Page 5 of 43 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: DJI NAZA - Fly Aways?

DJI NAZA - Fly Aways?

Quote Originally Posted by chatch View Post
    i'll give you 'bout tree fiddy
    Thanks funny.

Quote Originally Posted by ssassen View Post
    I have one possible cause for these fly-aways, something I'm ashamed to say happened to us when testing our XuGong.

The double sided sticker holding the GPS somehow worked itself loose during flight (due to being heated out in the sun?) which caused the GPS to slightly twist and angle down. The quad as a result flew off in the opposite direction trying to compensate for what it thought was the wrong direction.

Why the undoubtedly bright engineers at Dji didn't think of this is beyond me, as the fix is simple, GPS will also give you course and heading, and can be used to correct the compass if it is off for whatever reason. So Dji, there's your $2K worth of free consulting to improve on your products!

So gentlemen, be sure to check and make sure that your GPS is mounted properly!
    Had something similar happen. This has worked great to protect my GPS from coming loose http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...oducts_id=1143

Sucks to have any fly away, and clearly a number of reasons for this, but I wonder how many who have fly aways have ever really setup RTH on their craft, how many flew before they had full sat lock, how many tested RTH on that flight before problems arose, how many went into failsafe and the RTH was engaged flying up to 60' and they thought it was a fly away.

I'm not saying there couldn't be some issue with the firmware but it's funny to me when these threads pop off and all of the sudden a lot of less than scientific experience becomes fact. Sander seemed to have the most concrete understanding of a legitimate way for there to be a fly away past just firmware demons, and a pretty reasonable analysis of a way that could happen, and account for a fly away as the system is confused.

I suppose the thoughts that out of the gates there was something wrong with the one Trappy flew was reasonable as well, but for the others, it's so hard to say as there's no control (sorry for the pun) on when their system had issues and from what... or maybe it was simply electronic freakout for a second?

Of course I just don't know in this case as my Naza's not done that before in the few years I've flow the V1 model on 2 setups (2 systems). As someone else pointed out with all the Naza's out there this seems to be an infinitely small group of people who've had these issues, and probably more who perpetuate the fear than it's actually happened to.

CHatch, I know your position. You're actually the first one I think of when I see the word Naza in a title.
    EchelonFPV - Team Based FPV & Formation Flying
    GroundStationTV - FPV Build/Tech Info and Entertainment
    TonkaSummit - The Best Ground Vehicle in FPV!

Anyone have issues with altitude hold after the 3.x updates? I did it last week (before I read about any issues with fly aways..) and my F450 seems to randomly drop about 1 meter in altitude maybe once or twice per battery pack. I only noticed it when hovering I know it wasn't me cause the LED was flashing once to indicate sticks in center. Never did this with the old firmware guess I should roll back?

Wholly Crap ! I just got NAZA V2 w GPS ... this scares me ... I dont want to loose $1100 Plus dollars !

Navigator

DJI NAZA - Fly Aways?

This is scary to me as I'm on the edge of getting a new Disco. I'm new to the quad game so I was thinking of the Naza as the best option for a n00b quad pilot. Time to reevaluate.

Quote Originally Posted by jmisuraca View Post
    This is scary to me as I'm on the edge of getting a new Disco. I'm new to the quad game so I was thinking of the Naza as the best option for a n00b quad pilot. Time to reevaluate.
    the odds of it going crazy are slim. One use of the RTH and it will pay for itself. I have over 200 flights with zero problems other than a couple caused by me, ie hitting IOC by mistake or putting my GPS on backwards.

Navigator
    I just don't have that warm and fussy feeling about the Naza after reading the entire thread... Heck - My Mini Protos with and Ikon has over 500 hard flights and one crash... a servo wire got cut while in flight. I have that "trust" feeling with that bird. I'm sure you have that "Trust" feeling with your Naza. I am sitting here with all parts needed for the ship in my basket on one web site and every thing for my vRX in my basket on another web Site.

Ordered the KK2.0... Still may get the Naza tho.

Penguin flyerDisco buildr mike20sm's Avatar
    The double stick tape giving way and making the Naza loose as Sander describes is a very plausible culprit. Those that have had flyaways describe trying to steer it, hit RTH etc... but I don't hear much about just chopping the throttle and letting it drop from the sky, which would still be a possibility regardless of a loose Naza right?

Correction: I just reread Trappy's post on page one and he did try this.
    " I went to zero throttle immediately but it started to climb."
    Last edited by mike20sm; 17th July 2013 at 02:29 AM.

You cant chop the throttle, zero throttle turns into altitude hold, so at the very least the quad will hold altitude or at least try to do that until the motors are at max rpm. The issue is certainly not the GPS since those cant come loose on the phantoms. And one of the remains of the crash was the GPS puck neatly stuck to the cnc pod

Page 5 of 43 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast