FPVLAB

image
Page 3 of 104 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 1035

Thread: Ritewing Zephyr FPV Build Manual

  1. #21
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    10,901
    PnoT: to answer your question from RCGroups. A higher wing loading means the plane will fly more stable, less floaty. you won't get as far, but you'll get there with more speed and smoother video. I don't think 6 inches makes much of a difference at that size (that's what she said ... ) but it's just the theoretical "tendency". I don't think you would notice any diff between the 60" and 54", except when trying to load it in your car

  2. #22
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    230
    Quote Originally Posted by Trappy View Post
    PnoT: to answer your question from RCGroups. A higher wing loading means the plane will fly more stable, less floaty. you won't get as far, but you'll get there with more speed and smoother video. I don't think 6 inches makes much of a difference at that size (that's what she said ... ) but it's just the theoretical "tendency". I don't think you would notice any diff between the 60" and 54", except when trying to load it in your car
    Ah, thanks for taking the time to chime in here....

    I'm sorry if I'm not up to the lingo yet but does the 60" or 54" have the higher wing loading?

    What would a ballpark guess be on the difference in range and speed?

    I noticed in your videos you don't have the front of the nose in there anymore. Was it a problem to fit the gopro and your cam and get the angles just right? The 60" is pretty damn nice with all that real estate smack dab in the middle.

  3. #23
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    10,901
    wing loading is the weight per square inch of wing surface. the smaller one with the same equipment will have a higher wing loading, therefore carry stuff more stable, but less efficient/far (alert: rule of thumb!). as the difference in size is only about 10%, I'd be surprised if the difference in stability and speed would exceed 5%.

    mounting the gopro with the camera out of view was and still is a pain. we used the spare wing-beds to make a "stand" at the leading edge, and now tape the gopro to that "stand". keeping it slightly elevated and out at the front is key. don't do stupid landings though, else it's "minus one gopro". totally not worth the risk, but that's kind of our motto these days

  4. #24
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    230
    Quote Originally Posted by Trappy View Post
    wing loading is the weight per square inch of wing surface. the smaller one with the same equipment will have a higher wing loading, therefore carry stuff more stable, but less efficient/far (alert: rule of thumb!). as the difference in size is only about 10%, I'd be surprised if the difference in stability and speed would exceed 5%.

    mounting the gopro with the camera out of view was and still is a pain. we used the spare wing-beds to make a "stand" at the leading edge, and now tape the gopro to that "stand". keeping it slightly elevated and out at the front is key. don't do stupid landings though, else it's "minus one gopro". totally not worth the risk, but that's kind of our motto these days
    Now that makes a lot more sense to me now. I think I'm going to call Chris and see if he can change me to the 60" blunt so the GoPro won't be such a hassle to deal with. Thanks again for pointing out the differences in something I could understand!

    I also have a really unique idea on how to capture video so the more room up front will help out a bit.
    Last edited by PnoT; 15th March 2011 at 06:43 PM.

  5. #25
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    10,901
    if having a clean view in the gopro is your primary concern and you don't fly over the GoPro (not recommended to do so) then going with a Blunt may be a good alternative. I say "may" because I haven't tried the blunt myself. The wing that is currently waiting for shipping at RiteWing HQ is a blunt, though

    If you fly over the GoPro or don't mind doing a "Beauregard" mod (see his RCGroups build thread) then you can stay with a 54" tip-nosed Zephyr.

  6. #26
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    230
    Quote Originally Posted by Trappy View Post
    The wing that is currently waiting for shipping at RiteWing HQ is a blunt, though
    Lemme guess... the 90" blunt

    I was just now researching which camera would work best and I've seen the 2 you recommend on your full blown tbs build and the lite one so I've started there. I think i have 26 pages to go in the camera noise post on RCG =)

    I've also seen Beauregard's build thread and have read everything there and his mod looks pretty clean considering what he's had to do. I'm not an expert at building and would probably butcher my Zephr to death trying to get that mod accomplished

    EDIT* - That thread is slowly but surely dying over there... I think everyone is done with their builds as well heh.

  7. #27
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    10,901
    haha we have a winner but it's a bit bigger than 90"

    the KX171 LV is an endorsed camera. while I don't suggest things I don't try myself and find acceptable, I'd recommend the PX540 and DX201 even on a "lite" build. when it comes to cameras, "second best" is not good enough. TBS will probably come out with their own camera eventually, because the DX201 just doesn't 100% cut it either

    well, as with everything in RCG ... the first ~5 pages are information. after that the trolls take over. after the trolls are done, the same questions get asked over and over because nobody can be bothered to read the filth that the trolls have left behind (and why should they). It's sad, really, because whenever you ask for moderation support on "off topic" posts, they don't listen. When someone specific writes "BS" in an informative post, it gets marked immediately though

  8. #28
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    230
    I thought I'd seen posts or hints of 127" but I could be mistaken but either way that's pretty massive.

    I guess ReadyMadeRC has a custom camera that looks promising and I've asked him for some side by sides to see how it stacks up. We'll see....

    The PX540 would have be shipped on a boat to get here but the RMRC is pretty close http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...roducts_id=347

    Time to punch out.. ttyl Trappy and thanks again for the help!

  9. #29
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    10,901
    we'll need to try the RMRC cameras. they look pretty decent. btw, the PX540 and DX201 are very similar, the only difference is 0.5lux on the PX540 and 0.8lux on the DX201.

  10. #30
    Super Moderator Coyote's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    857
    The CG for a 54" blunt nose is 24cm if you want max performance. You work it out as if its a normal shape then remove the missing section ( tip ) from normal CG and thats what you get. Further forward for easier to fly, 24cm back max

Page 3 of 104 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. New molded Ritewing Zephyr II
    By ritewing in forum RITEWING RC
    Replies: 8911
    Last Post: 5th December 2018, 01:01 PM
  2. Ritewing Zephyr 2 ZII build
    By rockyFLYR in forum FIXED WING
    Replies: 49
    Last Post: 31st March 2013, 12:21 PM
  3. is it easy to fly with the Ritewing Zephyr
    By citi888 in forum FIXED WING
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 31st May 2012, 09:22 AM
  4. Ritewing Zypher ll Build
    By qbert in forum RC TECH
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 23rd December 2011, 10:00 PM
  5. Ritewing Zephyr
    By Herishi in forum DIY
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 5th October 2011, 09:38 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •