FPVLAB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Long Range RC and FPV Video link - anyone ever go back to short range?

Arrow Long Range RC and FPV Video link - anyone ever go back to short range?

Does anyone ever upgrade their kit to long range (e.g. EzUHF RC, and 2.4 for the video from 2.4 RC and 5.8 for the video appears to be the typical upgrade path), and then decide to go back to the 5.8 setup, even temporarily?

I can see the main disadvantage of long range is the cost, but I am assuming that once you have paid out there would be no point in ever turning back? Or am I missing something, are there other disadvantages to Long Range?

I am flying a quad if that makes any difference and annoyed about losing the 5.8 video link behind trees all the time so considering upgrading.

Co-Pilot
    Well I intend to keep my 5.8Ghz system because there are many times when it's more than enough range and you want to cut down on your traveling weight. Large 1.2ghz antenna's aren't as easy to travel with.

So if you want to keep your fatsharks with integrated receiver for a truly grab and go setup.... then the 5.8ghz is the way to go.

I use 5.8 for my tricopter but 2.4 for my quad. The tricopter is a camera ship so I generally take it places and don't want to lug around a big ground station. That is really the advantage of 5.8 and fatshark integrated receivers. I use UHF for everything now though, no point in risking the control link

Well, I think there are two aspects to the question:
    a) once you've got LR gear, do you switch to short range gear -> No... LR gear is more reliable, so why would you
    b) once you've got LR gear, do you find you mainly fly short range -> Yup, its just more fun flying low and fast...

But, what I've found is that its always useful to have a 5.8 setup to use on side projects. I use a set for micro FPV with a ladybird quad and the same set gets transferred to my FPV hoverboat...

I'm more of the mindset that you pick a frequency that works and adjust the power settings to fit your needs.

200mw for short range, Multi-rotor, testing ai rcraft. Doesn't overheat as bad.

500mw for long range. Fixed wing so it cools.
    "Truly superior pilots are those who use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills"- Author unknown

KF7TRX

Co-Pilot
    I got back into 5.8ghz video this spring when I put together several micro/nano plane and quadcopter projects so I could fly right from my back yard. I went from flying once every other week or so to 4-5 times a week without having to pack up my Penguin, 1258 ground station, etc and drive 30+ mins to a location where I could operate it. The main limitations for me are lighting conditions in the evening for the 3 grams CMOS cameras and unpredictable gusty winds.

Navigator
    Do people get all the way to having a long range machine and not have something a little less "serious" around to play with from time to time?

Co-Pilot
    I prefer to have one LRS capable plane that can handle some wind and some distance for days when I can "go" flying or to a meet and then have simple goggle or micro gear that I can take camping or fly at my house. Both are fun in their own way. I need both to feed my desire to fly!

Thanks for all your replies.

This sounds promising to me : "b) once you've got LR gear, do you find you mainly fly short range -> Yup, its just more fun flying low and fast...",

I am basically looking for how to get the very best out of every flying experience. I am hoping that the LR kit will improve the short range flying, particularly as there are often trees in the way for me. I have very little access to open sites. Most of them are smallish open spaces surrounded by high trees - bit like flying out of the bottom of a bowl. Hoping the LR kit will improve on the situation. Not totally sure how good the 2.4 video link is particularly when it comes to trees and so on. Does it generally work still if a tree is in between you? One of the websites was saying that it still needs to be LOS.

Also wondering what to do with the 5.8 gear if i move on - maybe sell it to fund the other gear, though not sure if there is much of a second hand market

2.4 worked flawlessly behind a couple of trees.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast