Page 3 of 107 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: Airtruksrus trailer ground station buildup

Chatting with Blackley on this last night, it all depends on the projector i will be able to find at a decent price, then work on the spacing and dynamics of the screen. I can get a spacing of around 4 ft wide for the screen but would take a bit of reconstructing the front of the trailer.
    KF7TSE

youtube.com/channel/UCzoOpmJK8_WOlBl65sZAfGw
    vimeo.com/airtruksrus/videos

Airtruksrus Cockpit Ground Station Systems.
    Open for business
    Always under revision to make it better.

Blackley......Very nice! Thanks for these mockups. I wish I had the skills to do that kind of stuff. Dummy me would just buy the projector and try it.....lol.
    IMHO using a single projector or TV screen (46 inch one in my case) is only going to give you so much. Trying to ''extract'' more FOV from information that just isn't there is useless. My flat LCD screen gives me plenty of information to fly by using it in 16:9 mode. The image is slightly stretched but it does fill the sim box very well. In 4:3 mode it feels like you are looking through a tube with such a small FOV. I think the only way to get true several degrees of FOV is to use a multiple projector or TV screens with matching cameras and their own VTX on the FPV plane. Set the cameras at adjacent quadrants and match them to the screens (I think you guys know what I mean). There is just no way to take a single analog image of 4:3 and stretch it to 100 degrees and it not give you distortion. Even if you were sitting only 6 inches from a 46'' screen, you will have your peripheral vision filled but the amount of information available to you is still limited by the lense FOV.
    The other option but a bit expensive is the use of Fresnel lens'es. I searched around and found some that would fit my trailer cockpit but they cost as much as the TV its self........like 300 bucks for a 42''x26''. This would fit in my visuals hood with a slight bow to ad stiffness to it. I gave up on trying to extract a wide FOV out of a single source after using mine and gaining a understanding of it all.......from cos,t to practicality of use, to gain in immersion. For a single source visuals I beleive I have set mine up to as about as optimum and practical as can possibly be attained. When I fly I am concentrating at the center portion of the screen that it does seem like I have a much wider FOV than I actually have. The videos of it do NOT do this sensation justice! You have to sit in it and fly it to really understand what I mean. Airtrucksrus (Scott) has flown it and probably knows what I mean....lol. I honestly dont think the visual system should be a source of over thinking and design after I have used it now......unless of course you wanted to add multiple screens. The only MUST have is a back up screen......lol.

On that note of multiple screens.......I think being able to add 2 to 3 screens and corresponding cameras to an FPV platform would be the ultimate experience in immersion. The next lower option would be to put a projector and the FPV cam on corresponding Head Tracking platforms. We (Reliku and others) talked a lot about this in my cockpit thread. I do think this is practical especially if it was pan only projected onto a curved screen in 4:3 mode to reduce edge distortion. You could look left and right from shoulder to shoulder and the projected image would always be in front of you.
    Brett Hays
    JosephOregon.com
    flitetest.com/articles/fpv-full-scale-cockpit-ground-station-w-42-tv

NOW, it all comes down to who can come up with the better projector setting, me or Brett! Going to take me a bit, still working on the bare bones structure. Here is the other option that i'll discuss with Blackley when he makes his way over here to lend a hand with the frame, whether i get ahold of a projector or a 42" screen, the front of the trailer wall is more than accomodating for the large screen up a bit closer with plenty of room for the control panel directly under. I usually work with cardboard cutouts for sizing but Blackley has an awesome program for showing more of the layout on the computer. The whole key is to keep the distortion to a minimum and have to tweek it a bit till the image makes it flyable.

Guarantee if we got both of these trailers together at the next meet, might just attract more fliers than we had at Mudlarks event.
    KF7TSE

youtube.com/channel/UCzoOpmJK8_WOlBl65sZAfGw
    vimeo.com/airtruksrus/videos

Airtruksrus Cockpit Ground Station Systems.
    Open for business
    Always under revision to make it better.

Wow. I really need to start developing my own cgs... hmm... I already have an idea

I really think a projector with dome would require lots of space. Not fit for a trailer... a goggle with HT would provide a better solution I think. But a projector on a wide fov screen is interesting too. Very interesting! I'm definitely going to think this out and maybe build something myself...
    Cheers,
    Sven
    Quote Originally Posted by c5galaxy engineer View Post
    Zee is wrong, Grasshopper is ALWAYS right!

Airtruksrus trailer ground station buildup

I was wondering if one of these could help with fov? http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...oducts_id=1572

Interesting thing! It doesn't provide a bigger fov or anything though, only a 3d image. Probably something to stay away from since we're set on using a single "screen" of some sorts... but certainly looking interesting!
    Cheers,
    Sven

Plus it would only work with goggles capable of generating 2 different images from two separate sources. It requires 2 VTX's and 2 VRX's to take full advantage. It just wouldn't be practical in this application since, like Reliku said, only one screen is being used........for now.
    Brett Hays
    JosephOregon.com

BTW Reliku.........any ground work on your CGS yet??
    Brett Hays
    JosephOregon.com

very cool!

Merely thinking-work. I'm currently stuck with an introduction-week at the university so I don't really have much time. The basic to do list however is about:

-a box to build it in
    -a chair, comfortable and cockpit-like
    -a controls system, probably only on the four primary flight controls though.
    -a screen / projector / big tv (or maybe I'll just put the goggles on in flight, my f16 has a scale cockpit anyway)
    -a backup screen (seems to be important )

As for the box, I'm not sure yet. I'll probably just DIY one out of wood.
    As for a chair, I've been thinking about using an used car seat. Lots of comfort and probably not too expensive
    As for the controls, there are many interesting systems to use and what not. Personally however, I wanted to go REALLY simple. How? well... I was thinking of buying a turnigy 9x (mode 2). Disassemble it and move the pots to the desired locations and simply replace the right stick with a big flight stick (no joystick for me, a REAL stick! ), add a throttle lever to the throttle pot and figure something out to make the rudder pot move with the pedals. Simply put the tx module plug/box/location (the thing you put the (LRS) module in) somewhere you can reach it (preferably outside and on top for maximum reception), and move the screen and buttons to a nice spot on the dashboard. All the wiring can be kept out of sight, and I think it'll be a very easy way of creating such a system without having to buy specific hardware. I'm but a poor student after all, everything that can be DIY'ed is DIY'ed
    As for the screen/projector, I honestly think that's the best option, but I'm not yet sure how. As I've said, I might as well use the goggles since my f16 has a scale cockpit anyway.
    A backup screen will be put in the dashboard. As for the video input/power, I think an external plug so you can plug an external vrx/lipo into the device to make it work. Would keep it really plug & play.

As for transportation, I don't have a car. Not even a driver licence in fact. And I've never made a trailer before (why would I lol), but I know people who do. Still have to get someone crazy enough to move it around for me though if I were to make it transportable. One of the main drawbacks for me.

I don't know when I'll start to get into any "real" building. I've seriously got too much projects on my hands haha. But well, I'll manage to squeeze it in
    Plenty of time this winter I guess! If I put my back into it I can get such a thing working before flying-season next year. I mean, outdoor flying season next year

Either way, still miles away, but I'm seriously thinking about just doing it
    Cheers,
    Sven

Page 3 of 107 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast