 TVL FPV camera
    - DJI Naza Lite
    - 500 mW Boscam transmitter
    - Futaba 12 SC transmitter
    - Futaba 8 R608FS receiver
    - NTM 2826S - 1200 KV motors
    - 8 x 4.5 APC propellers
    - GoPro 4 Action Camera with Lumenier layer lens
    - Venom 5000 maH 3S 35c lipo battery

Here are some pictures and a video of the gimbal in action.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2gt3mdj.jpg 
Views:	215 
Size:	504.7 KB 
ID:	61896Click image for larger version. 

Name:	258pcgk.jpg 
Views:	199 
Size:	533.1 KB 
ID:	61897Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ayx92d.jpg 
Views:	183 
Size:	238.9 KB 
ID:	61898

Last edited by fpvguam; 9th May 2015 at 08:25 AM.

Navigator
    Could you post your gimbal settings screen? My pitch angle maxes out at +67/-67 degrees I think. Can't get it to look straight up or straight down.

Quote Originally Posted by fpvguam View Post
    This is the set-up of my QAV 400 quad with a Lumenier front-mounted brushless 2 axis gimbal
    - QAV 400 frame
    - QAV 400 front-mounted 2 axis brushless gimbal using an 8 bit AlexMos Simple BGC. Ferrite rings added to pitch and roll cables
    - Lumenier 600 TVL FPV camera
    - DJI Naza Lite
    - 500 mW Boscam transmitter
    - Futaba 12 SC transmitter
    - Futaba 8 R608FS receiver
    - NTM 2826S - 1200 KV motors
    - 8 x 4.5 APC propellers
    - GoPro 4 Action Camera with Lumenier layer lens
    - Venom 5000 maH 3S 35c lipo battery

Quote Originally Posted by del3d View Post
    Could you post your gimbal settings screen? My pitch angle maxes out at +67/-67 degrees I think. Can't get it to look straight up or straight down.
    Kindly refer to post #281. All of my gimbal settings have been posted there. Use version V2.30 b5 firmware which is a more stable version compared to the latest version. Set pitch to angle mode only with -10 as your min. angle and 100 as your maximum angle in the RC setting tab. You might have to increase your max. angle if you want your camera to view further past horizontal.

Navigator
    Thank you for your kind response! I must have been blind.

Quote Originally Posted by fpvguam View Post
    Kindly refer to post #281. All of my gimbal settings have been posted there. Use version V2.30 b5 firmware which is a more stable version compared to the latest version. Set pitch to angle mode only with -10 as your min. angle and 100 as your maximum angle in the RC setting tab. You might have to increase your max. angle if you want your camera to view further past horizontal.
    A here's my latest edit with the QAV400G
    Last edited by del3d; 24th September 2015 at 10:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by del3d View Post
    Thank you for your kind response! I must have been blind.

A here's my latest edit with the QAV400G

Very impressive video of the fireworks! I also like your choice of music as well. Your gimbal is rock steady. I’m glad you were able to fix your problem with your gimbal settings.

Congrats!

Navigator
    Did anyone experience any kind of jello with the quick mount QAV gimbal?
    I have the 540g v2 and am interested if the lack of dampners have affect with jello.