Page 87 of 892 FirstFirst ... 3777858687888997137187587 ... LastLast

Thread: New molded Ritewing Zephyr II

No Artificial Sweeteners. kev.au's Avatar
    Hey, need help.

I'm buying a Hyperion Zs 3014 12-Turn, 1132Kv http://www.xc-rc.com.au/index.php?ma...roducts_id=998 I'm a little unsure of what size aeronaut centerpiece i need?. The Zs comes with a front-mount collet adapter with M6 prop shaft. http://www.xc-rc.com.au/index.php?ma...ort=20a&page=2

They don't have the prop size i want(9x6), or prop stops .
    Last edited by kev.au; 6th January 2012 at 04:51 AM.
    Håvard Støre : Sir I humbly bow down to your balsa bashing abilities!!.
    chicken sashimi : my T-Shirts are all 100% guaranteed to get you laid.
    Roberto : you're a legend Kev.
    ssassen : I bow humbly before kev.au's greatness.
    Danub : Sir I humbly bow down to your tree bashing abilities!!.
    MonZon : Damn, Kev you are gooooood!.
    R. Montiel : For sure the limiting factor is the earth curvature

Quote Originally Posted by kev.au View Post
    Hey, need help.

I'm buying a Hyperion Zs 3014 12-Turn, 1132Kv http://www.xc-rc.com.au/index.php?ma...roducts_id=998 I'm a little unsure of what size aeronaut centerpiece i need?. The Zs comes with a front-mount collet adapter with M6 prop shaft. http://www.xc-rc.com.au/index.php?ma...ort=20a&page=2

The Zeph has no nose you need to fold around, so use the smallest yoke you can (42mm). Prop stops ask Tim Nilson (FPVmanuals), or make them yourself using an old credit card.

Thanks, i'll do that.

I´m lost
    Luckily I had an 8 mm carbon tube lying around that I bored the inside to 6mm, snug fit. Just saw some 6mm yokes check the links below.

these guys have a great selection:

http://www.espritmodel.com/graupner-...ropellers.aspx
    http://www.espritmodel.com/aeronaut-...ack-turbo.aspx
    http://www.espritmodel.com/folding-propellers.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by kev.au View Post
    Hey, need help.

seeing the world through a security camera

nope. there is a small gap 2 or 3mm

maybe if my rates were REALLY high. but you simply do not need more than 10mm on elevator each way and 15mm each way on ailerons.

@ kev go for a 10x5 bro you will love it.

Quote Originally Posted by brosius85 View Post
    @ kev go for a 10x5 bro you will love it.

I'm going to stick with sanders recommendation for a 9x6 and see how that works out, but hey if you think i;ll like a 10x5, i'll grab a set .

So instead of doing the elevons last night (the balsa saw that was supposed to come in, didn't), I soldered up a wiring harness. To test my work, I plugged the batteries into my watt meter. First I plugged one battery and got just about 12.6 volts. Great. Then I plugged in the second battery and the voltage jumped up to something over 13 volts and the wire to the second battery got warm quickly. Ugh.

Got out the laptop and looked up 'parallel' wiring examples to be sure I wasn't doing something boneheaded but everything looked right. So I checked another example and then another and another and so forth. Everything looked good. Wait, why did the first 4 cell battery only show 12.6 volts? Because I plugged in a 3 cell 5000mah battery (Sky Lipo from HobbyPartz). Doh! Explains everything. Got out my other 4 cell, plugged them both in and all was right with the world.

Here's the point: my two 3 cell 5000mah batteries have the exact same dimensions (and approximate weight) as my 4 cell 3300mah batteries. Seems like it would make for an easy way to lay up the ZII for speed versus distance since both sets of batteries fit flush in the hatch. Of course, this is table top theory for me at the moment and not sure if the 4 cell would be more efficient with less mah. Does anyone fly the ZII with 3 cells?
    Last edited by Infernal Bill; 6th January 2012 at 12:48 PM.

Navigator
    Quote Originally Posted by Infernal Bill View Post
    So instead of doing the elevons last night (the balsa saw that was supposed to come in, didn't), I soldered up a wiring harness. To test my work, I plugged the batteries into my watt meter. First I plugged one battery and got just about 12.6 volts. Great. Then I plugged in the second battery and the voltage jumped up to something over 13 volts and the wire to the second battery got warm quickly. Ugh.

Got out the laptop and looked up 'parallel' wiring examples to be sure I wasn't doing something boneheaded but everything looked right. So I checked another example and then another and another and so forth. Everything looked good. Wait, why did the first 4 cell battery only show 12.6 volts? Because I plugged in a 3 cell 5000mah battery (Sky Lipo from HobbyPartz). Doh! Explains everything. Got out my other 4 cell, plugged them both in and all was right with the world.

Here's the point: my two 3 cell 5000mah batteries have the exact same dimensions (and approximate weight) as my 4 cell 3300mah batteries. Seems like it would make for an easy way to lay up the ZII for speed versus distance since both sets of batteries fit flush in the hatch. Of course, this is table top theory for me at the moment and not sure if the 4 cell would be more efficient with less mah. Does anyone fly the ZII with 3 cells?
    I wouldn't mind some education on this as well ...

Cor blimey, guv'nor!
    You might discover your chosen motor and prop combo doesn't produce sufficient power on 3S to shift a 2Kg ZII. It would help to know what motor you're using. I run 3S with a Turnigy SK-3548 1100kv and a 10x7 prop
    Last edited by Ian Davidson; 6th January 2012 at 01:43 PM.

Funny you should mention that as I was just playing around with ecalc and now have 12 printed out sheets in front of me. I'm trying out different combinations of motors (Hacker A30-10l versus Turnigy D3542/4 (1450) versus old red and blue Turnigy 3648-1450), 10x5 prop verus 9x6 prop and 3 cell versus 4 cell. All seem to at least be close to each motor's capabilities but here is what I'm finding with regard to thrust and efficiency:

Hacker: 4 cell on a 10x5 gets 2900 grams of thrust (pulling 57 amps) and 3 cell gets 1800 grams (34 amps)
    Hacker: 4 cell on a 9x6 gets about 2700 grams of thrust (pulling 49 amps) and 3 cell gets 1700 grams (30 amps)

Turnigy D3542/4: 4 cell on a 10x5 gets 3700 grams of thrust (but appears to pull about 90 amps) and 3 cell gets 2400 grams (pulling 59 amps)
    Turnigy D3542/4: 4 cell on a 9x6 gets about 3500 grams of thrust (pulling 78 amps) and 3 cell gets 2300 grams (pulling 50 amps)

Blue and Red Turnigy: 4 cell on a 10x5 gets 4100 grams of thrust (pulling 96 amps) and 3 cell gets 2700 grams (pulling 64 amps)
    Blue and Red Turnigy: 4 cell on a 9x6 gets about 3800 grams of thrust (pulling 82 amps) and 3 cell gets 2400 grams (pulling 53 amps)
    Last edited by Infernal Bill; 6th January 2012 at 02:00 PM.