View Poll Results: Are you a HAM

Voters
704. You may not vote on this poll
Page 62 of 75 FirstFirst ... 1252606162636472 ... LastLast

Thread: Are you a HAM?

Forum Member
    Got my tech back in 2013, up grade to general this past summer. Got them with no intentions for FPV, as that wasn't in the books for stuff to do.

I was signal during my stint in the Army and radio commo has always been something that intrigues me.

But FPV came along so....

Forum Member

Commercial FPV and Radio Bands

Having had a ham ticket for 40 years I recall that one of the main rules is that Ham bands can't be used for commercial purposes.

With the FAA coming up with rules for commercial UASs, I'm curious what's going to happen for commercial FPV. I believe RC bands can probably be dual-use, commercial and hobby, but don't think the bands that FPVers use for video can be.

Anyone know what the rules are?

Are the commercial video bands the commercial users could use and is there gear available?

I'm thinking of a commercial operator bought a turn key rig like a DJI and it were set up with video on a ham band, it would be illegal to operator.

-l2t
    Ken K. (learn2turn)
    AMA 221562
    KB1YMZ

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by learn2turn View Post
    With the FAA coming up with rules for commercial UASs, I'm curious what's going to happen for commercial FPV. I believe RC bands can probably be dual-use, commercial and hobby, but don't think the bands that FPVers use for video can be.

RC bands can be used for commercial use if the equipment is Part 15 compliant otherwise it would be a violation of FCC regulations to use frequencies that are designated for primary Amateur use.

The alternative would be to license the video and control operations under FCC Part 90.

Are the commercial video bands the commercial users could use and is there gear available?

Yes and yes.

Wayne
    Everybody loves a bunny.

Forum Member
    I'm planning on it-- current Multirotor will have a 433mHz radio Whatever the future of R/C, it's prolly be a good idea to move away from the 2.4 gig "cell-phone band"...

The completed FPV Quad is months down the road, so I'm chipping away at the amateur license bit by bit. Years ago as a kid I dabbled, and I don't recall if I got my ticket and let it lapse or if I just intended to some day...

--Bill

Forum Member
    Newly minted Tech KG7RQO

Forum Member
    Yes, Extra here. That and I like to be on-stage... Double ham [rim shot]

Forum Member
    Just noticed this thread!

VK4GHZ

Fitst licensed in 1980 as a no-code VHF and above.
    Upgraded to Advanced level in 1992 when I passed the CW. HF got boring within 2 years.

Got 6m DXCC in 2003, got bored with that, and then got interested in the microwave bands in 2011. (Those in the know will notice that reference in my user nic.)

That got too fuddy duddy, and discovered multirotors not quite 12 months ago.

Best thing ever :-)
    Last edited by Jindalee10368; 26th April 2015 at 09:28 AM.

Forum Member
    K4PST- long ago while at OSU..

Forum Member

Ham Yes

Hi Dan from Florida quad racing floridaquadracing.com

N4BUG

known as the Big Ugly Goon.... or just the BUG

Had General ever since 1975? Remember when Code was required?

just new at Quads. Still trying to get GPS Hold and RTH to work. Also trying to get a chapter of MultiGP going here in Ocala, Fl.

73's

Forum Member
    I've been thinking about using my quad to help me when i do sota activations. Somehow id like to attach an antenna to it to help place my antenna high into a tree. Any thoughts?
    "They glanced up and saw Icarus float through the sky, and taking him for a god, They stood still in wonder."

Page 62 of 75 FirstFirst ... 1252606162636472 ... LastLast