FPVLAB

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: FPV Wiki

Forum Member
    Totally agree, Wikis are cool! But I also have to say that getting FPV rigs to undertrained people is just begging for accidents and potentially bad press. I only say this since I see so many people who just want a plane to fly, they don't care about the freqs, safety, or what those before them have had success and failures on... they don't care about forums and just want to get into the air.

I guess, I'm just wondering if there is a way to make the Wiki so it's not a list of what to buy, rather concise study material without all the commentary that goes on as the forums progress. But, I also agree that bad folks are going to do bad, we just gotta keep an eye out for them... but to me it's the dummies we want to avoid helping. We should not make "FPV for Dummies".

So after all the negative flow there... I'm down to help.
    Last edited by CaliDave; 11th October 2011 at 01:30 AM.

Forum Member
    http://fpvwiki.wikispaces.com/

What do you guys think?

edit: I made it public for now, no login required to edit pages, only to create page

edit: I think that the wiki would look better if it was run on its own domain and using the media wiki format.
    Last edited by PilotKeeg; 11th October 2011 at 02:38 AM.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PilotKeeg View Post
    http://fpvwiki.wikispaces.com/

What do you guys think?

Just make a login to start creating content. Please make some pages, little by little we can do this

edit: I made it public for now, no login required to edit pages, only to create pages

If the wiki becomes more complete, I can buy our own domain name: fpvwiki.com

If someone really feels the need and they have a server to run it on, we could use a mediawiki template (Wikipedia look)instead. However, this site is already up and running and really shouldn't need any maintenance or oversight.
    How about making the Wiki an integrated part of FPVLab, or is that the idea already? That way we have all the goodness of FPV wrapped into one tasty package.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Moelich73 View Post
    How about making the Wiki an integrated part of FPVLab, or is that the idea already? That way we have all the goodness of FPV wrapped into one tasty package.
    I think that the wiki would be more effective if it was a standalone resource, not connected with any particular person or website. That way people might feel more inclined to read first and then, once they have reached a certain level of experience, they can come and further their knowledge and have fun.

Forum Member
    Information is not dangerous, people are dangerous. I think the wiki should be part of the forum for a couple of reasons; for one, we can use our forum accounts to edit pages so it's not just any anonymous person making changes. Second, we might be able to set it up so only users with over a certain number of posts can edit/create pages. Perhaps 25 posts, users would be put into a specific group that has permissions for editing the wiki. There is a mediawiki integration (plugin) for vBulletin so it shouldn't be too difficult.
    Don't steal, the government hates competition.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by volto View Post
    Information is not dangerous, people are dangerous. I think the wiki should be part of the forum for a couple of reasons; for one, we can use our forum accounts to edit pages so it's not just any anonymous person making changes. Second, we might be able to set it up so only users with over a certain number of posts can edit/create pages. Perhaps 25 posts, users would be put into a specific group that has permissions for editing the wiki. There is a mediawiki integration (plugin) for vBulletin so it shouldn't be too difficult.
    I agree with making it with media wiki, the one I set up for testing just doesn't look right

I don't think however that the wiki should be affiliated with FPVlabs or any other forum. It think it should be a stand alone resource so that it is used by users of all forums.

Forum Member
    Also agreed there should be some control over who's posting and people should be logged in.

Another suggestion is organizing some groups so there are sub pages and not a ton of pages in the main navigation... maybe:

"Safety"
    "How to be successful" - Setting realistic goals, modifications maybe
    "Airframes" - Commercial and scratch built models
    "Ground Vehicles" - Commercial and scratch built models
    "Components" - Antenna, Cameras, Transmitters, Receivers, etc.
    "People" - FPV specific people
    "Teams" - FPV groups or teams
    "Vendors" - Description of vendor and location (not to commercial feeling)
    "Regions" - Linking to local meet threads, noting flight locations, etc.
    "Links"

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CaliDave View Post
    Also agreed there should be some control over who's posting and people should be logged in.

Another suggestion is organizing some groups so there are sub pages and not a ton of pages in the main navigation... maybe:

"Safety"
    "How to be successful" - Setting realistic goals, modifications maybe
    "Airframes" - Commercial and scratch built models
    "Ground Vehicles" - Commercial and scratch built models
    "Components" - Antenna, Cameras, Transmitters, Receivers, etc.
    "People" - FPV specific people
    "Teams" - FPV groups or teams
    "Vendors" - Description of vendor and location (not to commercial feeling)
    "Regions" - Linking to local meet threads, noting flight locations, etc.
    "Links"
    I definetly agree with some sort of grouping, it just has to keep the feel of a wiki with individual pages that are linked together. This attempt failed because it is just a simple list of components and definitions, its not at the depth of a wiki.

I got pretty familiar with the organization of wikipedia by playing wikigame, where you navigate between two totally different pages using only the links. You should try it, its really fun

Forum Member
    I think your Wiki is a good start. I added stuff and will add more, spread the link and it will grow on its own. If it gets out of hand then increase moderation. When the time comes I'm sure either SENTRY will start another here and we can transfer the info. Whatever happens there's no harm in typing info!

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vitamin J View Post
    I think your Wiki is a good start. I added stuff and will add more, spread the link and it will grow on its own. If it gets out of hand then increase moderation. When the time comes I'm sure either SENTRY will start another here and we can transfer the info. Whatever happens there's no harm in typing info!
    I guess your're right, its always easier to copy content than create it, I'll keep improving the existing one

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast