FPVLAB

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Dio's LR thread

Dio's LR thread

Well, as the title says... long range...

I feel a great sense of achievement when flying far. It s noet only flying. It s about understanding tech, aero and engineering. You want something that flies far, there s no out of the box solution... and thats good.

90% of my stuff is scratchbuilt...

I hope you ll enjoy.

Dio
    Latest Crafts: The Anti-Gravity-Machine, Carbonator, Guava 2m, Wunderwaffe I, Wunderwaffe II, Uberwaffe, Plankton v2, TBS discovery

Where's the beef!
    KJ6BFN

Haha... coming...

Dio
    Latest Crafts: The Anti-Gravity-Machine, Carbonator, Guava 2m, Wunderwaffe I, Wunderwaffe II, Uberwaffe, Plankton v2, TBS discovery

You will need a combination of the following:

1. GS
    2. Antennas
    3. Planes

Dio

1. Ground Station: the goal, 100km video and radio control link.

well, everything that doesn't stay in the air after launching is groundstation to me. That includes the RCTx, VRx and those items. Cable monsters are what I see mostly, few people have nice and integrated solutions. I cannot recall how many GS I built - maybe 3,4?! There was always something missing. I tried 4 RCTx systems: Scherrer, EZUHF, Drangonlink, boosted FRsky...

Here is what I came up with:

* 3S 5000, 2 in parallel for a total of 10 000mAh in capacity
    * solid, military standard connectors for goggles and tracker
    * 2 tracker: one for video, other one for LR, 2X15kgcm servos, to track any antenna
    * (latest idea: repeater to wirelessly connect to the UHF. UHF Tx installed in the tracker, you can go launch your plane, no wire attached)

Dio

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130617_170000.jpg 
Views:	283 
Size:	506.0 KB 
ID:	29146

Name:	20130617_170017.jpg 
Views:	296 
Size:	567.1 KB 
ID:	29147

Name:	20130617_170040.jpg 
Views:	276 
Size:	365.9 KB 
ID:	29148

Name:	20130617_170142.jpg 
Views:	976 
Size:	476.1 KB 
ID:	29149

Name:	20130617_182603.jpg 
Views:	268 
Size:	530.6 KB 
ID:	29150

so everything is powered from one battery. That brings in quite a bit of problems... I'll keep you posted on how to get rid of all the lines...
    Last edited by Dionysos; 14th July 2013 at 02:44 PM.

watching what you do to get clean power. I run my tracker by one battery. My RX and googles are on 7 volt while my tracker is 12 volts. I have no lines in the picture but I get the feeling the tracker is lessen my range.

watching, following and learning like always in your threads
    Whaka's Tinkerings blog --> http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread.php?36623-Whaka-s-Tinkering&p=631753#post631753
    Battle H Virus (home build basher quad tutorial) --> ]http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread.php?12544-Tutorial-Battle-H-Virus
    Range record on 5.8ghz 200mw 24km --> http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1441664

The one thing I know how to do well with FPV - crash. All in a day of fun!
    I believe landing is a full body experience .... I do my best to aim for your body.

Hello Dio, NASA just called and they want their shit back. bwahahahahahahaha Nice work man.

Hehee, thanks...

so for the problems with the GS:

1. Lawmate equipment (RX only, DVR PV-500 ECO) and video out impedance: troublesome, kills your cam (here my TBS69)
    2. Filtering of digi servo
    3. provding clean power to the DVR
    4. counter weight antenna
    5. UHF LRS interference sneaking into the goggle cable
    6. antennas, antennas, antennas
    7. Which UHF?!
    8. My thoughts about RTH
    9. so what Vtx - how far do they go?

On a side note here, what seems so easy - Just pack an additional lipo or two, stick it to your plane with scotch tape and fly further, doesn't make the equation. Lucky Luke "long range" shots, well, they exist, but LR really highlights the technical side. I hope you'll find the one or the other tweak for your system here.

Dio

What... your not sporting any Chicken Sashimi swag? Who is this Strauss guy you speak of?

I really like this thread, it gets to the roots of the technical aspect of this sector of the hobby and outlines the attention to detail and necessary rigor to having a bullet proof setup. Can you give some more details about the "wiring behind the curtain" in your ground station? Why did you select those connectors over other options (like CAT6)?
    When nothing else out there will suit your needs... design and build it yourself.

Name:	Strauss-Smile.jpg 
Views:	4825 
Size:	390.4 KB 
ID:	29240

hahaa...

Well, the connectors have the same kinda shape/diameter but you can choose how many pins you want. they are pretty much the same as the Scherrer LRS, Tx600, uses. I have 5-pin and 12pin plugs. They are also nut-locked, no matter how you pull, they won't come lose. The cable, the white one, is cat 6 shielded cable...

The whole idea of 2 trackers provides also spatial separation between Vrx and RCTx...

cannot be bad...

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast