FPVLAB

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Motor balancing mystery

Penguin flyerDisco buildr mike20sm's Avatar
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	K4159T081.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	17.3 KB 
ID:	27541I'm no stranger to laser and seismometer balancing, but it would be cool if someone designed a high tech balancer like they use for tires, but a small version purpose built for motors and props. It would be the ULTIMATE in smoothness. Maybe someone with initiative could start a kickstarter? It would be fun for the community to rally together and make a product happen.

Navigator
    now that would be cool. or the manufacture would make the cans or props perfectly balanced from the start. guess they would cost to much then, or to many variables

Quote Originally Posted by mike20sm View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	K4159T081.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	17.3 KB 
ID:	27541I'm no stranger to laser and seismometer balancing, but it would be cool if someone designed a high tech balancer like they use for tires, but a small version purpose built for motors and props. It would be the ULTIMATE in smoothness. Maybe someone with initiative could start a kickstarter? It would be fun for the community to rally together and make a product happen.
    Do you have details on how those machines work?
    I've been for some time experimenting with several ways to make this process easier.
    Despite I have to agree with hjscm, with try to find a cure if the problem source would be so easy to eliminate.
    www. xRotor .net | 0x0FPV00
    youtube.com/Nandox7

Penguin flyerDisco buildr mike20sm's Avatar
    No clue how they work, but I'm guessing they spin it up, detect the vibration and stop the tire in the spot where the weight needs to be added and probably even indicate to the user how much weight to add.

I know how they operate but I don't kown how they detect the position.

I suppose it must be a combination of a rotation encoder with a some sensors, taht can detect the out of balance while the encoder tells in which position it happened.
    www. xRotor .net | 0x0FPV00
    youtube.com/Nandox7

ImmersionRC Support Guru swillhide's Avatar
    They can also detect on different planes IE. If the weight needs to be on the inside of the rim or the outside or can just do a 1 plane balance. These machines are by no means as accurate as you think they are. PLUS are very delicate, I get knuckleheads at work breaking them all the time, hundreds of dollars to re-calibrate.
    AMA # 1015480 HAM Callsign # Procrastinating..
    Futaba 9c w/Ezuhf /Skywalker 1880 or anything else that I can Lawn Dart.
    Retired: Disco(Sold), Skywalker 1900(Dirt Nap), Qav540g/Nazav2/Iosd mk2

Co-Pilot
    Quote Originally Posted by swillhide View Post
    You should. Why balance 2 separate items when they can and should be balanced together.
    Isn't that a fact..
    Not really sure how "out of balance" one of these motors could be but IMHO, it could be a + if it was out of balance a bit.. Rotate the prop on the mount sure beats tape/sanding or any other additive/subtractive balancing routine.. We do this on tires and wheels all the time.. (is what that colored spot of paint on a new tire is about)

Tire balancers use transducers and a "clock" wheel of sorts to find heavy spots, calculate the amount of counter weight and then display the amount.. Also use "strobe" setup to do turbocharger rotating assemblies.. (probably most appropriate for these setups but they spin upwards of 50k... not sure the motor/prop would be happy at that speed..

some whiz kid here should just make a strobe assembly that plugs into the USB port of a smart phone and triggers on the x/y reading so a guy could get an idea of position on the motor to add/subtract weight off the readings off the accelerometers .. From there someone could make an app that converts the size of the oscillation to a physical weight value (like tire machine does).. could make balancing prop/motors a fun job
    Last edited by RandallJ; 18th June 2013 at 04:12 PM.
    Poke it with a fork.. done...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123