Page 3 of 75 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: Are you a HAM?

NVFPV
    KJ6RWK
    Napa, Ca

Passed the exam with flying colors thanks to:
    http://www.hamwhisperer.com/p/ham-courses.html
    BTW its Free

I got my Technician license when I was 11 and General when I was 13. I was really into it for a while and talked on 2 meter repeaters all the time and did some HF DXing for a while too. I eventually got bored with it late in high school and haven't actually talked on a ham radio since starting college. I've been gradually selling off my more valuable ham equipment, and most recently sold my 2 meter mobile rig to help fund FPV. But I've kept my license renewed, and since I'm flying FPV using the ham frequency on the 1.3ghz band, I put stickers on the wings of my plane with my callsign to keep it legal. KC0EDH.

Navigator
    I have my callsign entered into EzOSD which flashes it on the screen routinely (every minute I believe). Very handy.
    I also have it on the wing, near the transmitter.

Quote Originally Posted by prelator View Post
    I got my Technician license when I was 11 and General when I was 13. I was really into it for a while and talked on 2 meter repeaters all the time and did some HF DXing for a while too. I eventually got bored with it late in high school and haven't actually talked on a ham radio since starting college. I've been gradually selling off my more valuable ham equipment, and most recently sold my 2 meter mobile rig to help fund FPV. But I've kept my license renewed, and since I'm flying FPV using the ham frequency on the 1.3ghz band, I put stickers on the wings of my plane with my callsign to keep it legal. KC0EDH.

Can anyone summarize what you can do with a ham license in terms of extra power and frequencies, vs without, in the US?

Engineer for Jesus Christ IBCrazy's Avatar
    With HAM:

Power level maximum: 5 Watts (Most bands)
    Available frequencies: 433MHz, 910MHz, 1240-1300MHz, 2300-2310MHz, 2390-2450MHz, 3300-3500MHz, 5625-5925MHz

Without HAM:

Maximum power level: 10mW (2.4GHz), 25mW (5.8GHz)
    Available frequencies: 2410-2450MHz, 5625-5925MHz

I think that pretty well explains it

-Alex
    If it is broken, fix it. if it isn't broken, I'll soon fix that.

videoaerialsystems.com - Performance video piloting

Let your perspective soar
    I'm curious too. I started studying for the technician's level, and it doesn't seem like there's a lot of valuable information there. "what's this component in this schematic? oh it's a diode." It seems more like a hoop to jump through than a set of core practical knowledge. What I want to know is what is the max power that I can legally transmit 433HMz, and if I do make money using wireless, what's the next step up from HAM? From what I'm learning, I may only accept money in exchange for services operating my 'station' if it's in the service of an educational institution. And what does the H in HAM stand for? Instead I'm learning about 'spin fading' in satellite communications.

I make a living using my wireless ethernet, and it broadcasts on an open frequency. I should be able to make money using my wireless link to my aircraft too. I'm afraid if I do start using an amateur service frequency, I'll be more restricted than I am with my WiFi.
    So... maybe the only thing amateur about HAM is that the people don't try to re-license any bandwidth and sell wireless services.

I'm sure the HAM rules are well intentioned, but taken literally, they seem like a mess... at least I can't translate words like 'station' to something that applies to the context of FPV.

Co-Pilot
    KD0HVM - Since 2009. I have done a little mobile comms with the local repeater, but mostly got my ticket for FPV.

I have also played around with EchoLink on PC and iPad.
    Last edited by durangoflyer; 27th October 2011 at 09:57 AM.

jimmapelsong - I don't think FPV was exactly the kind of thing that rule is targeted at. That was more about traditional radio operators being paid to operate their station -- i.e. send messages via regular two-way radio. Depending on exactly how the rule is worded, you might be able to argue you are not being paid to operate your "station" but to fly your plane and take aerial pictures/video. Operating the station merely facilitates that. No idea if that argument would hold up in court or not, but it's at least plausible. In reality, I doubt the FCC would care about people using ham radio frequencies to control RC planes flown for profit. The FAA would be far more likely to worry about that than the FCC.

If the government even thinks you are making any money from it, they'll
    just have to get their noses into it. ie: regulations/taxes/fees/permits.

Yup...
    Land of the 'free' and taxed every way..

Do you know why the FCC is required by law to have your SSN if you are licensed? Implementing fines.

Page 3 of 75 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast