FPVLAB

Page 2 of 179 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: Full Cockpit Ground Station construction blog

Thats why I would use a projector.....a screen is way to heavy to move! There are fairly small projectors out there, in fact I already own a couple that i bought for this project to mount on a Pan Tilt system. It would work but would take a lot of fiddling work to calibrate.
    Another option is to use 2 or three FPV systems on the aircraft pointing at different quadrants around the plane then have 2 or 3 cockpit screens arranged around the pilot at the same quadrant locations as their respective cameras. Then you can eliminate HT altogether because the pilot would be surrounded by screens. This option is my favorite and will be the one I probably go with eventually if I take this to the next level. Zee had mentioned this to me a bit back and the thought had crossed my mind as I was deciding on a visual system. The problem with it for me is that it would be hard to use with other aircraft and expensive. But I think ultimately it would be the coolest!
    Brett Hays
    JosephOregon.com
    flitetest.com/articles/fpv-full-scale-cockpit-ground-station-w-42-tv

Co-Pilot
    One work... EPIC... really just amazing work boss..

Can you go with a video switcher and just put up 3 or 4 displays? left/center/right?
    Last edited by RandallJ; 7th June 2013 at 04:29 PM.
    Poke it with a fork.. done...

The projector is a good idea, did I read over that in your post??

(just checked back. I did indeed read over it (in my enthusiasm?). Gosh, that was stupid )

The different screens idea is also a pretty cool idea, but I think putting three VTX's on one plane is going to be fairly interesting, first of all it'd be expensive but secondly it'd also be bad for your general range I think. I wouldn't go with this option, personally. It would give an amazing FOV though!

The projector is a really good idea. If you take a small projector, how about mounting it on your head? I know this sounds silly, but think about it. You'd have instant HT on the screen. It'd be annoying if you want to look at instruments though, so maybe mounting it on top of the seat or something and have it track simultaneously with the camera sounds like a good idea. I'd go with the latter, in fact!
    Of course, you don't want to make the projector project at your cockpit. So the best would be to make it project a screen as large as possible (for immersion purposes) and have the projector not tilt any further than the cockpit itself of course. For range and simplicity purposes (and for the wallet), I think that'd be the best idea.

Hmm, this is a really cool project!

EDIT: Randall, the video switcher sounds like a good idea, but what if you're looking at the border between two screens? Only one screen can be turned on, which would leave you with a fully functional view for only three (or four) directions. Every other direction you'd be looking at would make you see less than 100% of the actual direction you're trying to view, with in the worst case only 50%. A video switcher for two screens at a time could be useful though, but it'd still require 2 VTX's, and I'd avoid that (personally).

EDIT2:

So, something like this sounds like what you're meaning, right?

Red is the screen (with your head in the middle), blue is the projector which pans & tilts simultaneously with the camera in the aircraft. The image is where the camera is looking (respective to the aircraft) and where your head is pointed.
    Last edited by Reliku; 7th June 2013 at 04:58 PM.

Instructor Pilot

Full Cockpit Ground Station construction blog

Hahaha.... I have a great mental image of Brett sat in his cockpit with a projector helmet. I think even his understanding missus would disown him.

Problem with that idea is that you start projecting all over the cockpit too - better to have a fixed pan system in the roof I think.

Brett, go for it. You want the freewing F18 IMO.

Hm, true, but ideally, you wouldn't allow the tilt to go below the angle that wouldn't be visible anymore, if the cockpit was actually there. That's just something to be calibrated out of the system. you're not going to look behind your cockpit anyway

It'd create a huge system though, it wouldn't really be "transportable".

And yes, it wouldn't look very great from the outside. In fact, I think he'd get arrested if he'd walk around with such a helmet, haha! But that's not what matters. It needs to look cool if you're in it!

EDIT: Indeed, the projector might be better off being mounted on the celing of the simulator (admit it, this wouldn't be a chair anymore, this'd be an entire room!). But I don't think it'll make 'that' much of a difference anyway.

Instructor Pilot

Full Cockpit Ground Station construction blog

You can't calibrate it out if you have the projector on your head, whenever you looked down you'd get the projector shining inside the cockpit etc.

Haha. A projector on the helmet is a bad idea indeed. It was just a thought, it shouldn't be really taken seriously!

Quote Originally Posted by Reliku View Post

EDIT2:

So, something like this sounds like what you're meaning, right?

Red is the screen (with your head in the middle), blue is the projector which pans & tilts simultaneously with the camera in the aircraft. The image is where the camera is looking (respective to the aircraft) and where your head is pointed.
    This is EXACTLY what is on my drawing board for the projector. Your thinking is the same as mine on this.......The biggest problem with this scheme is the build. While it is possible to DIY it would take a fair amount of Brett Brain Power (BBP) which I dont have a lot to spare. I have thought of a few different ways to engineer and build such a screen for a projector. It is not going to be easy.

The other problem with using a projector is the "Throw'' distance of the projector and the lumns. The small ones don't have a lot of either. An average size and cheap projector will give you a decent size viewing area 42 to 46 inches at about 5 feet distance and be bright enough to give a great picture. They do weigh about 5 pounds or so-ish. Which is a bit heavy but a big P/T unit could be built for it and be effective. Now we just stepped into the world of ''expensive'' again.

I have thought of every idea you guys have mentioned so far and either dismissed them or put them on the back burner due to expense.......yes....even putting the projector on my head....lol. I do like the switching idea that Randallj mentioned but I just dont want to buy 2 more LCD screens only to have them sit there black until I hit a switch just so I can turn my head sideways. I think just keeping the fwd display and a P/T system would be preferable to that just for expense.

The idea of putting two or three VTX's and cams on the plane is still my favorite but not ideal. The effect on range would of course be a concern but if I am flying in the cockpit I would probably just want to keep it in close anyway......especially in the case of an F-18 EDF or similar. Team Black Sheep has proven time and again that flying with 3 tx in close proximity is possible and their range is not a problem. They fly 3 planes in formation on 2.4 gigs all on different channels.......They do follow a strict protocol to keep from stepping on each other but it involves keeping all the planes together and not straying away from the pack. This certainly wouldn't be a problem for me if all the TX's are on the same wing......lol. 2 cams and TX's would be better, simpler, cheaper, and less of a technical challenge I think but three would be a great goal.

In the meantime however, one screen is going to be enough for now. I have yet to use head tracking anyway on the Zeph II so I can live without it until I am ready to integrate it into the GCS.
    The way I designed this CGS is so it will support a range of ideas and changes as Myself or the FPV community present them. The goal IS after all total immersion......right? So I will take it to the next level as I work the bugs out and several pilots have flown it and I get feed back.
    If I can figure out a reliable way to put a projector to head tracking and build a curved screen then that idea is a close second to a multi screen theater.

my lovely fiance modeling my cockpit and holding on to my joystick!!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	86.JPG 
Views:	639 
Size:	102.7 KB 
ID:	27107
    Last edited by c5galaxy engineer; 7th June 2013 at 07:12 PM.
    Brett Hays
    JosephOregon.com

Also......I forgot to say this. When I designed the dash I actually made it just tall enough to cover the lower part of the screen by just a bit. That way the line of sight can be adjusted by sitting up in the seat a bit to ''look over the nose'' of the airplane. This kind of helps get rid of the feeling that you are just staring at a monitor........it keeps it 3 dimensional so to speak.......knowwatImean?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100.JPG 
Views:	386 
Size:	101.7 KB 
ID:	27108Click image for larger version. 

Name:	91.JPG 
Views:	315 
Size:	71.4 KB 
ID:	27109Click image for larger version. 

Name:	90.JPG 
Views:	323 
Size:	67.8 KB 
ID:	27110Click image for larger version. 

Name:	89.JPG 
Views:	329 
Size:	104.8 KB 
ID:	27111
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	101.JPG 
Views:	251 
Size:	98.9 KB 
ID:	27112  
    Last edited by c5galaxy engineer; 7th June 2013 at 07:25 PM.
    Brett Hays
    JosephOregon.com

You could also have 3 cameras and 3 VRx's statically placed on the aircraft for the front and both sides and 3 monitors at the GS.

Page 2 of 179 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast