Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FATSHARK OR HEADPLAY? OR?

Navigator

FATSHARK OR HEADPLAY? OR?

I'd like to hear from anyone who has used both the Fat Shark and the Headplay goggles and can tell about the differences. Or any other brand for that matter. These aren't things I can just buy one of each to test. I'm looking for a good goggle to fly FPV with and phase out the LCD screens and home made stuff. Looks like the Fat Shark is 640 x 480 and the Headplay is 800 x 600 and that seems like pretty important difference. Thanks

I haven't used either, but the two main differences are that fat shark is more like a ready out of the box system, while the headplay goggles are (arguably) higher quality goggles that require some more work to get functional.

Fat shark attitudes have a slightly higher FoV (35) than the headplay (34), but the headplay has a higher FoV than the dominators (30). The resolution on headplay is higher as you stated yourself. The fat sharks already have some nice fpv features, especially with the attitudes, such as nice eyepieces to block sunlight, built in head tracking and a built in vrx. The headplay goggles will require you to DIY all that.

The main advantage with the headplay goggles is the 800x600 resolution. Now, I haven't used either of them, but I do use my own goggles which have a resolution of 320*240, and let me tell you that resolution isn't all that important. It is way more important to have a good camera and a good video link. The overall picture already looks pretty neat on 320*240, and I am pretty confident that the 640*480 with a good camera will look tenfold better than a 800*600 with a standard or a bad camera. The difference is not significant enough. Especially when you consider most fpv cameras don't have more than like 520 tv lines, which makes 600 pixels "too much" anyway.

The question you'll want to ask yourself is "what do I want to use my goggles for?", and buy goggles for that purpose. If you want the best, top notch goggles you can get and don't mind spending more money and DIY'ing parts, then I'd go with the headplays. If you'd rather have an easy to use system, I'd go with the fat sharks.

Navigator
    Thanks for the great, informative, reply! I forgot to mention that I wear glasses too so that complicates the issue somewhat. Maybe a DIY foam box style is my best option? I haven't heard anyone talking up their goggles fitting over glasses. When you say you use your own goggles, do you mean DIY goggles and if so is there a link to what you built? Thanks again.

I didn't DIY my goggles, although I'm probably going to ski-mod them. They're super-cheap goggles I got off ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-IVS-Vi...item19da71e35b
    They're not high quality or anything, but they're more like "temporary" goggles before I bought expensive ones. After all, I wasn't sure I was going to enjoy fpv that much to spend €400 on a set up right away. I'm but a poor student after all

As for glasses, which glasses do you wear? Some goggles allow glasses to be worn underneath. Fat shark has special lens inserts for near-sighted people. Another option is to wear contacts. I've got -3.0 in both eyes, and wear contacts to correct them, which works perfectly with the goggles of course. The goggles I use allow glasses to be worn underneath, fat shark has inserts, but I'm not sure about headplay. You could always of course DIY some foam eyepiece/goggle that goes over your glasses. Plenty of options to fix that

You might want to check out this guy's idea for DIY lens inserts: http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread....inator-Diopter

And this thread holds a LOT of information on DIY HMD's, well worth the read! http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread....s-and-projects (then again, it's like 600-700 pages, but Brett's posted some of the worthwhile posts in the first post, I'd suggest reading those and skipping the rest )

I have both the Headplay and Dominator goggles. I bought the Headplay goggles first and this is my opinion on it:
    Good:
    - 800x600 does make a difference in video quality, even though the feed is less resolution (Fatshark's next DomHD goggles are 800x600 for a reason)
    - Focus adjustable separately for each eye
    Bad:
    - Liberator box is a nuisance especially if you're standing because the cable from the goggles to the Liberator is fairly short
    - Connectors are prone to failure as they're not designed for rough outdoor use (Liberator protector does help though)
    - Goggles let in a lot of light to the sides and on top. A towel over your head or a ski-goggle mod will solve this
    - They sometimes struggle to lock onto your video feed if the signal is not clear enough, or if you're flying at night
    - You need to secure the goggles precisely in front of your eyes as the lenses don't allow for much off-center alignment

After a while I got fed up with the Headplay's finicky nature and bought the Fatshark Dominator. This is my opinion:

Good:
    - Small and light
    - Good quality glass optics with decent picture
    - Long cable so you can stand and fly or launch your plane with goggles on your head
    - Modular design allowing for extras such as head tracker and video receiver
    - Eyecups block outside light effectively
    - Diopter lens inserts available
    - They're designed with FPV in mind and just work.

Bad:
    - Eyecups tend to come loose. You can easily fix this with a bit of cyano or a ski goggle mod. I used the nifty goggles in my profile pic which is comfortable and works great
    - Diopter lens inserts are limited and people with bad eyesight might have a problem. You can solve this by glueing in your own prescription lenses apparently
    - I'm trying to think of more bad things but I can't

Even though the Dominator is 640x480 I don't miss the 800x600 of the Headplay. It took me only a few flights with the Dominator to forget what the Headplay image looked like. If I have to buy again, I would go straight for the Dominator.
    Fatshark is also bringing out DominatorHD in the next few months with 800x600 resolution and more improvements.
    Last edited by Maximus; 7th July 2013 at 01:30 AM.

I believe the BaseHD and AttitudeHD models fatshark is bringing out somewhere in the (near?) future also come with a 46 field of view, and with a better resolution. Not sure about the pricing though.

Moelich, how much of an improvement is the 800*600 resolution over the 640*480? Considering the effective resolution is lower I really doubt the change is a big deal, but I haven't tried them both so I don't know :P

BaseHD and AttitudeHD have both been cancelled. Fatshark is only doing the DominatorHD for now.
    The difference in resolution isn't major, but it is noticable.

:O really? I didn't know that :S

Well then again I haven't been paying full attention to them either

WHat's the deal with these googles? I've been flying with a $7.00 USB video dongle for a year now and while I don't have the fancy "turn your head to look" feature, it works great and I can record all my flights onto my HD, no DVR required. Disclaimer; I've never flown with googles so I have no idea what it's like.

So everyone drops $300.00 on some fat sharks or what ever and I'm left scratching my head wondering:
    -are they really worth all that money?
    -whats wrong with the sub $100.00 versions Reliku linked (Yeah, 320 resolution, but is the THAT much more expensive for the 640 resolution fat sharks offer).
    -are these the GoPros of the video goggle scene? What are my alternatives? (Like the $30.00 key chain cameras that I love)

I went from a 23" TV to these cheap goggles, and I could immediately notice the difference. When your entire view is black and you can only see the video feed, it just feels much more immersive than staring at a screen with all your surroundings still visible. I'm pretty sure the "better" goggles will only improve this.

What's wrong with these? Inconvenience, needed some DIY'ing to remove malfunctions, obviously the low resolution, not as immersive as fatsharks etc.

What's the pro's of these over a TV screen? Immersion & convenience. For some reason it just "feels" more like you're there. And to be honest, it was both awkward and inconvenient to bring a TV screen when flying.

I don't know about the $300 fat sharks, but I'm planning to buy a pair of them. But I can say that I definitely love the improvement of goggles over a screen. I'd definitely recommend buying a pair if your budget allows, even if it's the cheapo ones I use
    You could even DIY goggles, as many people on the forum have showed. And to me they kinda "complete" the whole picture.

Your alternative is a screen. But for $80, I don't regret buying the goggles.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast