Thread: TBS ESC Calibration and NAZA (throttle change in NAZA Assistant after calibration?)

TBS ESC Calibration and NAZA (throttle change in NAZA Assistant after calibration?)

This is a n00b question, but I did try searching first and nothing directly relating to the following situation came up. I have a TBS Discovery with TBS ESC's, NAZA M FC, Futaba R2008SB receiver (S-BUS/D-BUS config in NAZA Assistant) and Futaba T14SGH transmitter. I haven't flown this thing yet, but felt I had everything ready to go ... except I hadn't calibrated the ESC's yet. Prior to calibrating ESC's, in the NAZA assistant I had the "Command Sticks Calibration" in the following configuration, A=NORM, E=Reverse, T=Reverse, R=NORM. I had everything setup and working as expected (Control Modes, IOC, Failsafe, etc). The motors would arm when both sticks down/toward each other). Then I calibrated the ESC's (no other changes occurred) ...

After calibrating ESC's following the procedure in this thread (http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread....s-idiots-guide), I go into the NAZA Assistant and throttle is now backward, left stick down/toward me to give throttle. So, I switch the Command Sticks Calibration T from REV to NORM and correct throttle action now represented (left stick up/away to engage throttle). Sadly, it took me a few minutes to figure out how to re-arm motors ... now to arm I need the throttle/rudder stick down/left and aileron/elevator stick up/right.

So, what the hell happened? I can live with the changes, but I'd like to know why I needed to change things up in NAZA Assistant after simply calibrating the ESC's? I can live with the changes I suppose, but they don't seem to match "normal" configurations out there. I've tried recalibrating ESC's a few times, but can't get back to how things were in the first paragraph of this saga. Be gentle ...
    Last edited by anodyne; 21st May 2013 at 07:37 PM.

Navigator
    Hi anodyne, I do not know if this is helpful but you can also reverse all the sticks in your radio. After you calibrated your ESC's directly connected to the receiver (not to Naza) at what position was your throttle stick for the motors to rev up (I hope no props on motors when calibrating). It is quite possible that your aleron/elevon stick is also reversed, did you check in assistant? Check the settings in your radio also to see what is reversed.
    regards - bruce

Quote Originally Posted by bruce356 View Post
    Hi anodyne, I do not know if this is helpful but you can also reverse all the sticks in your radio. After you calibrated your ESC's directly connected to the receiver (not to Naza) at what position was your throttle stick for the motors to rev up (I hope no props on motors when calibrating). It is quite possible that your aleron/elevon stick is also reversed, did you check in assistant? Check the settings in your radio also to see what is reversed.
    regards - bruce
    Hey Bruce,

After calibrating ESC's to receiver (no NAZA involvement) the throttle stick behaved normally (down off throttle/up on throttle). Prior to calibration, NAZA and TX settings both on reverse to get the aforementioned throttle behavior (down off/up on throttle). After calibration, I found that I needed to set NAZA to NORM (leaving TX setting for throttle reversed). Arming behavior changed as well, from both sticks down/together to left stick down/away and right stick up/away. Arming changes aside, aileron/elevator operation remained the same after calibration. I'm just confused by this change occurring directly after ESC calibration. My experiences with quads, fancy TX's and NAZA is minimal, so perhaps this is all normal behavior? Yeah, no props on this machine until I determine some patterns with this ESC calibration/NAZA relationship. I've got a NAZE32 and CC3D to mess with at a later point, but I figured I would keep my NAZA training wheels on for a bit. Thanks for any/all feedback on this "issue" ...

Navigator
    Hi anodyne, certainly one stick down and one up to arm is not normal, which firmware version do you have on the naza? Not familiar with the T14SGH as I have the T10C. Most of the futaba radios are similar. Somewhere something has gone wrong with your setup, it might pay to create a new model and follow DesJardins two videos:-

You have already done calibration of ESC's so that is behind you and will not upset your new model.
    regards - bruce

Quote Originally Posted by bruce356 View Post
    Hi anodyne, certainly one stick down and one up to arm is not normal, which firmware version do you have on the naza? Not familiar with the T14SGH as I have the T10C. Most of the futaba radios are similar. Somewhere something has gone wrong with your setup, it might pay to create a new model and follow DesJardins two videos:-
    You have already done calibration of ESC's so that is behind you and will not upset your new model.
    regards - bruce
    I'll check out the vids/compare against others that I watched previously. I'm running the latest NAZA v3.12, but I don't believe that has much to do with this issue as things were working fine/normally prior to ESC calibration. I'll try creating a new model in the event that there is a mismatch between TX and NAZA as a result of the ESC calibration.

So yeah, after clearing out the TX/model and starting from scratch with settings all is well. In hindsight, I should have just had another beer and reset everything early on. Bruce, thanks for the vids you linked too, they were better than what I was working from. Probably better to complete calibration prior to creating model as well? Shit, this thing might fly yet.