Page 2 of 107 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: Airtruksrus trailer ground station buildup

There is what is called a ''short throw'' projector that generates a very large picture for a given distance. The best I have seen the ''cheapo'' ones is about a 45'' diagonal screen for about a 5 foot distance. This is a guesstimate cause I haven't looked at them in a while but those were the dimensions I was working with and i did find projectors that would work. Look on ebay.....there are great deals there. The short throw projectors are of course more expensive.....
    Brett Hays
    JosephOregon.com
    flitetest.com/articles/fpv-full-scale-cockpit-ground-station-w-42-tv

Navigator
    My biggest fear with the projector is the bulbs and focus, anyone hauled them around in a trailer without issue before?

Also I have yet to see a short throw projector not have noticeable distortion especially the more economical ones. They have always used cheaper lenses that will blur the edges.

Another question I have about the bubble "Screen" is how will the projector stay in focus usually they have about a 1-3" clear picture range so to keep the picture clear the curve of the surface could not exceed the acceptable out of focus depth?

Other than that its looking awesome! Cant wait to see it in person.

Arrow

@ Blackley......I agree with all your points actually. I have been hauling a 46'' LCD around in my trailer and it hasn't been doing it any good either. Between the dust and jarring it gets abused. The nice thing about a projector is that is could be easily removed and reinstalled for transport if that was a concern easier than a large TV.
    The short throw projector would work in this application if they are using a curved screen since the edges will be distorted anyway maybe. I only suggest it if throw distance is a problem for his. It wouldn't be in mine the way it is designed. I would like to try two projectors with two cameras and VTX's on the plane for a freakishly WIDE FOV in the cockpit. We talked about this quite a bit in my Cockpit Ground Station blog. I do think with some jackin around it could work. I know Scott would like this also thats another reason I would suggest a projector to begin with. It would be easier to just add another then to remove the TV and start allllll over. lol.

EDIT: When I was talking about the throw distances of the cheapo projectors I was talking about the standard throw projectors. The short throw projectors do much better than 45 inches @ 5 feet........wayyyyyy better. standard ones will get you what you need if you have about 5 feet to play with.
    Last edited by c5galaxy engineer; 24th August 2013 at 10:54 AM.
    Brett Hays
    JosephOregon.com
    flitetest.com/articles/fpv-full-scale-cockpit-ground-station-w-42-tv

I'm lookin, I'm lookin. This would probably benefit you later on Brett and could get the trailer outfitted from the start.

There's a couple of them for decent quality starting at around $550 on up to $1,000
    Last edited by airtruksrus; 24th August 2013 at 06:18 PM.
    KF7TSE

youtube.com/channel/UCzoOpmJK8_WOlBl65sZAfGw
    vimeo.com/airtruksrus/videos

Airtruksrus Cockpit Ground Station Systems.
    Open for business
    Always under revision to make it better.

Navigator
    So a single projector onto a screen that was a hemisphere cut in half and then evenly distributed to the following dimensions:

7 feet wide
    4 feet deep
    2.3 feet tall

and it should look something like this:

I will denote that edges of the screen are past the null zone of the projector (this is a hypothetical rendition) see below for a practical one.
    Last edited by Blackley1; 24th August 2013 at 06:58 PM.

Navigator
    This is a 3 screen eyefinity group (can be attained through other hardware means) but its driving 3x 42" TVs

Navigator
    This is a single 42" Screen

Navigator
    So here is the most realistic balancing realism with the objective of making a "wrap" around screen...

Sitting in it looks like this:

From the top:

The back side:

This screen is:

5 feet wide
    2.8 feet tall
    1.2 feet deep

Its mainly flat on the back to reduce distortion and out of focus from the projector... The problem is the projector *must* be at largest a 50 degree field of view and be 4 feet back from the screen... otherwise the screen is curved too much and the light will be occluded.
    Last edited by Blackley1; 24th August 2013 at 07:17 PM.

Navigator
    So again,

This is the most practical screen with approximated (real ish) distortion...

The higher the angle from the projector ray to the target the worse the distortion will be... simply:

The angles are kept the same but the further we go away the less distortion for the same curved screen we will get. Or something like that... Physics and I don't always get along.

In the images below the orange off to the side is the "projectors view" the screen physically each panel is about the same length but the projector as it gets toward the edges will distort.

Anyway with the projector sitting 3 feet from the back of the screen the distortion is going to be massive (I think its mapping 3 pixels to that whole area):

note: the wiggly lines are due to my projection being a bit off and its mapping the pixels that way (ignore them)

This projection is from 4 feet away personally its still quite bad.

This next projection is from 7 feet away and we are getting much better:

Here is the projection from 12 feet away notice how the edges on the "projector view" are well separated and the distortion is at a minimum. This is the best but not quite practical for a trailer

Keep something in mind. Wide FoV means you're not really going to be looking at the 'blurry' edges. I like the ideas you've drawn up here. It's probably best to use such a curved screen instead of a dome. Unless the dome is really big I suppose. I'm really talking about a FoV of like 150 degrees though

I like those ideas. 12ft would indeed be slightly unpractical. So you'd have to compromise. But you're not really going to look at the edges most of the time I reckon. Ideally the blurry area is only the corner of your eye

Your "physics" are right by the way. More distance = less disortion because the individual distances are relatively less different.
    Last edited by Reliku; 25th August 2013 at 07:55 AM.
    Cheers,
    Sven
    Quote Originally Posted by c5galaxy engineer View Post
    Zee is wrong, Grasshopper is ALWAYS right!

Page 2 of 107 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast