Page 1 of 107 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Airtruksrus trailer ground station buildup

Airtruksrus trailer ground station buildup

Update: the article that summarizes all that has been worked on up to Sept 2014 is posted on the Flitetest site - http://flitetest.com/articles/scott-...tation-for-fpv

Provides quite a bit of insight but reading all the posts to date feels like reading a novel.

Sooooooo......

After being fully immersed in C5 Galaxy's trailer fpv setup, very hands on and getting the true feeling of flying in a small lightweight experimental aircraft, couldn't resist looking for a small trailer that could also double as a flight simulator in addition to a comfortable Fpv ground station. Portable stations are great but mine has had to be redesigned with the vast array of new antennas to make accommodations for.

Was able to work out a great deal with the inlaws, just had to haul it home from Idaho and get to work on it.

So far it's just getting the door openings changed from the bottom to the top to allow entering a little easier.

Still going to need a bit of work, the frame needs some corrosion work and adding a set of shocks after experiencing the full speed of the trailer at 60 mph before starting to fishtail.

Was looking at how using diamond plate to dress it up a bit after extending the nose to make enough room for the 40 to 42" LCD or led flat screen for the maximum effect. There's two storage compartments at the back that will hold all the computer equipment, peripherals, inverters and a couple deep cycle marine batteries. The location of the receivers and antennas will be placed as the inside is constructed when the instrument panel and seat are installed.

Already have a couple other people that want to lend a hand in getting this together, mostly to share in getting the same super immersive feeling as well.
    Last edited by airtruksrus; 27th September 2014 at 10:58 AM.
    KF7TSE

youtube.com/channel/UCzoOpmJK8_WOlBl65sZAfGw
    vimeo.com/airtruksrus/videos

Airtruksrus Cockpit Ground Station Systems.
    Open for business
    Always under revision to make it better.

Okay Scott.....I will allow you to proceed but you are NOT allowed to out do my cockpit. If you do then I will have to rebuild mine and that will cost you a lot of money because I figure it would only be fair that you should have to pay for it......LMAO.

Seriously.....DUDE!!!!!! that trailer is perfect!!!!!! Let me know if I can help out. I am super excited about watching this develop and then flying formation with them.....YEEEEEHAWWWWW!!!!

BTW, if I had to do it again I think I would give a projector a lot more thought than a LCD screen. I think it would be a bit more versatile and you would be happier with the performance of the visuals. Also IMHO a separate and completely self contained backup monitor on a isolated circuit is mandatory......but I think you already realized that.....lol.

Giterdun

B
    Brett Hays
    JosephOregon.com
    flitetest.com/articles/fpv-full-scale-cockpit-ground-station-w-42-tv

I have been staring at these pics for a while now.......I got my ideas.....cant wait to see what you come up with!!
    Brett Hays
    JosephOregon.com

Projection screen eh? Could have alot more potential in making a far more versatile screen out the front. Working up the details and tallying up the cost, have to put it together a piece at a time but getting the wiring laid out will be great if it can be routed outside the box and covered up with the plate. Thought about the catapult launch off the top or just keep it for the antenna stand.
    KF7TSE

Open for business

Kudos if you build a catapult launcher on top. That would be just about the perfect ground station.

Brett's title of BITKU (Best In The Known Universe) is at risk......

Will be interested to see how this turns out!
    Cheers,
    Sven
    Quote Originally Posted by c5galaxy engineer View Post
    Zee is wrong, Grasshopper is ALWAYS right!

BITKU is mine........MINE I say!!
    Brett Hays
    JosephOregon.com

Dont really see any other way around it, now i have to accomodate a rail for the launcher. Brett, if this can be finished up during the winter and ready for spring, have to make sure we have an fpv meet around your area so we can do the formation flying. After seeing all you did with the quadcopter, I really want to do that around here.

Just got to looking at projection options, man the projectors came way down in price and all i'd need for the front is the screen. Give it some depth by curving it slightly.
    Last edited by airtruksrus; 23rd August 2013 at 04:11 PM.
    KF7TSE

Open for business

The wider (and the more curved) your screen is, the better it will be to see distance too with a high fov camera. The ideal option would be a circular screen, in like half a circle. If it were possible to project the image on that.... You'd have an amazing immersive experience.

*lightbulb*

I just got an amazing idea. If you put a projector in the front facing backwards, and make a semi-transparent screen in a circular pattern around you (your cockpit, your head), and have the projector project on that (make sure you mirror the image!), I think you can create a very compact yet very immersive picture. Combine it of course with a high fov camera matching the "fov" of the circle-screen. No messing around with projectors behind you, but I think VERY immersive.

YES. Brett's BITKU is definitely at stake here. I might even build a cockpit myself! God I love you guys! (I'm gonna draw this out I think... )
    Cheers,
    Sven

With curvature like that, wouldn't have any need to add the monitors in the doors. Only using them for the flight sim mode. As for the projector location, there's enough room overhead to put one, just need to find one that has a wide display option. My father in law works in supply and acquisitions at an air transportation company, said his boss would be able to get some old cockpit artifacts from a few recycled aircraft. Still think Brett put some awesome effects into getting his to have all the realism as soon as you took control.

As long of endurance as the Techpod has, this should be a very relaxing way to spend over an hour.
    KF7TSE

Open for business

Exactly. One screen will do like that
    Cheers,
    Sven

Page 1 of 107 1231151101 ... LastLast