VideoAerialSystems

Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Custom Pepperboxes and cloverleafs by Mashton1138!

Forum Member
    Hey guys... i'll chime in on my experiences. I wish I had a DVR so i can just show you

I haven't been able to test range, as I don't really have any copters setup for that type of flying... but I can tell you that the farthest I've gone (about 600 meters) it's been crystal clear. Flying low is also very clear. Penetrating through bushes, trees, fences, small buildings, people, etc... is now totally flyable. At least that's my opinion. You still get some signal breakup, but I've found that this really only happens when I've got a real thick tree trunk inbetween. I've never flown 1.3 so I can't comment on that comparison.

At first I didn't think it was a vast improvement until i switched back to a clover leaf... then the difference was obvious.

The wide beam really is awesome. In fact, I can fly to the sides and even behind me a decent distance before the signal breaks up.

It's not a DVR clip, but maybe this will give a rough idea about my flight area. The first and last clips will give you an idea of how high I went (crystal clear) and I maintained the pbox pointing straight ahead, maybe tilted up just a tad from level. The clips in between should give you an idea of the low level flying (granted I stayed in pretty close proximity) but the grass isn't leveled in some areas. While flying down low here... I can't even recall having any signal issues. I'm very happy with it.

And there's a always a crash compilation at the end if you didn't get anything at all from my "review"

Forum Member
    Expect to get 15% more range than a single crosshair for the 5.8g pepperbox.
    Under the same humid conditions and RF noise in Singapore, we get 5km on ibcrazy's crosshair and 6km on a home brew pepperbox using corporate coax matching (without the 180deg phase delay). Mashton is right, it is damn difficult to make at 5.8g. With lots of patience put into the build process, this PB in the videos below has a 1.62 vswr (measured with an Agilent spectrum analyzer).

Ground Test (beam width, range, penetration)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koHmiVdaA6g

Short Flight (low altitude):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CMRmrHyNfk

Long Flight (high altitude):

Terence
    Last edited by RC-Concepts; 19th February 2014 at 01:19 AM.

Forum Member
    Thanks for sharing Terence. Admittedly it was your video that got me thinking on it. I test all the ones I build on an Agilent Vector Network Analyzer, and it can be cruel after a long day sometimes. LOL They truly are a bitch to build.
    [QUOTE=whakahere;63562]I keep thinking I should give up crashing too ... I guess it is an addiction.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=CaliDave]Who sliced open that tauntaun?[/quote]

Me----"This is a results may vary type of hobby, get used to it."

Video Aerial Systems Operations Manager

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MASHTON1138 View Post
    There is a few guys that have posted on RCGroups about them. They seem pretty happy with it. I have done limited testing on it so far and it works very well.

Compared to the Super Cannon you have isn't fair. The Super Cannon is very narrow beamed compared to the Pepperbox and has some sidelobes you can manipulate as you fly that the pepperbox doesn't. The Pepperbox allows for 145* of flying at 13DBi, this means no real need for a tracker. That is the biggest advantage to the Pepperbox. It is also more compact and lower profile than the helical making goggle mounting viable.
    I guess I better keep my tracker in working order then huh? You shoulda seen the aat swinging that thing the other night, it was pretty...whoever built it, well done sir!

I have had a very good experience with the penetration of the original Black Cannon, I like how long it is, and black...

I cannot wait to give this Super Black Cannon a romp in the hay!!
    Flight Club - "In thrust we trust"

Forum Member
    @squishy. Could this be your long lost black cannon?
    http://goo.gl/fdojDA

Forum Member
    Covers are ready!!!!!

[QUOTE=whakahere;63562]I keep thinking I should give up crashing too ... I guess it is an addiction.[/QUOTE]

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MASHTON1138 View Post
    Covers are ready!!!!!

I want one if these!

Forum Member
    Send me a PM.

Forum Member
    How much loss is there using a 1280 PB RX with an IBCrazy inverted vee on the TX?

Forum Member
    3db