Page 602 of 889 FirstFirst ... 102502552592600601602603604612652702 ... LastLast
Results 6,011 to 6,020 of 8890

Thread: The TBS DISCOVERY PRO - brushless gimbal quadcopter

Navigator
    Hi All! Long time no see
    I'm coming back here because I recently flew my Disco Pro (after 3 months of non-flying!!), and realized that I get much less flight time than I did before.

I did the mistake of keeping the batteries fully charged during the holidays, but still, this is weird.
    Here is what is happening:
    - Fully Charged 4S 5000mAH
    - After 30 secs of flight, my OSD already tells me that batt is at about 15.x V. It used to be 16V.
    - After 5 mins of flight, my OSD says 14.4V and Naza tells me to come back.
    I actually had a hard landing on the snow due to low voltage too. (took me 15 minutes to find it!!)
    - I check battery with battery checker after flight, and it's mostly still at 60%.

It seems that my battery is sending different (very conservative) information to the ezOSD and Naza.
    My charger is acting up weird, so it might be my charger... But still, my battery checker says they are at 100% after they are fully charged.

Do you guys ever had this issue? Do you think it's the batts? Or the charger? Or the ezOSD and NAZA? Or the winter (it's not THAT cold here in Portland....)

Thanks in advance guys!

Navigator
    Quote Originally Posted by Juninou View Post
    Hi All! Long time no see
    I'm coming back here because I recently flew my Disco Pro (after 3 months of non-flying!!), and realized that I get much less flight time than I did before.

I did the mistake of keeping the batteries fully charged during the holidays, but still, this is weird.
    Here is what is happening:
    - Fully Charged 4S 5000mAH
    - After 30 secs of flight, my OSD already tells me that batt is at about 15.x V. It used to be 16V.
    - After 5 mins of flight, my OSD says 14.4V and Naza tells me to come back.
    I actually had a hard landing on the snow due to low voltage too. (took me 15 minutes to find it!!)
    - I check battery with battery checker after flight, and it's mostly still at 60%.

It seems that my battery is sending different (very conservative) information to the ezOSD and Naza.
    My charger is acting up weird, so it might be my charger... But still, my battery checker says they are at 100% after they are fully charged.

Do you guys ever had this issue? Do you think it's the batts? Or the charger? Or the ezOSD and NAZA? Or the winter (it's not THAT cold here in Portland....)

Thanks in advance guys!
    Voltage is always low under load. On my Disco irt is at least 0.6v under the unloaded voltage, so if it's 16.6v when I plug in, it drops to about 15.0v when I takeoff. As the packs age you will find that the entire voltage curve will drop. I've had really new packs that were essentially empty when their loaded voltage dropped to 3.6v/cell, but older packs that were still in good shape when the voltage dropped that low.

It's never a good idea to store batteries full for extended times. If you have a charger that reports internal resistance in the cells, you'll see that increase as the cells age, and if they are mistreated (drained to low or stored wrong) you'll also see it increase. It is sensitive to cold weather, so if it's cold, keep the batteries warm in a pocket before flying. I have also found that the first few cycles on packs after long-term storage can be bad, but the internal resistance will often decrease after a few cycles.

Edit: one more thing, I like to disable the NAZA low-voltage system and just take care of it myself. This means you have to actually pay attention to the voltage in the OSD, but prevents emergency landings that didn't need to happen.

Navigator
    Thanks... Yeah, I'm starting to get the feeling it's the packs...
    I have 5 packs total and flew about 100 loads total with my Pro. So that's an average of 20 on Zippys.
    Considering I've left them fully charged for a couple of months, maybe they're done :-/

Thanks for your reply!

Navigator
    I have 5 packs total and flew about 100 loads total with my Pro. So that's an average of 20 on Zippys.
    Considering I've left them fully charged for a couple of months, maybe they're done :-/

Thanks for your reply!
    On batteries that I baby, I feel really good if I get 100 good cycles out of them. On batteries that get abused a bit, 50 good cycles or so is usual. If they are failing after 20 cycles, I'd be looking at different brands for future batteries.

If the batteries are still showing 60% after a typical flight, I would be tempted to fly them to a lower voltage, as they would appear to be acting as old cells where lower voltage is expected. Either lower or disable the voltage protection in NAZA. Make sure you don't get close to the cutoff voltage of whatever ESCs you are using, as that will end a flight really violently.

Navigator

Thanks for your reply!
    What 5000ma packs are you using that fit in the Pro battery space? What flight times were you getting when the packs were good?
    Thanks

So being new to lipos I have a few questions maybe you all can help me with?
    1st what is considered too low on a 3300 batt and 4500 batt @ 4s? I'm thinking around 3.2v per cell on both packs.

2nd should I always recharge (full) after flying? Or leave at said 3.2v per cell or whatever is recommended ? I currently use a lipo alarm when flying and set it to 3.4 v when it beeps I land. About 11 or 12 minutes on 3300mah. Then when done flying I usually recharge to full so I'm ready to go. Maybe a bad idea if I don't plan on flying soon?

3rd Using a charger like the TBS 80w charger what is the proper settings to put the battery into storage mode? Both for a 3300 pack and also a 4500 pack . Maybe include the procedure for a 3s 3300 pack as we'll.

Thanks for your suggestions. I have spent a lot of time trolling this site. It has really helped me get the most out of my quad.

Regards
    Mark

Navigator
    Do they TBS Bulletproof ESCs that come with the Pro have a cutoff?
    Quote Originally Posted by jones007 View Post
    On batteries that I baby, I feel really good if I get 100 good cycles out of them. On batteries that get abused a bit, 50 good cycles or so is usual. If they are failing after 20 cycles, I'd be looking at different brands for future batteries.

If the batteries are still showing 60% after a typical flight, I would be tempted to fly them to a lower voltage, as they would appear to be acting as old cells where lower voltage is expected. Either lower or disable the voltage protection in NAZA. Make sure you don't get close to the cutoff voltage of whatever ESCs you are using, as that will end a flight really violently.

Navigator

Movie Time

The results of a Monday trip into the the bush (Oz) to Hanging Rock (more on Vimeo). For some reason my post introduced slight frame drop (annoyed), but it's watchable. Shot at 1080/50, I've left it at 720p on Vimeo. This is my second pro and for some reason is far better than the first (currently in Davy Jones locker - may it rest in peace). Still using orange balls all round and this time they handle all but Mach 1 . The bracket I gave up on. Have also put the AMP motor extensions on - they add a bit of smoothness, good for low wind filming. GP Black 3+ on super wide. So many dense trees. a tricky shoot from an fpv vision POV, flying blind often The music is the soundtrack from the film Picnic at Hanging Rock c.1975.

Last edited by thegeek; 25th February 2014 at 06:37 PM.

Navigator
    Quote Originally Posted by jubalr View Post
    What 5000ma packs are you using that fit in the Pro battery space? What flight times were you getting when the packs were good?
    Thanks
    http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=24962

I was getting around 13-15 minutes... Now I'm getting maybe 9... But they still show 60% after I land!!!

Navigator
    Quote Originally Posted by jones007 View Post

Yeah, I might just turn that off. Thing is, I've been out of the hobby for 3 months and am now too lazy to connect it to the computer and stuff
    Anyways, yeah. The only thing I didn't like about turning it off is that it won't even blink red, right? Once its off, everything is off, even the LED indication that you might want to land down...

Thanks again!