Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bad 2.3 transmitter

Bad 2.3 transmitter

Hi I bought the 700mw unit a few months ago and put it on my rvjet. It has a heatsink and is not overheating. However the video goes black after a few minutes.

I put a 1280 TX on and flew out a mile and back, no problems. Put back on 2.3 TX and same deal. Both channels. Although switching channels will put the video back on for 10 seconds before messing up again. WiFi interference was not an issue, phones in airplane mode and I was in the middle of nowhere.

Can I send it back for study and exchange for a 1280mhz unit? I have purchased 3 other 2.3/2.4 TX since this unit so I don't need it any longer.

And yes I can plug in my 700mw rmrc TX or the ibcrazy batch 400mw 2.3 units and they run for hours. It's just a freak chance that I got a bad TX.
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmaplesong View Post
    When you're outraged at chatch, please don't quote his bullshit.

Hey Chris,

Send it back and we will replace it. Do you want the 800mW or 400mW 1280 TX?

Pete

I'd be ok with a 400mW 1280 TX. Thanks!

just a follow up for publicity. it was not a bad tx. there is a RF module and logic board in the RX. there is a cable that plugs in from the RF to logic board. this was loose. Plugged it in and it's working great. took it out 1.5 miles today and there is no need for replacement.

I have been using the 2.3 ghz 700 mw transmitter with good success. I had a small crash on takeoff. The TX seemed to be OK, with the number display still working. It was out of the case with a big heat sink attached, and didn't appear to be damaged at all; i.e., it did not hit anything and was still attached to the plane. A few days later, I was trying it out and didn't have any video. There was still a strong RF signal I measured with a directional coupler, but no video. When all was connected to an identical TX, the picture was fine, so something in the crashed TX is awray.

I de-soldered the sheet metal case and inspected all components and PC leads very carefully, but could find no sign of any physical damage to parts, cracks in the board, or burned-up parts. Incidently, I was mildly disturbed at how sloppy the construction was, with all parts covered in hardened flux, lots of haphazard placement of addional SMD and discrete parts. I guess with the low cost of the TX, this is to be expected. I could not inspect the back side of the board because it was so firmly soldered to the case. I also adjusted the trim pot since its the only moving part, but it made no difference.

Can you suggest what might have gone wrong to cause the video to fail, but still have a good RF signal, and if its possible for me to repair? I guess its not worth too much trouble, and I will just replace the TX with a new one, but I though it would be worth discussing this in case there is something I overlooked.

Dick

It sounds like the video signal is not getting to the tx. I would check the connections to the board and make sure that nothing came loose although it seems you already did that. It could be there is a broken trace on the backside. You can mail it back to us if you want and I'll take a look at it.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by SierraRC View Post
    It sounds like the video signal is not getting to the tx. I would check the connections to the board and make sure that nothing came loose although it seems you already did that. It could be there is a broken trace on the backside. You can mail it back to us if you want and I'll take a look at it.

Pete
    Thanks for the offer. I want to wash off the flux and inspect it one more time, and if I don't see anything, I will ship it to you for inspection.
    Dick

Sent in 2.3 transmitter for you to see.

I returned the transmitter without the case or cable for you to inspect.
    Thanks
    Dick

just checking in, flew the 700mw tx all weekend and it was great! pushing in that RX connector did the trick for sure.

Cool glad its working well!

Dick, got your tx already. I'll let you know what I find.