Thread: Protective Shielding

Navigator

Protective Shielding

It would be great to see some optional protective shielding for the 2.4 and 5.8 SPW antennas. These are some of the best SPW antennas on the market, and they also cost significantly more than others. It would be nice to be able to protect them a little bit better in both crashes and when putting them inside the ground station box etc.

Just some feedback, love the antennas just trying to protect my purchase so it lasts longer.

For the SPW58 I developed this some time ago for an industrial customer:

Being 3D printed it is somewhat expensive, and we are not big enough nor we sell as many units as IRC to afford the mould investment for doing it in injected plastic.

BUT, I have seen damaged SPW12 (the biggest one, 1.2GHz version), but never a SPW58. They are so small that this makes them quite strong. I would bet that if you damage the antenna in a crash the antenna itself would be your smallest concern, as your airframe would be totally destroyed.

If you really feel the need to protect it, boopidoo was developing a nice radome for the 5.8 and 1.2GHz versions:

http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread....or-3d-printing

Navigator
    Thanks Sircana, even if the airframe is destroyed it's 1 less item I need to repurchase
    It's more for the ground station and the SPW on the goggles. Both with the potential to be knocked over, blown over, being packed away etc tightly. I'm just looking at ways to increase the longevity of the more fragile components.

Quote Originally Posted by sircana View Post
    Being 3D printed it is somewhat expensive, and we are not big enough nor we sell as many units as IRC to afford the mould investment for doing it in injected plastic.
    One day you may just reach there in volume

Re: Protective Shielding

Blue beam cloverleafs are crazy strong. Just ask IBcrazy, he bends them up all the time! Of course if you buy cheap you get cheap.

Instructor Pilot

Protective Shielding

BUT, I have seen damaged SPW12 (the biggest one, 1.2GHz version), but never a SPW58. They are so small that this makes them quite strong. I would bet that if you damage the antenna in a crash the antenna itself would be your smallest concern, as your airframe would be totally destroyed.
    I've smooshed one and lost another in the middle of a very large field...

Tragic when you think how beautiful they were

Navigator
    For the SPW58 I developed this some time ago for an industrial customer:

If you really feel the need to protect it, boopidoo was developing a nice radome for the 5.8 and 1.2GHz versions:

http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread....or-3d-printing
    Looks great....shame there isn't enough demand as I'd buy one straight away but like you say the SPW58 is pretty robust as it is!

My SPW fell 150' through maple trees, the sound of the crash was horrendous bone breaking.

Not a scratch on the SPW though...and IBCrazy bluebeams are strong as well, survived hitting a cow..
    "Truly superior pilots are those who use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills"- Author unknown

KF7TRX

Navigator
    I wonder if the cow is a fan of bluebeams?

these shields are so thick and durable... seems useful....
    all pokies online

Last edited by williamsmith; 22nd September 2014 at 12:27 AM.