View Poll Results: Are you a HAM

Voters
704. You may not vote on this poll
Page 2 of 75 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: Are you a HAM?

^ I was eating a Ham-burger when I read your post.
    "I Like Waffles" : FPVLab on Facebook and FPVLab on Twitter

FPV killed my bank account

Laurel, MD between Washington D.C. / Baltimore
    I don't eat ham or much meat at all...but I do eat a soy substitute called "WHAM". When it's fried its Faken Bacon.
    KC8UD - for over 35 years - used to be active in amateur television on 434 Mhz and 1.3 GHZ
    Airplanes LIKE to fly : Helicopters WANT to kill you.

Found a good site for ham license prep

I'm taking my ham test this weekend and I thought it might be worth telling you about the software I looked at to help study for the tests. I tried every website I could find as well as several iPhone apps.

For the most part they all fall into the digital-flash card model where there is a study mode where they show you questions with right answers followed by a test mode where you take practice tests. Some sites have better statistics than others and various other training aids that test you more on what you aren't doing well on. As far as I could tell they were largely interchangeable and didn't do much more than help you memorize quesition/answers rather than learn the material.

I found this site (https://hamstudy.org/) and it is hands down the best I've found (no I have NOTHING to do with them). It's very well setup for all three tests (tech, general, extra).

I liked the study mode on this site that is a combination of study and test taking, you need to try it to see it. The idea is that you are given question/answer/explanations mixed in with test questions. When he's shown you a study question it will show up shortly as a real question. Seems weird but I found it more effective than the 'take a bunch of tests till you get 80%' method I did on the other sites and iphone apps.

What differentiates the site is that every question on the general and most of the questions on the tech have detailed explanations with links...and it is a wiki so if you want to add or correct you can. It is very useful since the explanations are written by hams and there are lots of little study aids and rules of thumb. For example what is the symbol for an NPN transistor? Just remember the arrow is (N)ot (P)ointing i(N). On the math problems they are worked out, the regulations link to good sites and the technical stuff all goes to Wikipedia. When answers are tricky, the rational is explained.

The cons for the site is that it seems a bit slow sometimes and that the tech test only has 70% of the detailed answers filled in.

But hey it's free!

For those of you looking into taking your ham tests I think this is the best way to go. If for some reason you don't like this site this was my favorite "flashcard" site: http://www.hamtestonline.com.
    Last edited by Hucker; 19th October 2011 at 05:43 PM. Reason: Clarified text

could quit if I wanted to volto's Avatar
    That's the one I used, Hucker. Hamstudy.org. Only missed one on the exam. Or was it two.... I forget.
    Don't steal, the government hates competition.

KK7KR

Navigator
    Not Flying yet but got the Ticket. AK4KY

its missing the obligatory "no, im vegetarian"

It's in my screen name.

Nope. I'm a maverick renegade who plays by my own rules, nobody elses - not even my own!

Page 2 of 75 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast