Page 1 of 43 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: DJI NAZA - Fly Aways?

DJI NAZA - Fly Aways?

I have read other forums that have talked about NAZA - M Fly Away issues.

Has anyone experienced anything like this with a Discovery and any official thoughts on it by the TBS folks themselves?

All the best...

First time I hit RTH during test flights mine wanted to fly away, but I was prepared for it and switched it off and took control back immediately. I had to do the calibration dance 3 times and let the GPS get set for 60 seconds after it locked enough Sats for a good position lock. After that it worked fine for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by whakahere View Post
    I keep thinking I should give up crashing too ... I guess it is an addiction.
    Quote Originally Posted by CaliDave
    Who sliced open that tauntaun?
    Me----"This is a results may vary type of hobby, get used to it."

Video Aerial Systems Operations Manager

TBS Discovery - Fly Aways?

There's quite a bit of chatter on RCG about fly-aways on Naza's 3.12 f/w. Being RCG it quickly deteriorated into name calling and accusations of incompetence, but there does seem to be some anecdotal evidence suggesting more problems with 3.12 than earlier versions. I guess there's a 3.14 now and the tinfoil-hatted conspiracy theorists say that DJI found a problem they won't admit to (can't top RCG for drama!). I'll see if I can find the link and post it.

Either way, my understanding is that problems of this sort have to do with the FC, not the airframe, so I wouldn't guess it's airframe specific.

EDIT: here's a link for reference and reading pleasure: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1919850
    Shut up and fly.

ok, before I post the rest of this, let's consider that we test and fly around 20 brand spanking new NAZAs each week, and this is the first occurrence since 4 months. also, this has no connection to the TBS DISCOVERY.

On of our customer's built quads flew off into the HK sunset last Friday. The quad started to act up right off the ground, I went to zero throttle immediately but it started to climb. Immediately I hit ATTI mode which had no effect whatsoever. Roll and yaw still worked, but I was starting to lose roll authority. Since it started banking left I tried to roll her around to get her to hit our building, but just a couple of moments after I hit the rudder she just hit full throttle and left. This was a V1 Naza, V1 software, V1 GPS. I'm ****ing pissed at DJI for producing a firmware where such a slip-up is even possible. they're a big company, they can afford to hire a monkey to just youtube their brand and forward any of these issues DIRECTLY to their engineers. it's a $1500 damage for us, luckily we test this in a somewhat unpopulated corner of HK and luckily the wall it smacked into was already banged up from centuries of abuse and luckily the old lady the barn belongs to is a huge fan of TBS.

Needless to say ... if Naza starts acting up, drifting or anything of that sort, we've got a stick on hand now ready to throw at the quad to pluck it out of the air. Coincidentally, we'll use that exact same stick to beat the living shit out of the DJI rep everytime this happens from now on. and we'll put an extra eye out for weird behavior during calibration and the first flights. there is no reason to believe that this just happens out of the blue, in fact my theory is that the hardware will get to that point right off the bat, maybe on the first or 2nd hard throttle input or bank. even more so, this is an issue that is to be solved at QC, and it better be solved quickly. DJI will hear us loud and clear this week, they're just lucky my contact guy is on vacation for the first half of this week.

And just in case this has not been said enough times already: This has absolutely no relation to the TBS DISCOVERY or any of the work we've done. If this were a TBS product with such a serious QC issue, you can be rest assured that even the cockroach in our sewers would be told to stop slacking around and look for a solution.
    Last edited by Trappy; 14th July 2013 at 11:00 PM.

TBS Discovery - Fly Aways?

It would be interesting to know (a) if these things only happen w/GPS-equipped models, and (b) if switching to manual gives the pilot full control. Of course, these are so sporadic it's hard to gather meaningful data on the problem.

Give 'em hell, Trappy!

EDIT (again): to the OP, dig through that RCG thread (if you have a strong stomach) I don't recall any of them mentioning a Discovery. Could be wrong, but I don't remember any.
    Last edited by PDXDave; 14th July 2013 at 11:06 PM.
    Shut up and fly.

i would suggest maiden/test flight inside, but i don't think you would get GPS lock. that really sucks. maybe tie a string to it
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmaplesong View Post
    When you're outraged at chatch, please don't quote his bullshit.

I have just totalled my quad in Abu Dhabi after flying over Ferrari world luckily it crashed in the field where we could get to!! this update is a disaster cost me $$$$$$ and a wrecked holiday of potential awesome footage at Alaska!! cannot express how pissed off i am!!!!

it's not just the update. V1 is also affected. we never update for exactly these reasons. I am going to give DJI a beating they won't know what hit them for a week.

Quote Originally Posted by Trappy View Post
    I am going to give DJI a beating they won't know what hit them for a week.
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmaplesong View Post
    When you're outraged at chatch, please don't quote his bullshit.

damn!! thats what scares me about any kind of firmware update.. be it quads or even my phone :P

Page 1 of 43 12311 ... LastLast