Thread: QAV500 Gimbal Upgrade kit Controller ?

Navigator

QAV500 Gimbal Upgrade kit Controller ?

Hi all,
    First, please excuse me if this has been asked and answered elsewhere. I have skimmed the threads and posts but came up empty and I am short on time.

I received my kit and in process of building it, all is well. So far my QAV is built right to Mfg. recommended specs & components. I would like to keep the trend going and go with the recommended Alex Mos Controller for the Gimbal.
    My question is concerning the mounting of the IMU, I was curious if the Alex Mos IMU is the only one that will fit that mount? and where is the "recommended" place to get one of these controllers?

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

acftmx

aka Tiger

Quote Originally Posted by acftmx View Post
    Hi all,
    First, please excuse me if this has been asked and answered elsewhere. I have skimmed the threads and posts but came up empty and I am short on time.

I received my kit and in process of building it, all is well. So far my QAV is built right to Mfg. recommended specs & components. I would like to keep the trend going and go with the recommended Alex Mos Controller for the Gimbal.
    My question is concerning the mounting of the IMU, I was curious if the Alex Mos IMU is the only one that will fit that mount? and where is the "recommended" place to get one of these controllers?

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

acftmx

aka Tiger
    Producers of the AlexMos board have different sizes for the IMU. I've sized the IMU case for the http://flyduino.net/ version of the AlexMos board. Lumenier will also soon be releasing an AlexMos board, which will have the IMU sized to fit into the IMU case. This board is still about 3 weeks away though.

Navigator
    The latest version of the Flyduino IMU does not fit in the case without modification. They have put a socket on the board and now supply a double ended cable so the is no longer any soldering to do. Unfortunately this socket is mounted a few mm to the right so it does not line up with the gap on the case and the socket sticks up a few mm above the board so the the case lid will not fit.
    Fortunately I have two boards (old and new) so I'm using the old version.

I'll post some pics tomorrow.

Navigator
    Thanks Tim & Simon!
    As I am in no hurry I think I can wait for the Lumenier version of the Controller I am waiting for the Lumenier Lipo anyway. I am patient I have had my QAV for close to a year and built RTF for approximately 6 months and have yet to power it up. I will admit I am becoming more anxious all the time. My next project is converting to a full 540G

Tiger

Navigator
    Right a few photo's...

This shows the old version (soldered wires) and the new (socket). Note - they are actually the same size. It's a trick of the camera that makes one look larger. Note also that the one with the socket also has the tags if you want to solder the cable.

This shows the original sensor in the housing. Note the graphic that shows orientation.

The new sensor in the same orientation. Note that the socket in this position would require the right side of the case to be modified (and the lid - see below).

It is possible, using the GUI to change the orientation of the sensor. You will see however that the case will also require modifying to access the socket and the socket sits proud so the lid (or the housing) will require modification. An alternative is to (carefully!) unsolder the socket from the board and solder the wires. Don't blame me if it goes wrong!

The latest sensors come with a cable that is red/blue/green/black. If you are soldering your wires and following the picture above, the blue replaces the yellow.

Navigator

Thanks Simon! Great Info and Photos

I appreciate the help!

Tiger

Thanks for the pics!

Navigator

Tim will an IMU still be available that fits the case?

Or will a new case be available for the new style of IMU?

Thanks